The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Vault - Naked Deck Switch by Charlie Frye / Download (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

therealbrogilbert
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of therealbrogilbert
Charlie Frye is well known around the planet for his out of this world physical comedy and juggling skills. What a lot of people don't know is that he is also a brilliant creator of real world magic! This fooled me badly when I first saw it and it truly is a wonderful tool to have in your arsenal. Instant download also includes three great bonuses from a legendary project from years past. If you are reading this now you can download it from your favorite dealer today!

https://www.murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=60181

http://themagicwarehouse.com/DX0181/the-vault.html

http://www.hocus-pocus.com/prod/43227/Th......DOWNLOAD
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1693 Posts

Profile of The Duster
I'm looking for a really good deck switch

So I was hoping for the best when I saw this

I don't have it - but I think you have to have two packs of cards out in the open [maybe that's the 'naked' bit - them being out in the open... but the cards are covered in the a box so not naked?] - the 'move' looked funny to me. It feels like neither the boxes can be examined as they are heavily un-naked/natural.

Unless I am wrong and the boxes are the same both sides [?]

But it seems pretty un workable for me

I really would love to be wrong - as I said I am looking for a great deck switch - so I can have a deck freely shuffled and then switch it for another deck
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
You're not wrong, watch the vid again. Pretty clear the boxes are not examinable.
And also, a deck switch when there are two boxes on the table is not really going to work for everybody.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
Eugene Chekhov
View Profile
Elite user
~Magic~
453 Posts

Profile of Eugene Chekhov
I fell in love with it, I think over the routine of the voodoo card - I think it's an excellent switch. Smile
I love the magic & history of magic! My favorites magicians - Dai Vernon, Max Malini, Fielding West, Michael Finney, Jeff Hobson, Bob Sheets, Nick Lewin, Harry Murphy, Dick Oslund- great showmen of magic!
Eugene_Chekhov@yahoo.com
mh1001
View Profile
Special user
602 Posts

Profile of mh1001
This really doesn't look good at all, even on camera. The move he did, I think anyone watching this carefully knows what happened. Also, not only this one requires two boxes but also is best done on a table, not standing up. In my opinion, the best deck switch so far are Cold Case and Fracture.
Eugene Chekhov
View Profile
Elite user
~Magic~
453 Posts

Of course, Gold is a whole system of switches. But this version can very well be used for performers. Personally, I'm doing a trick where Gold is not appropriate!
This is the way out! For me! I have about 6 different switches, and they all have their pros and cons. I am a perfectionist and very carefully think over the smallest details. This switch works a fraction second and you can put another deck in your pocket.
I love the magic & history of magic! My favorites magicians - Dai Vernon, Max Malini, Fielding West, Michael Finney, Jeff Hobson, Bob Sheets, Nick Lewin, Harry Murphy, Dick Oslund- great showmen of magic!
Eugene_Chekhov@yahoo.com
Ceierry
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1582 Posts

Profile of Ceierry
It is indeed beautiful. I mean, it's workable and while you do a switch, just talk.

Btw, do you believe layman is aware about gimmicked card cases?
Author of 10S Star Sign Divination - olivier.ceierry@gmail.com for a digital copy.
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1693 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Quote:
On Jul 30, 2017, Ceierry wrote:
do you believe layman is aware about gimmicked card cases?

do you believe laymen are all stupid [?]

laymen are just people [sorry should have put spoiler alert in before that statement]

so do I think any people would think that the box for a pack of cards could have one colour on one side, and another on the other side [?] do I need to answer that?

or put this another way...

do you think laymen watching this trick will not see something strange if they are burning your hands when you do this 'weird' move [?]

of course you will be distracting them - when you make the move - I just don't like this move/effect - I'm looking for a cleaner effect
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1693 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Quote:
On Jul 30, 2017, Eugene Chekhov wrote:
Gold is a whole system of switches

Did you mean cold [case] ? Or is there a deck switch project called Gold [?] any details would be of interest - as I said I am looking for a good deck switch

I really don't like this one - as you need two decks out - and it's no good for the sort of shows I want to use it for

Thanks
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4191 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Based on the demo I can't see how this could possibly be workable in the real world. You need a situation where you have a red deck and a blue deck but the blue deck will never be used, the cards then there'd to go back in the box and then both boxes need to be picked up and only the red deck given back. Could this be why the switch is demonstrated in isolation and not in actual performance?

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown and Harpacrown Too are available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Eugene Chekhov
View Profile
Elite user
~Magic~
453 Posts

Yes, I meant the Gold Case, it's a whole system, I think this is what you are looking for, but there are also pluses and minuses. A minus is an angle. This is a very strong trick - which will last you very long.
Smile
I constantly hear that many tricks do not work in the real world. I love this phrase. So this little trick - will be have only a few magicians - makes it inestimable.
Eugene_Chekhov@yahoo.com
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1693 Posts

Profile of The Duster
It might be me being thick - do you mean Cold Case [with a C] ?

As I can't find any Gold Case [with a G]

I'm guess you meant Cold Case but if you don't please let me know who brought it out [if it's a different product] so I can check it out

I will check out Cold Case - so thanks for the 'lead'

All the best

x
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4191 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Cold case at least only uses one box which is apparently the box the deck came out of.

As far as whether the box can be examined, in 40+ years I have never once had anyone ask to examine a card box, the cards occasionally but not once ever has anyone asked to examine the box.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Ceierry
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1582 Posts

Profile of Ceierry
Quote:
On Jul 31, 2017, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
Cold case at least only uses one box which is apparently the box the deck came out of.

As far as whether the box can be examined, in 40+ years I have never once had anyone ask to examine a card box, the cards occasionally but not once ever has anyone asked to examine the box.

Mark

Same here Smile
Author of 10S Star Sign Divination - olivier.ceierry@gmail.com for a digital copy.
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1369 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
There are no good deck switches and there are no bad deck switches.
There are only good moments and good circumstances to do a deck switch.
In most cases, it will be the circumstance that determines which deck switch to use and it happens (almost) always in an unguarded moment.

Therefore, it is (almost) impossible to do a perfect deck switch on camera.
corpmagi
View Profile
Special user
New York
725 Posts

Profile of corpmagi
I think this would easily fly by any layman. We all know it's a deck switch and we are looking for a deck switch in this video. If you knew nothing about what 's to come and this switch was done in the context of a longer routine with some time misdirection, this would fool most anyone.
A Modern Trade Show Handbook
www.trafficstoppers.com/handbook
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1693 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Quote:
On Jul 31, 2017, Mark_Chandaue wrote:

The wizard guys both gave it 91%

BUT they were very firm on the gimmick being good, the teaching and video being good [but super long 3hr+] and every switch [he shows a few] is not good

They say the last one [Fractured by Daniel Maison] is very good - and it's that one, that they say makes the project so good

I haven't seen Fractured - so not sure how it works

I actually got a Penguin lecture a while ago, just becuase it had on it a very good deck switch... it was magic [so most the rest of the lecture was not of much interest to me, though I enjoyed it as the lecture giver was very good] I believe it was Shawn Farquhar

I also have The Art of Switching Decks by Roberto Giobbi on my radar but it is too expensive for me [at the moment] as I don't think I learn that well from books
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4191 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
For a lovely deck switch watch Jan Forster's lecture, in fact just watch it, it's awesome.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1693 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Great - I have it already... not watched it yet

I did email Penguin and ask if you were going to be doing a Live Lecture with them soon [thought that might speed them up in asking you... though on reflection that might have black balled you]

Thanks again
Argon
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
159 Posts

Profile of Argon
Another option is Shawn Farquhar, switch, similar to Jan's.
Another great Penguin Lecture or separately on Palmer Magic.
Cheers
Stefan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Vault - Naked Deck Switch by Charlie Frye / Download (10 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL