The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Create stronger effects thanks to fascinating concepts (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

bidbid
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of bidbid
Hello, Andy from the jerx talks in his book about the importance of fascinating concepts in creating the kind of magic he is known for, he explains how to create his effects he keeps a list of fascinating concepts and a list of tricks, and then he tries, without forcing it, to use those concepts as the actions or procedures that you claim are causing the effect in the moment.

This as led to great ideas like his trick where he travels to another dimension, that one where a fetus reads her mother's mind, that one where he appears in someone's dream, that one where he makes you eat a pill that gives you heightened senses, and so on.

Here is a post from his blog that explains what makes a fascinating concept: http://www.thejerx.com/blog/2015/9/4/wha......%20thing

Since card magic is particularly affected by boring premises I tought it would be nice to make a list of fascinating concepts together, maybe you have a great idea and don't have a method for it, and someone else will have one, or maybe you have a great trick but can't find an interesting premise, if a sizeable number of people contributes with some fascinating concepts this thread could be useful.

I'll start by listing some of the classics in a very basic way, without a real story attached to them, but feel free to talk about more fleshed out ideas and don't be restricted to card magic ideas

A ghost manifesting in some way
transmission of thoughts (telepathy)
Telekinesis
Clairvoyance
Shape Shifting
The ability to teleport things (or machines that teleport things)
Flight
Time control
an artifact with magical properties (like a golden thumtip that makes all it touches gold)
Invisibility (your invisible friend cuts the deck by himself at the spectator's selectin)
Super Speed
Super Strength
Super Intelligence
Being able to talk with animals (having a dog whisper you the spectator's card for example)
living in the matrix or some kind of simulation
the world existing just in our toughts and thus being able to alter part of it by sheer force of will (having a spectator do it)

I hope someone will add to this list, that's all, bye! Smile
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Luck
Fate
coincidence
the universe provides
intuition
super sensitivity
beginner's luck
relative momentum in the galaxy
quantum entanglement

-Mary Mowder
Ferry Gerats
View Profile
Regular user
the Netherlands
190 Posts

Profile of Ferry Gerats
Just my 5 cents:
Attributing human traits to non human entities.
Attributing magical power to entities.
Controlling chaos.
Fictional science.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Wormholes
Other dimensions
Art
Philosophy
Magic vs Science
Magician vs Gambler

-Mary
jcigam
View Profile
Special user
Bellevue, Nebraska
512 Posts

Profile of jcigam
Hyper Observant (like in the TV show Psych).
Hypervigilance (more, threat related)
Micro-expressions (like in the TV show Lie to Me).
"The mind has exactly the same power as the hand, not merely to grasp the world, but to change it."
JoeHohman
View Profile
Special user
Erie
706 Posts

Profile of JoeHohman
I am cheating and lying like nobody's business, but you don't mind because I am charming and affable.
vernonscigar
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of vernonscigar
Sandwiches are a fascinating concept when you think about it, there's one card trapped between two other cards. That's three pieces of magic. The upper card has moved. The lower card has moved. They found the selection. It's kinda like the Fibonacci principal.

Interesting fact, One-Eyed Jack Sandwich, which Harry Lorayne published decades ago, started the sandwich craze.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Create stronger effects thanks to fascinating concepts (5 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL