The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Time after time » » How to practice? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
domf
View Profile
New user
Canada
67 Posts

Profile of domf
Quote:
On 2004-05-10 15:17, j wrote:
Jon,
Do you find that a recorded performance is much better than a mirror? I am beginning to video tape myself and wonder if this is a worthwhile venture. Your thoughts greatly appreciated.

That's what I was thinking of too. Just bought a small HD camera with slow motion.

Best
Dom
kal
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of kal
I think there are really three areas being discussed here, the original point of 'practice how', the use of recording yourself versus a mirror, and the more fundamental point of motivation/goals.

For me, and coming from my background, I can say the best way to understand your situation (in any regard) is take yourself out of the situation, literally. Don't be a magician, be something else and ask the same questions.
You are a boxer.
Let's start again under that premise. What do you want to do? Be the champion of the world? Win an olympic medal? Beat up the local bully?
We'll go with the first one, just because it's the most ambitious.

You now know where you're going and what all you're work is actually going to be for. This is so, so, SO important. If you do not know where you are going, then you are going nowhere. Start from the big and go to the small. Set those goals.

Now what? Well what does a champion boxer need to be the best? He needs to look at himself and figure out what kind of boxer he is. His persona so to speak.
This is ongoing of course, and will change based on the kind of battles he will find himself in, until he is comfortable and confident in himself and his abilities.

And what abilities should he possess? Speed, stamina, strenght and many more.
There is a wide range, all important and they need to be addressed.

So what one would do is learn that punch, that move. And practice it. Practice is by himself again and again until that move is perfect. And the next move, and the next move.

Then you make a combo and put it all together. Then you have to learn to dance. Don't worry, no one is the 'Greatest' in their first fight. When you perform you'll learn, you'll see those mistake and, if you are still focused on your overall goal, then you'll work in them to get better.
But you'll have the experience of how these things work. And you can work on it.

Discipline, repetition and determination are what are necessary.

Why do you do this?
What are you aiming for?
What do you need to make that happen? (The act)
WHEN will this happen. - often overlooked. You need to push yourself. Not unrealistically but you should have a framework in your head for when you want to perform, when you want to be able to be professional/semi-professional/impressing the hot girl next door.
You need to practice then. And over and over.

Knowing your persona and knowing your goal you will always train, practice and practice some more. Sometime you'll want to, sometimes you won't but you will do it. Because it matters to you.

This whole article is pretty serious in tone, I understand...I can certainly go off on one! However, I feel that you must REALLY commit yourself if you want to succeed. No matter what the field is, or the art form involved.
Even if your goal is small in your opinion, you have to honestly and totally, figure out how much you want it. Life is so beautiful, and so *** short, that we shouldn't waste it with confused priorities.

On the subject of actual practice I would say, only because it works for me, to work on the physical move (if their is one). Perfect that until it is second nature.
Now work on patter. Work the patter and perform the move and the patter.

It's now time to see how it looks...but not to people! Sacre Bleu no! Camcorder time. And we'll shoot it again, and again, and again and again and again....and from different angles! Of course each recording gives you ideas on pacing, timing, holes, shadows, lights, and the need for new, or less, patter.

When all that is perfect, your almost ready...now I would suggest having an opening effect to this effect (something self-working perhaps that you're very comfortable with), and then a back-up in case the trick isn't running smoothly. And if it does run smoothly...but doesn't go over well at all, you should have something to move onto that will blow them away and make them forget the previous 'dud'.

"I hated every minute of training, but I said 'Don't quit. Suffer now and spend the rest of your life as champion'"
- Muhammad Ali
I'm always honest about when I'm lying. And I'm always lying...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Time after time » » How to practice? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL