The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Pocket trimmer of Tood Larsen (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
mtgoldstein
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston, TX
325 Posts

Profile of mtgoldstein
Peterson, the jig at http://www.theperfectshuffle.com/ can cut Ns
Artie Fufkin
View Profile
Special user
853 Posts

Profile of Artie Fufkin
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2017, mtgoldstein wrote:

Don't be silly - no it can't.

And don't argue with me, you obviously don't know what you're talking about.
Peterson
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of Peterson
€459.00 No thanks.

The point is, I always thought that N Bushy is superior to short cards and I just thought that somebody can prove me wrong.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Each to his own, but one can use what they used to call in my neck of the woods, combination strippers, which merely meant more than one kind. When I say they, it was only one guy actually who used to make them. He made us some belly strippers, which he never cut but polished.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
mtgoldstein
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston, TX
325 Posts

Profile of mtgoldstein
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2017, Artie Fufkin wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2017, mtgoldstein wrote:

Don't be silly - no it can't.

And don't argue with me, you obviously don't know what you're talking about.

Artie - I don't need to argue with you, Eoin can. It's just a precision jig. It can make all kind of cuts. Standard, Bellies, Ins, Notches. It requires only the proper cutting tools and techniques. You are correct it won't cut to the tolerences of Todd's big rig, but for a hand held cutter ... sure.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Well, I don’t know what that means. The bellies we had made were made by using brass templates of the correct shape. The fellow had different templates for different kinds and the templates were simply made from two brass name plates clamped together and those were his jigs.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Artie Fufkin
View Profile
Special user
853 Posts

Profile of Artie Fufkin
Quote:
On Jul 9, 2017, mtgoldstein wrote:
You are correct....

Smile Smile Smile
mtgoldstein
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston, TX
325 Posts

Profile of mtgoldstein
Quote:
On Jul 9, 2017, Artie Fufkin wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 9, 2017, mtgoldstein wrote:
You are correct....

Ha ha. Touché. But FYI cutting Ns with Eion's jig is in the product users manual.

Smile Smile Smile
Artie Fufkin
View Profile
Special user
853 Posts

Profile of Artie Fufkin
Perhaps I shall have to eat my words.
So you're saying that this jig can cut notches accurately and repeatably in at least 6 different locations (X2 = 12 in total) on one card?
Paul H
View Profile
Inner circle
UK South Coast
1135 Posts

Profile of Paul H
I don't think he is saying this. This jig is able to clamp the card securely while the work is put in. There is a scale along face the of the jig that helps line things up but it is not designed to cut the card. However the jig does allow you to shave wonderfully subtle belly strippers.....if that's your thing.

Paul H
mtgoldstein
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston, TX
325 Posts

Profile of mtgoldstein
As Paul says. You don't have to eat your words. I'm sure this probably wouldn't meet your standards. But for a hand held it has the ability to stabilize and it has scaled measurements enough to allow you to put the work in. The technique is however in the users manual as I stated. The accuracy and repeatability is totally up to the skill of the operator in this particular operation. Sorry Artie I didn't really mean to pull the thread off on this tangent. The subject being pocket trimmers I thought I'd throw another into the mix.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
The templates were like a Guitar-radius-gauges ie

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Guitar-radius-......06782175

Tommy
Artie Fufkin
View Profile
Special user
853 Posts

Profile of Artie Fufkin
I thought so.

I can hold a card in my hand and put the work in with a nail file gents, I don't need a 500 dollar jig to replace my hand, and I don't need a "scale" to know where to put the work!
I'll stick to my original statement that this jig doesn't cut n-strippers.

Eoin made a beautiful jig for belly's, shorts, hindu, etc. though, and I hope he sells a million of them ... I just hope nobody reading this thread buys one thinking they're suddenly going to be making n-strippers in the way we speak about them here.

Of course we shouldn't even be speaking about them ... but that ship sailed with dollar signs in its eyes.
Cagliostro
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Profile of Cagliostro
Quote:
On Jul 10, 2017, mtgoldstein wrote:
As Paul says. You don't have to eat your words. I'm sure this probably wouldn't meet your standards. But for a hand held it has the ability to stabilize and it has scaled measurements enough to allow you to put the work in. The technique is however in the users manual as I stated. The accuracy and repeatability is totally up to the skill of the operator in this particular operation. Sorry Artie I didn't really mean to pull the thread off on this tangent. The subject being pocket trimmers I thought I'd throw another into the mix.

Let me ask, has this critically important issue been resolved???

Are both Artie and MTGoldstein correct? Does Eion's jig cuts N-Strippers (so MT is correct) but not to the exquisite tolerances required by Artie (so he is correct.)

Huh??? Smile

Well okay, I'm glad that we've seen possible resolution because I have been losing a lot of sleep over this difference of opinion for the past several days.

However, both Artie Fufkin and MTGoldstein have very conveniently ignored an important function of these type devices which was alluded to in the post I made on the thread, Looking for a card punch, as follows:

Quote:
On Jun 2, 2017, Cagliostro wrote:

...So what is next step in punch instruments?...perhaps a punch that also makes sandwiches so the card table practitioner could enjoy nourishment while putting the work in...

This more advanced concept of making sandwiches would also apply to Stripper deck jigs and I was surprised it was not addressed by either Artie or MT. I don't mean to be impolite, but this egregious omission seems to border on gross negligence and additionally creates serious credibility issues for both Artie and MT.

Then again, it just may have been an oversight on both their part that will be addressed in futures posts. In the interim "hope springs eternal" that perhaps a correction will be forthcoming.

(Of course, Artie may erroneously construe my post herein as a backhanded insult, but I can assure everyone I am completely incapable of such subtlety.)

I should add that this concept of making sandwiches does not apply to bush trimmers. If should but for some inexplicable reason does not. Perhaps an enterprising magician-demo-hobbyist-expert "crooked gambling" device maker will address this shortcoming in the future.

And the world keeps spinning...and I won't say "and so do I" because everyone has figured that one out already. Smile
Peterson
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of Peterson
"And the world keeps spinning...and I won't say "and so do I" because everyone has figured that one out already."

If you have to say you is - you ain't
Cagliostro
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Profile of Cagliostro
@Peterson:

Touche... Smile
TH10111
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of TH10111
Cag, I'm going to have to report your posts for exposure.
There is really no reason to be tipping the most coveted of all gamblers' secrets on a public forum.
It is a tragedy that sandwich work has been revealed this way.
This kind of work has been getting the money for centuries, but now the whole world knows...
Cagliostro
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Profile of Cagliostro
Guys...it seems like I'm not the only one who is "spinning." Smile

On a more serious note though, I have been receiving some anonymous phone calls from people who are voicing their displeasure in no uncertain terms about this exposure. At first I did not know what to do about these ominous calls but now I simply tell them to talk to my manager, "Artie." Yup, any problems, see "Artie."
mtgoldstein
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston, TX
325 Posts

Profile of mtgoldstein
Cag
Well being a hand held jig you have to manually load the sandwich components into it but once secured. It will cut N s Smile. Or for that matter Ts, or Zs, almost any letter you want , but it has trouble cutting the closed letters like O , P, Q. Need the big rig for that. But remember if it's a Reuben your making the Russian Dressing 's thinner than mayo so if you tighten too much it will ooze out. Smile
Mark
Cagliostro
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Profile of Cagliostro
@mtgoldstein: You error of omission above has been rectified and your credibility has been restored.

More importantly, it is but nice to see people lighten up occasionally. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Pocket trimmer of Tood Larsen (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL