The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Real Coin Magic by Benjamin Earl (22 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2015 Posts

Profile of Platt
I took the plunge. This is truly next level stuff. A natural evolution from the work of guys like Roth, Sankey and Gallo. I think the downfall of most coin magic is that it often appears to be prestidigitation. Tricky sleight of hand. Benjamin Earl is so natural and effortless in his approach, you'll do many double takes even as he explains the move. Is this a giant leap from the material in Bobo? No. Nothing will be. But that's the point. It's the small subtleties that make this material so effective. Rather than the usual attempt to sell the move, Earl's approach is to seemingly eliminate it altogether. Buy this and you'll understand. Well done Mr. Earl. Highly recommended. 10/10.
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
normative
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of normative
Picked this up as well, so my initial reaction after first viewing, without having spent more than a few minutes practicing any of these yet. On the con side: It's a little pricey for the relatively short length and the number of effects taught, and a couple of them I don't really see myself using. Also, if you know basic coin techniques, I don't think there are any "moves" here that will come as a revelation. On the pro side: There's some really insightful stuff here on psychology and presentation that will cross apply to almost all the coin work you do. Very thoughtful stuff on establishing the presence of an object that's not there along multiple dimensions, good subtleties on making motions more natural and justified, and a delightfully fresh idea for reframing an old familiar sort of effect as something a little more unusual that is likely to spark your creativity for giving other workhorses a fresh coat of paint.

Verdidct: If you're someone who doesn't normally do much with coins and is looking to add a few effects for variety, this probably isn't where you want to start, though it does have the upside that the effects here don't demand much in the way of digital dexterity. (So, I guess, if that's the primary factor that's been keeping you away from coins, maybe this IS where you want to start—though you'll still want to put in some hours at the mirror before field testing.) If you do already do some coin work, you'll find at least a couple effects you'll want to start using immediately, but what will really justify the price is the concepts that you can apply to strengthen all those other effects. I'd be able to recommend this a bit more unequivocally at a lower price point, but I expect it will prove worth it all the same as I internalize the ideas here.
Waters.
View Profile
Special user
703 Posts

Profile of Waters.
Two comments:

1. What Platt said

2. I respect Vanishing Inc. for being responsive. I wish more companies would stop limiting their releases to hard copies. I dabble in coin magic for fun and I am going to buy this because I like Ben’s reductionist approach and I appreciate Vanishing Inc’s customer focused attitude. This will be fun.
goochelen
View Profile
New user
Hexagonia
76 Posts

Profile of goochelen
I am glad to see that one of the respected magicians applies the philosophy of "Everything Should Be Made as Simple as Possible, But Not Simpler" and it implies "to see the forest for the trees".
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2015 Posts

Profile of Platt
After giving this a little time to digest, I feel the need to throw Benjamin Earle and VanishingInc a few more heaps of praise. As somebody who loves coin magic, I hate almost all coin magic. It's my humble belief that some of the most praised coin magicians (Kainoa Harbottle, Curtis Kam, etc...) often feel like they're performing a display of technique. Almost like a challenge- look, dear spectator, at my expert moves that you can't quite figure out. This video, in stark contrast, is really about the elimination of apparent moves. It hones in on just a few key ones that most of us coin dorks have overlooked. Earl brings in small subtitles that truly make the moves imperceptible, getting you way ahead of the spectator. So by the time they're looking for the move it has already happened. The SDS vanish and Primary Movement (build on Bill Simon's work) will be two nice additions to my standard impromptu coin work. The title of this should be Natural Coin Magic. I don't cheerlead much here, but this deserves serious consideration to anyone who loves impromptu, borrowed coin, coin magic.
mh1001
View Profile
Special user
602 Posts

Profile of mh1001
Platt, do think Ben Earl's ideas in this DVD can be applied to card, ring magic, etc. ? It's becoming more and more interesting.
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2015 Posts

Profile of Platt
Quote:
On Oct 8, 2017, mh1001 wrote:
Platt, do think Ben Earl's ideas in this DVD can be applied to card, ring magic, etc. ? It's becoming more and more interesting.

I see he has other videos and effect on his site. So might be worth looking into his other work. While some of the effects on Real Coin Magic can be applied to sugar cubes, rings and other small objects, it's really a coin DVD. So I certainly wouldn't buy it for card applications.
JoelDickinson
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1581 Posts

Profile of JoelDickinson
I think you should all stop talking about it now Smile
No seriously, it's a real pleasure to watch with some really good, practical thinking and also some real thought provoking ideas.
Thanks Ben and Vanishinginc for producing more great material.

Joel
Waters.
View Profile
Special user
703 Posts

Profile of Waters.
I wholehearted agree with Platt’s comments. There are no unconsidered or furtive movements. What is left behind is coin work that is meant to maximize on the tendencies of the human mind. His work on “planes of imagination” was truly interesting. I wish all magic was a carefully constructed. This is worth the price just for the lesson in psychology and how to direct (and reduce) interest. Highest recommendation.
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
2023 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
Ben Earl (in my opinion) gets it right because he starts with experience (what does he want the spectator to feel/witness) and works backward while keeping things streamlined.

He gets the "wonder" of magic. Magic starts in the mind of the person you're performing for. Slowing things down, and treating a vanish or a card revelation with the respect these feats deserve, vs a "hey, watch what I can do... isn't that neat?" kind of thing, assures awe and wonder.

Again, in my opinion, the emotions you create in others trumps the method used to create them all day, every day (especially flashy or flourishy moves, or anything that is superfluous). Ben demonstrates this well by being the right "atmostphere" himself to create these these effects. We buy it because he creates an appropriate amount of fascination, "what-if" and "wow" in his magic through simple, slow and story (even if short, because context matters).

Agh. Hope that makes sense. I just think he nails it. Smile
Nathan Horne
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of Nathan Horne
Wow, I really loved this video.

I'm glad that the focus is not really on difficult moves, but on psychology and subtleties. I've learned so much while watching Ben explain. His thoughts on coin magic and how it should be presented alone is worth the watch.
mh1001
View Profile
Special user
602 Posts

Profile of mh1001
Agreed. It's one of the best coin DVDs I have ever watched. The moves are easy, though the very first one clearly requires some practice. Real Ace Cutting and Real Deck Switches are nice ones too. So far I love this "Real" series.
aheller5
View Profile
Regular user
186 Posts

Profile of aheller5
Who here does primary movement? he uses a purse palm I think it looks awkward..i use a classic palm....any opinions?
Feral Chorus
View Profile
Elite user
CA
495 Posts

Profile of Feral Chorus
Whatever works. As long as one can hold the hand flat or in such a way that it appears convincingly empty, it will be fine. In a social situation try doing it with a bottle cap. I've found the bottle caps easier to purse palm.

-FC
aheller5
View Profile
Regular user
186 Posts

Profile of aheller5
Great idea
rockbrunnen
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of rockbrunnen
A bottle cap! Of course! That would look perfectly impromptu. Somehow I have never thought of that. Thanks much!
Magic1
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles
408 Posts

Profile of Magic1
Really love this DVD/download. Natural, organic, subtle, and magical.

This is the kind of magic that I enjoy and that I aspire to do.
SNAFU
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of SNAFU
Quote:
On Jul 25, 2019, aheller5 wrote:
Who here does primary movement? he uses a purse palm I think it looks awkward..i use a classic palm....any opinions?

I know it's been a while since you wrote this, but if you're still reading here: How do you do it with the Classic Palm? On one hand, I can't palm the coin inconspicuously (in the purse palm, it almost goes in by itself), and on the other hand, it looks (at least for me) much more conspicuous. With the purse palm, my hand is relatively flat, but in the classic palm, it looks like I have a cramp (especially the position of my thumb).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Real Coin Magic by Benjamin Earl (22 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL