The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Does Jacking Shipping Prices Up When There's a Sale Upset You? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
MarkinMadison
View Profile
Regular user
174 Posts

Profile of MarkinMadison
Quote:
On Aug 31, 2017, gumbimagic wrote:
It doesn't upset me at all because it doesn't happen to me. I just did your test. I put two items in the cart during their 33% sale that ended today at 12 p.m. PST today. A 3 disc DVD set and a DVD. Shipping and handling was $5.25. I just did it again after the sale is off. Same two items. Same results. $5.25 for shipping and handling.

Great to see if someone without such an invested opinion gets the same result... if it truly didn't happen to you, I would understand your response. But it's happened to me the last three times and to others in this post. If you actually tried it, I thank you. But my point stands. Doing it is wrong.
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2543 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Just to be clear, I don't know that this particular site does this. I just think any retailer that does do this is wrong.
DelMagic
View Profile
Special user
721 Posts

Profile of DelMagic
If it happened to me and I received no info via message or email, I would call them up to find out. I realize sellers can be very good yet drop the ball sometimes dealing with problems. I've seen complaints about many quality dealers here and it seems inexplicable that communication isn't good in this day and age but it happens. I will certainly keep this mind the next time I order and compare sale and non-sale shipping costs. I know that since I live across the country my shipping is never very low, but they always ship by Priority Mail and I know that isn't cheap.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I don't think it's morally right if such a thing were a company's practice.

The best way to fix the problems is to not buy from them. Maybe confront them first, most places have contact info.
Perhaps there is a non-malevolent explanation.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
I can't help but to wonder if we're all talking about the same vendor. I tend to think that we are not.

Jim
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1406 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Naming the vendor would help to remove any ambiguity. Both Hocus Pocus and Houdini's start with H. (And then there was Hank Lee, before he went to jail.)

To avoid having the thread deleted, just detail your own specific factual experiences and let those facts speak for themselves.
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
2827 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
I would not be happy if this happened. The company I buy most of my magic from offers free shipping for orders over $50. So I wait until there is at least $50 worth of magic I want.
DelMagic
View Profile
Special user
721 Posts

Profile of DelMagic
It was stated that this company offers 33% and 35% discounts. That is a tell-tale sign for those who are members of this dealer's mailing list.
gumbimagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Too busy performing to have more than
313 Posts

Profile of gumbimagic
I agree with DelMagic. There is no ambiguity here.
egoli
View Profile
Special user
The only magician from Que Que, Southern Rhodesia
737 Posts

Profile of egoli
I ordered Solid and Stretch from them recently when it was on a Daily Deal at 70% off - $12 plus $4.52 shipping. Right now it is back to regular price at $39.95 or $29.95 (members price) plus $7.20 shipping. Another recent purchase was 4 items at Buy One get the second item at 50% off and the total postage came to $5.25 on a $65 order. I don't see any big increases in their shipping costs.

Ed
MarkinMadison
View Profile
Regular user
174 Posts

Profile of MarkinMadison
Maybe this post has worked. We all win if they changed their ways. I'll check on my next order as well.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3624 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
It could be just a glitch.But that glitch happened to me as well. I ordered during the sale, a dvd set, and shipping was $19.00. Took 4 days to ship. First Class Mail. Total shipping time was 8 days.
MarkinMadison
View Profile
Regular user
174 Posts

Profile of MarkinMadison
Quote:
On Sep 6, 2017, rowdymagi5 wrote:
It could be just a glitch.But that glitch happened to me as well. I ordered during the sale, a dvd set, and shipping was $19.00. Took 4 days to ship. First Class Mail. Total shipping time was 8 days.

Seems like a lot of "glitches"... How come a "glitch" never LOWERS the price of shipping?
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
I don't order much from the company in question for 2 reasons primarily.
First, they charge shipping regardless of how much you order.
Second, they seem to be lackadaisical about shipping. Many times it will take them several days to ship an item and in this day and age with people accustomed to Amazon Prime I think all vendors need to step up their game. So if I can get free shipping AND have it delivered much faster somewhere else I will, that's just how the marketplace works.

The shipping charge is usually between 4 and 5 bucks but I did place an order the end of last month that was $19 (sale items btw) and the cheapest shipping offered was $10, and I'm not far from their headquarters. So I do remember that because I thought it was a little strange. Also, just received the shipment with a back order notice for one item and no word of when it will be back in stock or if I will be credited or shipped the item eventually. So one more loose end I now have to keep track of, check on, and take care of.

I like them, they are good people and a well-respected dealer but you can't just keep doing things the same way you did them 30 years ago.
Also, their website doesn't show if an item is out of stock which is another reason I avoid them unfortunately.
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1443 Posts

Profile of stempleton
I ordered a sale item and the shipping charge seemed excessive. I emailed and received a prompt reply, lowering the shipping considerably. Normally I do feel their shipping charges are high, but Paul and his wife have been very quick to rectify any problems I've had in the past (damaged/broken items, order not going through, etc.)

I agree with videoman that change needs to happen, particularly with "in stock" notifications and faster shipping times. And although I do appreciate their frequent sales, I'm usually only ordering consumables, accessories or one-off "inspirational" ideas, as 98 percent of what I wish to purchase is marked "no discount." In those cases, I go for dealers that offer free shipping

If I find the shipping charges are being jacked up during sales, I will take my business elsewhere. But, in the meantime, perhaps Paul (a frequent visitor to the café) should be offered an opportunity to address the allegation here. Seems easy enough.
jerry100won
View Profile
Loyal user
Dallas Texas
257 Posts

Profile of jerry100won
I have bought many items from the shop and picked up some extremely good deals. They do charge for postage and some times it seems high but you to have to factor that in to your total cost and evaluate if it is a good deal. I always make a comparison to Penguin with no shipping cost for orders above $50(free if your have purchased the lecture subcrition).

I have found that sometimes Penguin has the item 25% off with no shipping is a better deal. However I have found the 33%/35% or some of their other deals with shipping is stil a far better deal. In the end I chose the best option for me.
Jerry

In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON
paul180
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of paul180
They do inflate their shipping charges and I won't do business with them, no matter how good the deal is. I have to be true to myself.
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a foolish man can learn from a wise answer.

Attributing negativity to a topic or post doesn't make the topic or post negative,
it shines a light on the negativity of the person or persons, making the attributions.

BEWARE these Debbie downers and anything they say. They simply lack the self esteem or good will, to be positive or productive. Your belief in self, is more
important and is all that matters, for your success to be glorious.
Paul Gross
View Profile
Special user
574 Posts

Profile of Paul Gross
Hello,

I have read all the posts above..Let me try to educate on shipping costs..Our shipping systems are directly linked to UPS, Post and Fed Ex..The charges imposed are by their systems and not ours. We actually receive a discount from UPS because of the high volume of shipping we do with their company..We do pass this discount on to our customers..Shipping is determined be size, weight, value, destination and shipping method chosen.. I see complaints like this and I fully understand the frustration that it causes..Shipping is not a profit center for us..To accuse of jacking up shipping costs when we have a sale or promotion as stated above by stempleton is simply not true..We do not change our shipping costs or policies when we have a sale or special event.. If anyone here has any issues with Hocus Pocus call me I have a toll Free number 1-800-407-4040 and I will be happy to discuss..

Best regards
Paul Gross
Owner
Hocus Pocus
Best Regards,

Paul Gross

Owner

http://www.hocus-pocus.com
Marvelous
View Profile
Loyal user
265 Posts

Profile of Marvelous
I have bought from Hocus Pocus a lot and they have great sales and exclusives. I try to buy a lot at one time and they always try to send it flat rate priority since it's going to a P.O. Box , they never seemed to profit from the shipping

If I had any complaint it is only that their site doesn't have real time inventory. Elmwood magic was one of the first to use it and I'm glad Penguin does now. I hate having to order something only to find out later on the item isn't in stock. But a simple phone call and Hocus Pocus will tell you if it's in stock so as long as you don't mind calling to confirm your items are in stock then problem solved.

I think it's nice being able to call in my order. Penguin is quick and their website modern but I gave up for the most part trying to get them on the phone. If you have a specific question about a product Hocus Pocus will take the time to answer and help you make an informed decision. They also sell estate items and have a lot of exclusives and great sales.

I use Hocus Pocus more than Penguin despite the fact that they don't offer free shipping. I appreciate the extra mile they go to help their customers and it's nice talking to Paul and Max and the rest of their staff. Don't get me wrong Penguin is fast and the shipping is free but buying from Hocus Pocus is a lot like buying from people you trust at a brick and mortar store in your hometown only with better deals.
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1443 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Quote:
On Sep 20, 2017, Paul Gross wrote:
Hello,

I have read all the posts above..Let me try to educate on shipping costs..Our shipping systems are directly linked to UPS, Post and Fed Ex..The charges imposed are by their systems and not ours. We actually receive a discount from UPS because of the high volume of shipping we do with their company..We do pass this discount on to our customers..Shipping is determined be size, weight, value, destination and shipping method chosen.. I see complaints like this and I fully understand the frustration that it causes..Shipping is not a profit center for us..To accuse of jacking up shipping costs when we have a sale or promotion as stated above by stempleton is simply not true..We do not change our shipping costs or policies when we have a sale or special event.. If anyone here has any issues with Hocus Pocus call me I have a toll Free number 1-800-407-4040 and I will be happy to discuss..

Best regards
Paul Gross
Owner
Hocus Pocus

Hi, Paul, just to be clear to you and others I was not the original poster who raised this allegation, nor did I confirm or agree with its premise...I shared your assistance and pleasant experiences and actually suggested that you be notified of this thread so you may respond (which I did.) I shared my take on s/h costs, but I always feel those involved should be heard from, and I thank you for what I suppose will be a wrap up of this thread. I will continue to purchase from you.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Does Jacking Shipping Prices Up When There's a Sale Upset You? (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL