The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » One handed cuts (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DrNorth
View Profile
Veteran user
North Starr Entertainment, Harrisburg PA
364 Posts

Profile of DrNorth
Recently I started playing with one handed cuts and shuffles. After a week of toying with them, l had a startling realisation. As a right handed person, I found I was doing these manipulations left handed! When I tried with my right, I flt far more awkward and clumsy. Is this common? Any ideas why this would be?
Smile
"For it shows things that were, and things that are, and things that yet may be. But which it that he sees, even the wisest cannot always tell"
~Galadriel

"A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes."
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
I am right-handed and I also do my one-handed cuts and shuffles (and also the coin roll) with my left hand. I just checked Henry Hay's _The Amateur Magician's Handbook_ and he photos of his hand also show the coin roll and the Charlier Cut being done with the left hand.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Googoomafint11
View Profile
New user
I actually have more than only
28 Posts

Profile of Googoomafint11
It's interesting for sure. I know a lot of tutorials are taught using the left hand, but I started with magic and kind of taught myself the charlier cut, and automatically chose to do it with my right hand, as I am right handed and thought that would be easiest. From there I've actually always started learning a one handed cut with my right hand, and now can do a whole bunch smoothly with my right hand, only some with my left hand, and not quite so smoothly...
Definitely something interesting though...
Error 404
Code _signature_ not found
RudolfRassen
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of RudolfRassen
I am right-handed and I can do the Charlier with my right hand. however, I am much better doing it with my left hand.

Then again, I eat with my left hand as well, so maybe there are certain physical preferences depending upon the task...
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
On Jun 27, 2017, DrNorth wrote:
Recently I started playing with one handed cuts and shuffles. After a week of toying with them, l had a startling realisation. As a right handed person, I found I was doing these manipulations left handed! When I tried with my right, I flt far more awkward and clumsy. Is this common? Any ideas why this would be?
Right handed people typically hold a deck for dealing in their left hand. Because of this your right hand is less "familiar" with holding and manipulating an entire deck.
iccemann101
View Profile
New user
Dark Side of the Moon
50 Posts

Profile of iccemann101
Interesting I had the same issue when I started but kept doing it with both hands till I got good at both.
However I will say that there are some things I can only do with my right hand and other things I can only do with my left, that is do well.
Not sure of the reason behind it but never the less that it the way it is.
EasyK
View Profile
New user
The secret is in one of my
79 Posts

Profile of EasyK
I'm right handed and it feels more natural to use my left hand to do one handed cuts. Don't know why this is. When I do coin magic I feel more comfortable with my right hand.. Very strange.
'My brain is the key that sets me free.'
- Harry Houdini
galerius
View Profile
Loyal user
Piemontese Alps ( Northwestern Italy )
245 Posts

Profile of galerius
Not only I do one-handed cuts and shuffles slightly better with left hand ( while I'm right handed ) but, since I started card magic, I noticed my left ring finger - and the pinky as well - were significantly stronger than the right ones. This difference persist to this day. As EasyK said, very strange !
macc
View Profile
Loyal user
205 Posts

Profile of macc
The best would be to learn one handed cuts with both hands. If you have a one handed cut down wit both hands you can do very nice combos. Even if you're just using charliers. Look for example at this tutorial by the virts:
https://youtu.be/ga2Xhzr98gU

Some people even begin to learn with their non dominant hand.
scottvraneshfallin
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas, NV
56 Posts

Profile of scottvraneshfallin
I first learned the Charlier Cut with my left hand and that hand is still much better at it than my right hand is. I'm better at riffle stacking off my left thumb than my right as well. It is odd. I'm a righty.
lighthouse9
View Profile
New user
Michigan
50 Posts

Profile of lighthouse9
I wondered about this as well. I'm a righty, but much better at the charlier cut and a few other things with my left hand. Glad to hear it's common. Like a right handed guitar player using the left hand on the fret board, which seems like it would be much more difficult.
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
One factor is that we are used to holding the whole deck in the left hand and dealing with the right hand, so any sleight where the hand holds the whole deck may affect your preference.

I am right-handed and do the Charlier Cut and the one-hand shuffle in my left hand. But I do split fan productions in the right hand.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
magictechy007
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of magictechy007
I am right-handed and I can do the Charlier with my right hand
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » One handed cuts (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL