The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coin magic on a bus (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Norm
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of Norm
I will be on a party bus this weekend and wanted to do some coin magic. The dangers in doing this that I can see are the unexpected movements that the moving bus may make. What might you guys take with you if you had to perform "walk around" type coin effects on a bus where you may be sitting if they require it, or standing? I was preparing to do a one coin flurry with jumbo coin at the end, Curtis Kam's Thru and Thru, Liwag's Coin One, and The Little Hand (it would suck if the coin dropped during this due to a sudden stop or sharp turn)

Any thoughts?
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Been there, done that. Visibility is poor and poor acoustics. You may have to perform everything twice or three times down the isle.
Coins are not a good choice unless spectators can serve as a table or the effect plot is obvious such as Scotch&Soda, CSB or "texture."
Dollar Squeeze was a hit. (Gold dollars)

Ropes, silks and hot rod worked better.

All that was some years ago. I might try CCC and a gaffless 3-Fly today.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
Good suggestions from Funsway. I have performed for a wedding party on a double decker bus and a lot of the usual stuff I would normally do had to scrapped once I found that:
> I had to brace myself to stop myself going flying
> Most of the time, people were all around me, sitting quite low looking up - think working tables but with the tables all around you and really close, so angles are a big factor
> There were situational factors, such as the odd tree branch hitting the bus or sudden stops due to other vehicles

It should be noted that as I was formally performing, I had to circulate and get around the whole bus, as opposed to performing for friends which would be more manageable.
I didn't perform any coin material on that occasion, but if there is a space for you to be seated, it will be easier. Standing, you may find palming and grips harder, so consider shorter effects, effects in the spec's hands and effects where if the bus takes an unexpected turn, you can pause the routine and the sleight of hand. If I did bus magic again and wanted to do coins, I would might consider and ungaffed coins across, a coin bend, CSB and a coin switch type routine.
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Is there a way you could have The Who's song Magic Bus playing?

Three Fly comes to mind. Paul Wilson's is my favorite
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coin magic on a bus (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL