The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Makes a Wizard Proud - "The Black Magic Tiles of Merlin" (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Man, I don’t know how this guy keeps coming up with this stuff. If it’s not authoring interesting magic books, or actually crafting beautiful magic pieces made of wood, all in between he’s coming up with even more magic. That he is a noted doctor with a special love and expertise in mathematics and music, well, you’ve got a very gifted mind pondering all this stuff to great results. Dr. Larry Barnowsky has come up with yet another beautiful piece of hand-crafted magic, The Black Magic Tiles of Merlin. This is a showpiece of a coin trick, presented with some wonderful crafted wood pieces. Here’s what happens...

Three silver dollars, an ornate coin box, and two mysterious wooden tiles are displayed…One by one each of the silver dollars is seen to vanish into the black hole of the wooden blocks, and then one by one they as mysteriously reappear.

www.barnowskymagic.com/Merlintiles.html

This is a beautiful effect and brings a nice creative alternative to using the regular brass coin boxes. Larry’s work is always quality stuff and this latest offering proves it again. This is an easy one to pull off but will get you big applause. If you like good magic, give this a look-see, as I really think the great wizard, Merlin would be proud to have his name on it. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
Hey MB,
Any reason to re-post this?
Larry already started about this in "Trick Coin Trickery" http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=202
That feels like a more appropriate place for it, at least based on my gut reactions on how some of it works...
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
I like the music.
Creating magic & music us a wonderful combination.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I didn't realize he posted about this there, tons. My first inclination was to let folks here on the coin forum know about it as Larry, at the core, is a coin guy that has been with us here for many seasons now. I thought folks here would be interested in it for those reasons. But also, different folks frequent different forums for different reasons, and I think a coin guy would be interested in this whether a gaff-guy or a SOH'er. Smile

*And Harris my friend, Larry is a really humble guy, and yes, besides the good magic, he also actually composed and is beautifully playing that piano piece in the background of the video. An amazing fellow all-the-way-around. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Marion

I agree.
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
When the product description itself says there are 2 gaffed coins, it feels like Trick Coin Trickery is the more appropriate place - I've always felt Nothing Up My Sleeve tries to be focused on pure SOH. I don't feel like folks who use simple gaffs are any less "coin guys" than those that don't.

I love your enthusiasm about the products, and I typically trust your judgement when you post. But I also think there's such a thing as pushing too much (I recall when you put JJ's Coin Coalition in three different forums), and it's good to make sure the creator hasn't posted already.

Anyway, it's probably not worth giving this thread more posts - perhaps we could get a moderator to merge/move as appropriate?
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
I have a brain that creates "lots of questions"

This "Reader and Righter" has also realized being right is not always as important as other issues.

I would also probably use an coin box and a pad of post it's, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate the creativity, time and compositionof this particular set of props and routine.

Larry - composer of good music & magic...priceless combination.

I stand on the shoulders that shared through manuscripts, lectures etc.

Harris.
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10959 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
I love SOH however to sell anything the effect has to have gimmicks this is the way it is I'm old school and believe my hands are the gimmicks;
larry is well respected here on the Café SOME OF US NEVER SEEN SOME OF HIS MATERIAL
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1681 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
I have several of Larry's book and he has a lot of SOH with cards, coins C&B and also many tricks that used gimmicked props. Some of the tricks that use gimmicked props I can not believe could be done as efficient and clear with just SOH (but I am not so educated in SOH, so take my comment with a grain of salt)

I also bought in the past few of his individual tricks and they are heavily gimmick like the one listed in this thread but if you like what you see, then you need those props.

Finally I bought some of his books, not only because of the content but also because of the quality of the physical book, they are visually nice, beautiful paper, clear writing, great pictures. I have had other books from other publishers and authors that I never opened again because of the quality of the writing, format, pictures or graph.

Hope this helps
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Makes a Wizard Proud - "The Black Magic Tiles of Merlin" (5 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL