The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » What does it mean to be "fooled"? (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dr Rick
View Profile
New user
Manchester, UK
72 Posts

Profile of Dr Rick
I always find the term "fool" sits uneasy. I don't want a spectator to be made to look or feel foolish
I know magicians use the term in a specific way and in a particular context but I don't like it
Just my two pence worth
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Quote:
On Jan 15, 2018, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
To deceive is not the same as to fool or to trick.

We probably aim for deception.

If the trickery we use is deceptive we can play at magic.

In the magic context..how is "fooled" different from "deceived"? I have literally and without exaggeration had spectator's say, "Wow..you fooled me!" I can't remember ever having anyone say that I deceived them.

Personally, I find a much greater negative connotation to "deceived" than "fooled". The former is the misdirection of the Pick Pocket and the latter the fantasy of the 'magician'. To me....
Brad Burt
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
""fooling" is done with the eager consent of the spectator". ... love this quote from Dana.

This nuanced definition of fooling seems to be particular to magic. No one likes to be fooled by being "conned" out of their money; but take (betting) money out of the equation, eg a shell and pea magic routine, and it takes a different connotation. As spectators of magic, we eagerly pay to be fooled....and of course, astonished! There are nuances in all this, of course. Sometimes a comedian's "roast" can be either very cruel or very hearfelt. And I've seen a few magic performances which have been close to being cruel to a spectator (which is why some magicians no longer do the trick of stealing a woman's bra). On the other hand, the paper balls over the shoulder trick kind of makes a 'fool' out of the spectator... but what person would walk away feeling bad? Indeed, they had been part of the magic act! Lynn
Chollet
View Profile
Regular user
Don't be fooled by the fact I only have
191 Posts

Profile of Chollet
I think it is in Strong Magic that Ortiz describes a fundamental difference between fooling a magician and a layman. I will sum it up in my own words...

If a magician can figure out 99% of a trick, but 1% eludes him, he is fooled. However, if a spectator sees 1% of how it works, the deception is lost.

Magicians have to know how it all works. A spectator's suspension of disbelief is lost when they see anything that gives the trick away. Something to consider!
danaruns
View Profile
Special user
The City of Angels
808 Posts

Profile of danaruns
If I don't fool you, I am not doing my job as a magician. If I make you feel foolish, I am not doing my job as a human being."
- Jerry Andrus
"Dana Douglas is the greatest magician alive. Plus, I'm drunk." -- Foster Brooks
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Quote:
On May 3, 2018, danaruns wrote:
If I don't fool you, I am not doing my job as a magician. If I make you feel foolish, I am not doing my job as a human being."
- Jerry Andrus

That's a quote worth being framed on a wall! Lynn
magicianbrady
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of magicianbrady
Quote:
On Mar 6, 2018, Dr Rick wrote:
I always find the term "fool" sits uneasy. I don't want a spectator to be made to look or feel foolish
I know magicians use the term in a specific way and in a particular context but I don't like it
Just my two pence worth

I just use it in the way which means "hold the Ace of Spades tightly but BAM it became the Ace of Hearts! Did you see when it changed or did it fool you?"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » What does it mean to be "fooled"? (10 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL