The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Production Tambourine Instructions (Tricks Co. Japan) (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Hi. I recently aquired a Production Tambourine made by Tricks Co. Japan. I do not know how old it is but it is in great shape and has supposedly never been used. It is still in the original box and wrapped in plastic. However, no instructions came with it. I know how to use the prop and all, but I would like to have a set of insructuons to complete the set.

I know Tricks Co. has been out of business for a good while. Does anyone know where I might be able to find a set of instructions for this prop? I have searched the net and also here, but came up empty.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Mister Mystery
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Regan...PM me with a better description of the prop. I have used a home made version of the Merv Taylor "TAMBOR", eons ago (1940s) when I was a teenager, and, didn't want to spend the $18. for the Taylor "professional" prop (!!). It served me well for about 10 years. Then I bought a used Taylor tambourine. I've use THAT for well over 60 years!

Back in the '50s, the late Billy Russell, published HIS very practical loading technique, and, I've used it since.

I would imagine that your Japanese prop is not much different than the "standard" Taylor type prop (other than dimensions, perhaps). My (Billy's) handling accidentally was left out of my book. Anyway, perhaps I can be of help!

When you write, give me the dimensions of rings, and loader.

Dick
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
In the Rice Encyclopedia of Silk Magic, Volume 1, under "Apparatus Quantity Productions," you'll find the original Petrie Lewis instructions for a trick they named "Creative Silks," that is essentially a small tambourine. Like Dick Oslund, I made my first tambourine from a toy drum, combining the drumhead tube principle with the tambourine principle to get twice as much from it. First the drum would provide a load of silks, and then upon taking it apart, before putting it back together, I showed that I could get a load of silks from just the single drumhead, playing it like a tambourine. Then I used the silks from newspaper principle to produce a load from just the plain single sheet of paper with no drumming or tamb-ing parts. I ended with the glass of wine, as described in The Wizards' Journal #35-02. Thanks for triggering those memories!
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Thanks guys. I know how the apparatus works and how to use it. I have a routine ready as soon as as I round up a few more items. I just wanted a set of the original instructions because its such a nice piece. I always like to keep the insructions for my props but they were missing this time.

The Tricks Co. Japan item # is SM-11 and they called it, "Production Tambourine".
Mister Mystery
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I have a small close up version made by P&L from the 1960's or earlier. Still in blue box with production paper streamers.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
YES~ P&L made "Creative Silks", I believe, as early as the '40s, and, perhaps even earlier, Bill. I've seen the beautiful little prop, but, have never seen anyone DO it!!!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Production Tambourine Instructions (Tricks Co. Japan) (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL