The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Tarbell Variations? (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

epsilon97
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of epsilon97
What is difference between the original Tarbell series versus the eight volume series? Is the content different or just the organization?
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
The original "edition" (1927) was a correspondence course. ("CCs" were quite popular at that time.) IIRC! One could "subscribe" a lesson at a time! (I wasn't born until December '31.) "Doc" (he was a naturopath.)Tarbell was well qualified to produce the course, as he was a professional performer of much experience (even in CHAUTAUQUA!). He also had artistic experience. He did all the illustrations!

Previously, many, if not most, of the books that explained how tricks were done, were in what I called the "infinitive description". Every trick was "titled": "TO cut a rope in half, and restore it", "TO produce a rabbit from a borrowed hat", etc. Very little, if any, "space" was devoted to "how to present" the tricks.

Doc started with a history of magic, and, then BASIC sleights with something that the student had access to: coins. Each lesson was complete in itself. I've sold the two original "editions", years ago. I can't remember the number of lessons!

With the lessons, a small box of miscellaneous gimmicks was supplied.

When the company that published the original course, stopped. Lou Tannen, a New York magic dealer, obtained the rights, and published a hard bound edition, one volume at a time. In all, 6 volumes were finally published. Tannen "changed" some of the props that were explained, to props that his magic shop sold, but, the course was quite close to the original. Some years later, Harry Lorayne, a very well qualified performer, and writer, published Volume Seven. It contained contributions from many successful, and, well qualified magicians. Volume 7 contained a COMPLETE INDEX to the entire 7 volumes. (MOST USEFUL!!!)

Later, Volume Eight was published. (I don't have it.) It contains the "story" of the course, etc.

The original 1927 course, is obtainable in a pdf. version, FREE!. You'll need to ask someone who knows more about computers than I, how to get the pdf version.

In the original correspondence course, and, even the hard bound edition(s) the patter and presentation suggestions are, now somewhat archaic, BUT, the PRINCIPLES are there!!!!!!!

I read, no, studied, Tarbell, when I began performing. I was in the ninth grade of high school. I started performing as a part time professional when I made $26 in a 40 minute program at my local Junior High School in October, 1945. (A hamburger and coke, then, was ten cents!) --My high school friends, were getting $.75/hour, bagging groceries! A few years later, in the Navy, I had the act in a cigar box size leather shaving kit. I made enough doing club dates, that I could send my Navy pay check, home to the bank. Magic performing paid for a car, living quarters, off the base, ETC.! (Tarbell had helped me learn very well!

I started full time performing about 20 years later, and toured the USA coast to coast and border to border. I produced the show that I did, having learned the PRINCIPLES, from TARBELL. I estimate that 80% of my repertoire came from Tarbell.

I have mentored MANY young guys in the past 50 years, and, I always recommend TARBELL.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Mark Williams
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas, Nevada
513 Posts

Profile of Mark Williams
Quote:
Dick Oslund wrote:The original 1927 course, is obtainable in a pdf. version, FREE!. You'll need to ask someone who knows more about computers than I, how to get the pdf version.

I found this link to the free pdf version Mr. Oslund mentioned:

Click Here

Best Magical Regards,

Mark Williams
"Once is Magic!! Twice is an Education!!"
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Thanks Mark!

I was "born too soon" to do more than the very "basics" on this "infernal electrisch peckenclacker"!

When I was just beginning, in 1945, my friend, the late C. Thomas Magrum had become one of my "unofficial" mentors. He told the postmaster in Ishpeming, Michigan, about me, and Vincent Malstrom wrote and set up an evening meeting, while he was attending a postmasters' conference in my home town. (Malmstrom has an "Organ Pipes routine in Tarbell, Vol. VI, Page 379. That meeting was very worthwhile for me, as Vincent loaned me his six volume hardbound set of Tarbell! I thought that I had died and gone to Heaven!

A few years later, I was privileged to meet Doc. Tarbell, at the IBM/SAM Convention in Chicago. I've been a Tarbell 'student' since. When my other "unofficial" mentor, Stuart Ross, died, I "inherited" his Correspondence Course". I always recommend Doc's. course to new magicians.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Tarbell Variations? (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL