The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Milliken's Transposition ? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
A while ago I put up a thread with regards to the late, great Daryl and someone pointed me in the direction of his handling of Milliken's transposition which is a really nice routine.

As good as the routine is for me personally it kind of lacks a finish or punch line if that makes sense, does anyone know if any of the workers out there have expanded on this routine to give it more of a climax ?
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
In the mid '70's, Harvey Rosenthal showed me his variation in which, all of the coins end up in the right hand at the end as a little kicker.
Gerald Deutsch
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of Gerald Deutsch
I posted Milliken Madness on the Perverse Magic thread of the Genii Forum on June 1, 2007.

Basically. the effect is “Milliken’s Transposition” (except for part 6 which is David
Roth’s) a creation of Henry Milliken which appears in Ellison Poland’s “Wonderful
Routines of Magic” and in Jerry Mentzer’s “Close-Up Cavalcade Finale”.

Instead of using quarters and half dollars, however, I use quarters and pennies so that all
the coins can be borrowed. Also, there’s a better contrast with pennies and quarters than
there is with half dollars and quarters.

I use the spectator’s open hands as a sort of table.

Effect

1 Michael and Bob are on line for a movie and the line is moving slowly. There are two young girls behind them who suddenly say, “This waiting is boring.” That prompts Michael to turn around and tell the girls that he just learned a new magic trick and asks them if they have two quarters and two pennies. One of the girls smiles and reaches into her purse and takes out the four coins.

2 Michael puts the pennies in the girl’s right hand and the quarters in her left hand. He then takes the pennies from the girl with his right hand tosses them into his left hand and takes the quarters from her left hand and keeps them in his right hand.

3 “The idea,” he says, “is to make the pennies from my left and the quarters from my right hand change places. Watch closely.” He squeezes his fists and opens his hands but now there is a quarter and a penny in each hand. He looks upset as he puts the coins on the girl’s open hands. The trick only “half worked”. “Damn!” he says. Let me try again.

4 He takes the quarter from the girl’s right hand and tosses it into his left hand and then tosses the penny to follow. He picks up the penny and the quarter from her left hand in his right hand. He opens his right hand and it’s clear that there is only the penny and the quarter there.

5 “Okay,” he says, “I’m going to make the pennies go back to my left hand and the quarters go back into my right hand.” He gestures but when he opens his hands the quarters are in his left and the pennies in his right. He is very frustrated. He again puts the coins on the girl’s palms.

6 “One more time,” he says in frustration. He takes the two quarters and puts them in his left hand and takes the pennies in his right hand and squeezes his fists and shakes his head. He opens his right hand and all four coins are there and with his empty left hand he takes them and gives them back to the girl. “I quit.”

7 The girl smiles at her friend. “Why don’t we all forget about the movie and go back to my house. I’d like to see more magic.”
Motor City
View Profile
Special user
Metro Detroit Area
587 Posts

Profile of Motor City
Thanks for posting, Gerald
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Thanks for sharing Gerald 😊
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
HI I do the Milliken with a twist a very clean display. But I have found that you are right, it is better to use copper and silver of some type or the spectators easily get confused as to what happened. so great idea using copper and silver coins, this makes it much more clear to a spectator.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Milliken's Transposition ? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL