The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Magic Compass - ideal for new magicians (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2198 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Magic Compass (Magic Makers)

Baffling to watch, even when you perform it yourself!

Introduction

The Magic Compass is a very baffling effect, which can even confuse the magician as he performs it. A simple optical illusion shows a double-sided compass to be pointing a multitude of different ways at each turn of the compass. It's especially ideal for people new to magic.

Contents

With this effect you get a plastic, double sided "compass", with fixed/painted arrows. Also included is some instructions, as well as a link which enables you to watch how to perform this effect.

Effect

This is a great little effect which is quite different from regular magic tricks, so it sparks the audience's interest. It seems utterly impossible for the compass to continue to switch directions, and yet it does so. In fact, when I first got this and started trying it out, I myself got confused and baffled at how it was working.

Here's a video showing what the effect looks like:

Want to see more? Check out another demo of the effect here. Some magicians even use an over-sized version in stage shows, such as Jeb Brack, seen performing with his giant version here, and giving instructions here. So despite its simplicity, don't dismiss this effect too quickly - the fact that it's even used by professionals in performance, shows that it can be a good visual fooler.

Recommendation

This is a very easy to learn trick and is especially great for beginner magicians, young and older. What makes it ideal for new magicians is that it is a simple trick that will enable them to work on their patter and presentation. Yet it is also seeming so impossible that it baffles the audience and will likely baffle you too - which is why even some professionals use it in stage acts.

This would make a great gift to any younger magicians who want to start magic, or even a special gift for yourself! It's cheap too - it typically sells online for around $5.

Want to learn more? See:
- Publisher's page: http://www.magicmakersinc.com/p-776-magi......ing.aspx
- Amazon: http://amazon.com/dp/B06XFLNZ8W/?tag=ender-bgg-20
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Fun - maybe. Entertaining - probably. But magic? Just because you place the word magic on a product doesn't make it so.

Just an opinion - I think this is NOT a good way for budding magicians to start with.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2198 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Magician Jeb Brack actually uses the Magic Compass in his stage shows (That Old Brack Magic).

See him explain how to do the effect here:

Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1166 Posts

Profile of Russo
I've used the 'compass' on a square board- goes one way both sides, then up, then down- then forward - then backward- FUN Also adapted it to a Gospel message - with the square decorated like a GIFT BOX - with the Bow at the arrow end- - with the square card doubled( that is showen at 14" sq, - actually 28 x 14 and folded in half). Inside the fold - opened up, is a message- show 'gift' one way- backward- up-down- etc-etc- then, say "no matter which way, the 'best gift' is "(open card) "FORGIVENESS"
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
I Have one. It's interesting break from cards etc.

Nice piece to challenge yourself to come up with a routine.
Raisul Mushfeq
View Profile
New user
Bangladesh
12 Posts

Profile of Raisul Mushfeq
This would be a good way to get some interest. A very good puzzle.
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2536 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Quote:
On Sep 20, 2017, funsway wrote:
Fun - maybe. Entertaining - probably. But magic? Just because you place the word magic on a product doesn't make it so.

Just an opinion - I think this is NOT a good way for budding magicians to start with.

What is the point of any magic prop or 'effect' if the main purpose isn't primarily entertainment?

As for (quote) "not a good way for budding magicians to start". What complete and utter codswallop.

I bought a Chinese Compass in Davenports. The year was 1978. I was 14. It cost 50p.

I'm now 56. I still use it.

It DOES mystify people. It also (with accompanying patter and gags) entertains people.

Anyway, thanks for advising me that I've been wasting my time for 42 years (not to mention my pocket money back then). Just when I was beginning to think I'd purchased a bargain!

Suffice to say, I won't lose any sleep over it.
Barry Allen

Over 14 years have passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Magic Compass - ideal for new magicians (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL