The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Please Vote for a "At The Card Table" reprint (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Aug 2, 2017, johnstu wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 29, 2017, magicfish wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 26, 2017, johnstu wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 8, 2017, magicfish wrote:
NOOOOOOOOOoooooooo......

I'm confused, you want people to read books, but you don't want books to be available for them?

Unless this is a joke that I don't understand

The book is available with or without a reprint.

I'm confused, you want people to read books, but you don't want books to be affordable for them?

Define affordable please.
johnstu
View Profile
Regular user
London
161 Posts

Profile of johnstu
Quote:
On Aug 15, 2017, magicfish wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 2, 2017, johnstu wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 29, 2017, magicfish wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 26, 2017, johnstu wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 8, 2017, magicfish wrote:
NOOOOOOOOOoooooooo......

I'm confused, you want people to read books, but you don't want books to be available for them?

Unless this is a joke that I don't understand

The book is available with or without a reprint.

I'm confused, you want people to read books, but you don't want books to be affordable for them?

Define affordable please.

I should think the point is fairly obvious. A reprint price is more affordable than the ebay prices for the book, those prices put the book out of reach of many, particularly the younger magicians. I find it difficult to believe that you needed help to understand that point.

Pretty much your entire ethos presented on the Café is that people should read books, particularly paper books. I don't disagre with that, apart from being perfectly fine with ebooks. But combined with that you also have this attitude which appears to be at odds, that books should be strictly limited in their printing.

The only reason I can see for this is to maintain the high resale prices of these books, I don't see any other way that a reprint would affect you to make you care negatively about it. This seems more important to you than people having access to the information contained within at the price of entry that reflects Darwin's opinion of the value of the book (ie the RRP), rather than a premium for scarcity.
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1406 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
In a nutshell:

Magicfish finds a ladder, climbs it, happily pulls the ladder up after him, and waves smugly at the people down below.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
1. Unfortunately, Tim is being... himself again.
2. Im not sure what you mean by paper book.
3. For the love of #@!% don't let the lunacy of ebay be your benchmark for pricing.
4. As my friend Eugene Burger used to say, being a magician takes effort...(he didn't mean just practice)
Those who seek will find.
The information is available to those who seek it. Sometimes it's good for things to become rare.
How dare I.
Commence flaming.
johnstu
View Profile
Regular user
London
161 Posts

Profile of johnstu
Again you forot to actually say why you think books should not be reprinted,
seemingly more interested in (surely willful) ignorance of what common objects are called, and ascribing things that I never said (eBay?).
But most horrific, the unseemly invoking of a beloved figure the magic community is currently mourning to make a non-point. That is quite the lowest level I've ever seen you sink.

Apologies to shakuni and to Darwin Ortiz, I think this thread has been derailed enough.

I already own the book but I heartily vote for the reprint
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Yes. I believe you have derailed it enough. Your hostilities aside, I have always hoped that Darwin's masterpieces wouldn't be reprinted. You disagree. Your opposing opinion is fine with me, but for same reason, my opinion is not okay with you. In fact uou have now become confrontational and disrespectful.
I will try this again.
1. I do not know what a paper book is. Every book ive ever encountered has been paper. I always just called them books.
2. Yes you most certainly did say ebay. Please re-read your post above about ebay prices being beyond your reach.
3. Eugene was a friend, and your repugnant implication of a superficial invocation of his name is the only thing horrific in this thread thus far.

Sir, I am a bibliophile with a large library of books on many subjects.
There are books on botany, zoology, masonry, astrology, art, etc., that I also hope are not reprinted.
I adore these works and admire their authors as I do At The Card Table and Darwin Ortiz.
I agree with Jaun Tamariz that magic should be learned from books.
Many of which, I don't wish to see reprinted- it doesn't mean they won't be, they most certainly will be. And that's just fine, as are our differing opinions on the matter. Good day.
johnstu
View Profile
Regular user
London
161 Posts

Profile of johnstu
Apologies, on rereading you are quite correct, I did mention eBay.

I also withdraw my assertion regarding Eugene, whom I am, as I'm sure we all are, currently very upset over, so perhaps have a short fuse about his memory being brought to bear at this time. I accept that you meant no disrespect to him and my reading of it may have been coloured by my mourning.

As you note, we disagree completely on this reprinting, yet I hope we can exit this conversation on friendly terms.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
My hope as well, thanks John.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Please Vote for a "At The Card Table" reprint (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL