The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Fellowship of Christian Magicians! » » A New Magic Magazine for Christian Magicians?? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kerry Kistler
View Profile
Loyal user
Springfield, MO
234 Posts

Profile of Kerry Kistler
Hey Gang,
In the spirit of doing some market research, I am asking for truthful feedback on these questions:

1. Do Christian magicians need/want a magazine that is different than the Voice? I'm not here to bash the FCM or the Voice. For those of you who know me, I have a rich history and deep love for both. My membership has lapsed a few times since 1977, but I continue to be a Heritage member today.

2. How should a new magic magazine targeted exclusively for Christian magicians differ from the Voice? What do you want that you may not be getting now?

3. Quarterly or Bi-monthly and 32 or 40, 8.5x11-sized-pages?

4. What subscription price are you willing to pay for a full-color, professionally written/produced, magazine, mailed to you in printed form and also available online in PDF version?

5. Would you be interested in writing for such a magazine or participating in another way.

Any feedback is welcomed,
Kerry
jamiedoyle
View Profile
Special user
Lafayette, IN
619 Posts

Profile of jamiedoyle
Hey Kerry - sorry I missed getting to know when we briefly lived in Springfield. Here are my responses:

1. Yes - because, some Christian Magicians want access to a periodical that's not tied to membership in a magic association. AND There are those in the FCM (like me) who are GM enthusiasts and like that stuff.

2. Routines and information that assumes my proficiency level is beyond beginner, novice or hobbyist. The focus should be primarily Gospel Magic. Although I use all kinds of visual performance arts, I'd want to see a publication dedicated to Gospel Magic and leave the ventriloquism, juggling, clowning and puppetry to the Voice and their respective publications.

3. Bi-Monthly and 40 pages or more - Just because it's a niche in the overall world of magic, it's unique enough to be quality.

4. 1 year of monthly print + digital for Genii is $58.00 So I don't think it would be out of the question to ask $30 yearly for Bi-monthly Print + Digital for a magazine subscription. Also consider selling advertising space for GM related companies... I know there are only a few out there, but it could help keep the cost affordable.

5. Of course. I'm a regular contributor for the VOICE, but I feel I have much to offer as far as routines and articles.
Jamie Doyle
International President - Fellowship of Christian Magicians
jamiedoylemagic.com
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2004 Posts

Profile of tbaer
1. This would be great.

2. I liked Duane Laflin's on-line Grand Magic Magazine he had in the past, although it was secular and biblical. I would prefer all biblical routines. Duane's always included nice biblical routines which included videos of the presentation and explanation. Like the way Jamie Doyle is doing it in the Voice the last 2 years. I know this takes a lot of time to do it this way and you have to have the proper equipment to make it all happen, but this is very helpful when you can actually see the routine being done.

3. Every month or every other month is ok with me.

4. If it's under $50.00 I would sign up for it.

5. Possibly participating in some way, depending what it is.
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Yes, I agree 100% with the above posts- Jamie, etc.. For one who does different Gospel magic routines 4 times a month minimum year around in Sunday School, always looking for new material. Even just this morning I was searching around for routines using "Miracle Bubbles", the linking rings and arm twister (including searching out my old ideas posted here on The Magic Café').

It seems that very few NEW specifically designed for Gospel magic use/Biblical referenced effects are introduced for sale each year, probably less than 10? So would love to see more dealers/sellers making those types of latest tricks/illustrations/effects available for sure.

Roger Magic Bus
Lifetime membership card granted in the FCM
Andrew
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of Andrew
I'm getting here a bit late, but I too would be interested in such a publication!
Bi-Monthly would be great and I would pay for a subscription price of around $30 to $40.
I would also consider submitting material for publication.

Keep us updated on your progress.
andrew
Andrew
Professional Provider of Wonderment!
www.andrewsfamilymagic.com
jamiedoyle
View Profile
Special user
Lafayette, IN
619 Posts

Profile of jamiedoyle
I think we need a few more enthusiasts to chime-in here.
Jamie Doyle
jamiedoylemagic.com
Kerry Kistler
View Profile
Loyal user
Springfield, MO
234 Posts

Profile of Kerry Kistler
Thanks to all of you who have offered input on this idea. It is still in the early planning stages so we value your thoughts.

When I say "we" I mean Duane Laflin, myself and a regular stable of dependable writers. Our thanks to you who have volunteered to write. Please be thinking of your best material to contribute. Of course, various support staff will eventually be needed to manage subscriptions, social media, website and more. To begin, Duane and I will be carrying most of the weight, but we both feel it is time for a fresh publication of this type.

I think we have settled on the name "Christian Illusionist" and have the masthead/cover design pulled together. We're planning a 40 page, bimonthly to start. We're still sharpening our pencil on the subscription/advertising rates. Our focus will be on helping Christian magicians improve their shows/ministries. The material will be routine-heavy with an emphasis on stagecraft, showmanship, philosophy of performance, and effective ministry. We probably won't mimic the other magic magazines with cover personalities, interviews, magic news, etc. Some issues will cover singular themes, but most will be a collection of regular columnists who have proven themselves as performers, teachers, and writers.

Duane and I acknowledge the trend in print media and understand that the recent demise of Magic magazine (and the shrinking circulation of the other major magic publications) is not necessarily the best environment in which to launch this niche magazine. Still, we believe the subscribers/advertisers are there, and "if we build it, they will come." We also understand the truth of Psalm 127 "Unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." So, we value your prayers, advice, and wisdom during this critical start-up phase.

Duane offers much in the way of solid leadership, performance experience, publishing, and original writing. I bring the art direction, design/layout, writing/editing, and planning to the mix. We have both written for and published our own magazines over the years. We feel ready to launch this soon and believe we were brought togeter for such a time as this. Now we are praying about how to fund this project until it achieves the necessary traction with subscribers/advertisers to support itself financially. This includes being able to eventually pay our columnists, artists, photographers, and support personnel. I have suggested trying a crowdfunding approach like GoFundMe or Kickstarter. Duane is hesitant to try this approach, so we continue asking God for wisdom. Know this: Duane and I understand we will not get rich publishing this new magazine, but that is not our goal. However, it must be able to support itself in order to survive and thrive.

Your honest thoughts are welcome,
Kerry (and Duane)
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
A good column might be for "The Sunday School Kids Magician".

Background (from Captain Obvious again):

I am not sure how many this category applies to, but it may be more than I'd think (and more in numbers than the Gospel magicians who do the same touring program repeated many times over?). For myself, I probably do about 5 programs a year outside our church, but do the "opening session" over 45 times each year for the same group of Sunday School kids. My guess is Jamie and Rick L. may now be in similar settings?

I have found in the three very large churches I have served in as a volunteer since 1985, the biggest need was always for "workers in the children's department". So that has been a real wide open niche where Gospel magic and vent has been a great blessing for me and hopefully the kids watching.

This involves doing the "opening" combined worship/video/Gospel illustrations/magic session for all the kids on Sunday mornings for about 35 minutes- in our setting before the kids break up and go to their own individual classrooms after that.

Our Lighthouse Kids Sunday School is growing a this time- this is great news in a time period where I understand many other Sunday Schools are naturally decreasing in overall attendance.

I think a volunteer Gospel magician willing to put in long fun hours preparing each week would be welcomed in many church's kids ministries to be a regular part of their ongoing programming. A huge opportunity for Gospel magicians such as myself who have other full time occupations.

________

Anyway, a column on this with specific magic ideas bases on specific Bible verses or themes is always appreciated by folk like myself.
torben
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of torben
Kerry - it sounds very good. Looking forward to hear more about the magazine.
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1367 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
Kerry

I would very much be interested in such a magazine. I have been a member of the FCM for several years and I believe the Voice is a valuable resource, however I believe there is room for another magazine.

I would like to see this "new" magazine deal with "showmanship" and being "entertaining". Also a review of "props" that others maybe using in their presentations. Quality vs. price or build your own.

Having a larger size magazine 8.5 x 11 would be helpful for those who may have trouble reading the small print. Bi-monthly would be ideal.

The price of 40.00 to 50.00 per year would seem reasonable for the quality you are talking. Especially if you maybe adding video performance links.

In terms of contributing, I would be willing to help in any way possible to advance the Kingdom. Especially here in the Northeast where we are now classified as an "unreached people".

Thank you to you and Duane for even "thinking" about starting such an endeavor.

P.S. A BIG thank you to Jamie Doyle for his contributions to the Voice, I have found them to be very inspiring.

Mark
Only he who can see the invisible can do the impossible. Frank L. Gaines
jamiedoyle
View Profile
Special user
Lafayette, IN
619 Posts

Profile of jamiedoyle
Quote:
On Jan 13, 2018, Mark Boody Illusionist wrote:

P.S. A BIG thank you to Jamie Doyle for his contributions to the Voice, I have found them to be very inspiring.

Mark

Hey Mark - Thanks for the kind words. The Jan/Feb issue is out and the resources are on my site.
Jamie Doyle
jamiedoylemagic.com
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2004 Posts

Profile of tbaer
Jamie,

Thanks for another great (don't turn your back) lesson.
jamiedoyle
View Profile
Special user
Lafayette, IN
619 Posts

Profile of jamiedoyle
Quote:
On Jan 14, 2018, tbaer wrote:
Jamie,

Thanks for another great (don't turn your back) lesson.

Thanks tbaer! I enjoy writing these routines.
Jamie Doyle
jamiedoylemagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Fellowship of Christian Magicians! » » A New Magic Magazine for Christian Magicians?? (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL