The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Fluid Phoenix Double Deckers and Custom Double Faced (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Carderrez
View Profile
Regular user
Arlington, Texas
188 Posts

Profile of Carderrez
Greetings:

I recently purchased a couple decks of Phoenix Double Deckers for the purpose of creating double faced cards. The only success I have had with standard cards is sanding them down to the desired thickness (hit and miss). I have never been any good at splitting cards try as I might.

I can't bring myself to using the Phoenix Double Deckers even though to have the gaffed cards custom made would cost more. Eventually I am going to probably go for it. I really want a better set of the Sympathetic 13.

I have since purchased 4 more of these decks and have been contemplating creating some fluid utility decks.

Which leads to the following question: Has anyone in this forum tried using these to make double-faced cards, and has anyone created a fluid deck, and were they functional or difficult to use.

I believe I have seen some card work where the two decks are in a specific order in relation to each other in the stack and it could have been a fluid deck, but not a requirement for the specific effect being performed.

On a side note, I'd love to see a Phoenix Double Decker style version of Mental Photography.
Bill08
View Profile
Special user
Montreal
719 Posts

Profile of Bill08
I have never thought of using Phoenix DD's to make double face cards - good idea! Maybe first sand them a little bit (on the backs) with a very fine sandpaper (400+) to take off the finish, so they stick better.
I'm not too familiar with the Sympathetic 13 but maybe you could get some of the cards in a normal Bicycle double-face deck?
Good luck!
Boomer
View Profile
Special user
Prosper, TX
668 Posts

Profile of Boomer
Joshua Jay in his 2nd Penguin lecture talks about using Phoenix DD's to make DFers.

Dave
DadwithAPen
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
39 Posts

Profile of DadwithAPen
Yes - Joshua Jay uses them in a great routine I believe he calls it Reverse in Time.
Boomer
View Profile
Special user
Prosper, TX
668 Posts

Profile of Boomer
I enjoyed that Reverse in Time routine.

Dave
Carderrez
View Profile
Regular user
Arlington, Texas
188 Posts

Profile of Carderrez
I am going to try Harry Robson's Roughing Stick on one of the DDs and see how they turn out. At this point the cards are untried by me. When I found them I had been looking into a very thin card to make up DFers, Good to hear it has been tried and proven to work. Thank you for the feedback. I will report on how they turn out as a fluid deck.
Carderrez
View Profile
Regular user
Arlington, Texas
188 Posts

Profile of Carderrez
I reached out to Shawn Even's at Mimesis Magic a few weeks ago, but he was out doing a tour at the time. I emailed him again and he replied. It appears he's worked these decks before. I decided to send my DDs to him for treatment. He said, and I quote "...when the Phoenix cards are roughed properly, their true potential is reached." I am really stoked about seeing the finished product.
Carderrez
View Profile
Regular user
Arlington, Texas
188 Posts

Profile of Carderrez
I received my decks from Shawn today and I am very pleased with the results. They do require more subtle handling than standards, but they are amazing. I conceived of a new effect, but was not sure if it would actually work. Well not only does it work. It is mind blowing. DDs do work as fluid decks - well at least thanks to Shawn Evan's and his superb craftsmanship on mine.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Fluid Phoenix Double Deckers and Custom Double Faced (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL