The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Has Gene Simmons gone too far? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I know Gene has been the "King" of self promotion and merchandising (KISS Merch) for many years. BUT...

As of the news story I heard tonight, I better give one of these while it is still "Public Domain" Smile
Gene Simmons is trying to get this Trademarked claiming he was the first person to use it back in the 70's (although it has been in American sign language meaning "I Love You" since the 1800's and also is pictured on the Beatles "Yellow Submarine" Album Cover with John's hand oriented in the opposite direction. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_Sub......over.jpg

I know Gene is the king of merchandising, but this is a bit ridiculous. Rock on (cause you are off your rocker Gene) Smile

Now, my questions are - (A) Can you really trademark something like this?
(I remember a big issue not too long ago (a year or two maybe) about a song sounding a bit like a Tom Petty song and him getting paid a good bit because his "tune" was used).

And (B) If he did somehow get this done, can anyone be penalised for using the gesture? (If so, I have another hand gesture using two less fingers for him) Smile
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10604 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Since Gene trademarked the money bag several years ago, this doesn't surprise me.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On Jun 15, 2017, Poof-Daddy wrote:
(although it has been in American sign language meaning "I Love You" since the 1800's

I thought it was the same gesture, it's had me confused awhile as to whether it was or does it only use the index and pinky finger? Don't some call that the "sign of the beast" ? I see some google references to the "horned hand" so I think maybe it's not the same as the I love you sign language.

I know Elvis used the "I love you" sign. Maybe you're confusing him and Gene Simmons. Smile Smile

Thanks for making me finally look that up, I think.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Technically, Elvis used the "aloha" thumb and pinky, but it, too, can denote "i love you". Smile

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
So ol Gene is bored huh?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
747 Posts

Profile of karnak
The late, great Ronnie James Dio was the first rocker I ever saw use it extensively (and it stayed closely associated with him for the rest of his life).

He said making the gesture had been his Italian grandmother's traditional way of warding off the "Evil Eye."
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Aleister Crowley was an English occultist, ceremonial magician, poet, painter and the Beatles were his fans. I think we will find it published in one of his old books.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
If it's anyone's, it's Dio's.
MultiSlacker
View Profile
New user
GA
59 Posts

Profile of MultiSlacker
Trump, hillary, and simmons. the very best of the baby boomers.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Better be careful using those first two names. Could get this thread deleted - or worse - get you banned from the Café.

(The rules state: no politics).
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
747 Posts

Profile of karnak
Quote:
On Jun 16, 2017, tommy wrote:
Aleister Crowley was an English occultist, ceremonial magician, poet, painter and the Beatles were his fans. I think we will find it published in one of his old books.

And in keeping with the musical theme, here is a live early (1981) performance by Ozzy Osbourne of his modern classic "Mr Crowley":
https://youtu.be/G3LvhdFEOqs
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
Russell Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Hampshire, England
1108 Posts

Profile of Russell Davidson
The rock connection to that hand symbol belongs to Dio as Karnak correctly stated.

Only someone with an ego like Simmons would claim otherwise.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
It is a sign used in a game played by surrealist artists, who were indeed occult magicians. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Book-Surrealist......70620849

It is all about being anti-rational - like magic.

If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Has Gene Simmons gone too far? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL