The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Using Snakes in the show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

kippteacher1
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of kippteacher1
Does anyone use or know of a magician that uses a snake in their show? I've used my ball python (over 5 feet long) in my show for 10+ years. I'm interested in learning how others incorporate them into their acts and what tricks they use for it. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!

Dave
www.magicaldave.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Dave! You need to learn how to use the search engine! "It" says: "magicians helping magicians" at the mast head. I just helped you.

This has been discussed before, and not long ago! --and just below!

"...and what tricks they use for it..." --They use a PROP for "it", not a TRICK!

The late Al Robbins, produced a HANDFUL of LIVE RATTLESNAKES! I saw him do it!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Quote:
Dave! You need to learn how to use the search engine! "It" says: "magicians helping magicians" at the mast head. I just helped you.

This has been discussed before, and not long ago! --and just below!

Dick, this might be a little harsh especially towards a new user. The search function can be a little daunting if you don't know what you are looking for. For example if you search for snakes, the correct reference will not come up but if you are specific and type ball python, the topics on other animals comes up. It may have been better as amagician helping magicians to just
give the link below to help Dave out.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......start=40
Where the magic begins
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Dave! I believe in helping, or guiding. but, not doing the research FOR the person. I have mentored many young guys. --and, many of them are now working professionals, some are avid amateurs. Heqq! I mentored Doug Henning. (I didn't "lecture", I MENTORED!) They learned to use the Dewey Decimal System (793.8!). These days, they learn to use the internet. Admittedly, I do tend to lose patience with those who appear to be looking for a free ride!

The post just below his, ("other animals") had comments by Rook, and Chad C. on snakes. I had added a few stories, myself

I learned early, long before the internet, that the best teacher, MOTIVATES the learner, even makes the learner curious!

"Education is not 'filling a pail', it's building a fire."

I start my lectures by telling the group, that, "I can't TEACH you ANYTHING! I can only HELP you YOU TO LEARN!

Sophocles said "it" a few millenia ago: "One learns by DOING the thing!"

"There aint no such thing as "free lunch".
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Dick, I agree with you 100% but in this case, because of the way the search function works on the Café, it would have been more helpful to just provide the link as I did rather than just telling him to search. The post below his "other animals" is the link I provided.

No harm done. I'm sure Kipp got the message
Where the magic begins
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I'd like to see this thread expand on audiences' reactions to snakes in particular. I brought my Ball Python to a public event once, and was thrown OUT, with gusto, I might add...rather embarrassing. I was told I could be arrested, This was Florida. Other animals have given me trouble. A white mouse. Jumped off the table. The screaming women standing on chairs was a YouTube moment...

Some people have a deathly fear of snakes. Pulling one out of a hat at a show for a surprise ending is...not recommended. Smile

Doug
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Right Doug!

I lectured on a big python, when I was a teen, in a carnie side show, but, never in a magic show. People are too ready to sue, nowadays!

the last time that I worked the Magic Castle, I did my dove routine, and a guy in the middle of the house, almost had a heart attack!
Rook
View Profile
Special user
I went to the Magic Cafe and all I got were these lousy
834 Posts

Profile of Rook
Before I book a show, I check to make sure with the organizer whether a) The use of animals is okay at all and more recently b) If I can bring the snake. Mind you, I've only recently added her to the show, so we have a very small sampling of reactions, but so far I've had no complaints (although a few requests to meet the snake after the show).
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

-Roald Dahl
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Using Snakes in the show (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL