The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Close-Up Illusion by Larry Jennings presented by Michael Ammar (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
robvh
View Profile
Elite user
Calgary, AB
440 Posts

Profile of robvh
Quote:
On Jan 29, 2018, bobgill wrote:
I have bought one of the Ashamed Card (a different version of the Close Up Illusion).

You get three cards, one of which is nicely gimmicked. Plus printed, illustrated instructions in German, to which he's added a page in English that gives you the bare bones. Cost to the UK €25.ce to you depends on how much you are prepared to pay for an improvement on the original.

That said, I'm intrigued by Richard's mention of the Harry Loraine version!

Hi Bob,

I found the Ashamed Card performance intriguing and was wondering if there were any handling limitations to Ashamed Card that aren't present in the Larry Jennings' version. Or is it essentially the same gimmick just made in a cleaner fashion that makes displaying the gimmicked card possible?

I agree that $25 is a substantial premium. I would likely pass unless purchasing the routine also included instructions on how to manufacture my own replacement sets for when the provided set wears out. If it's not something I can make myself than I don't think the cleanliness advantage outweighs the convenience factor of the original. That's just for me. Horses for courses as they say.

I must say I'm as intrigued as you are to learn more about the Harry Lorayne version. Rumour has it that if you say his name three times on The Café he will appear.

Rob
VoltesGX31
View Profile
New user
New York
4 Posts

Profile of VoltesGX31
Paul Harris has a version of Larry Jenning's "Close Up Illusion" is in his book Close-Up Seductions; the trick is called : Bushwhacker. It is also in Art of Astonishment book#3 and on video in the 2nd PH volume of Stars of Magic. This version uses regular cards.
robvh
View Profile
Elite user
Calgary, AB
440 Posts

Profile of robvh
Good to know. I have the Art of Astonishment set. Are there any drawbacks to the Paul Harris version? I like the fact that it's impromptu but can't imagine it looking as clean. Then again, I didn't think Ashamed Card would look so clean with a gimmick involved either!
mantel
View Profile
Special user
922 Posts

Profile of mantel
Quote:
On Jan 29, 2018, robvh wrote:
Are there any drawbacks to the Paul Harris version? I like the fact that it's impromptu but can't imagine it looking as clean.

Yes, there is a discrepancy. But there are ways around it. Check it out, Vol. 3 Page 185.
SleightlyChris
View Profile
Veteran user
Lancashire, England
360 Posts

Profile of SleightlyChris
Question, I was thinking of using this as a parlor piece. Can the gimmick be made with jumbo cards?
egoli
View Profile
Special user
The only magician from Que Que, Southern Rhodesia
737 Posts

Profile of egoli
I don't see any reason why not. The gimmick is very easy to make - just takes a few seconds - and any size card will work.

Ed
SleightlyChris
View Profile
Veteran user
Lancashire, England
360 Posts

Profile of SleightlyChris
Thanks!
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Bruce Cervon uses the same principle in his Giant Monte, which uses jumbo cards. An interesting idea to do Close-up Illusion with jumbo cards.
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
This really does hit the proverbial PACKS SMALL PLAYS BIG right in the kisser!
How's about, PACKS FLAT PLAYS SUPER FAT?

Close-Up Illusion gets 5 out of 5 magic hats!
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
Goldfield
View Profile
Veteran user
Traveller
388 Posts

Profile of Goldfield
Quote:
On Jan 20, 2018, Richard Kaufman wrote:
Harry Lorayne has a great version of this with a gimmick that allowed you to place all three cards on the table and the entire surfaces could be seen. He marketed this 30 years ago!

No published version captures the routine as Larry did it. But a full description will be in my book "Mr. Jennings Takes It Easy."

Any idea where to find Harry Lorayne ’s version? The man is a genius
The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love & be loved in return.
Carta Mundi
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Carta Mundi
Harry's version is called Melt-Through and it is in Trend Setters and Classic Collection 3.
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
Just a heads up to everybody Hocus pocus now officially has these in and ready to send out I highly recommend Crossed Thought to everyone😃

Good magic to all
Eric
echico
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of echico
Is this somehow different than the Cervon Monte? I did not know this principle was associated with Larry Jennings.
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Quote:
On Mar 9, 2021, echico wrote:
Is this somehow different than the Cervon Monte? I did not know this principle was associated with Larry Jennings.

Similar workings, different effect.
dacsus65
View Profile
New user
Massachusetts
16 Posts

Profile of dacsus65
I picked this up recently and am impressed with the ease of it, especially for the reactions I have had. Goes to show that expensive and complicated are not always guarantees of success. This is a nice addition to keep in my pockets.
echico
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of echico
Bruce Cervon had his version called the Cervon Monte. Did they work on this together? Come up with this idea independently? Does anyone know the history?
Al Straker
View Profile
Grammar Host
Australia
1130 Posts

Profile of Al Straker
Quote:
On Mar 7, 2020, Carta Mundi wrote:
Harry's version is called Melt-Through and it is in Trend Setters and Classic Collection 3.

Harry's version is excellent! Also Trend Setters was an incredible book, another effect from there called 'Equalizer' is worth the price of the book alone.
Al Straker
Resident Mystery Entertainer at Multiple Venues
Music & Mentalism Specialty Act 'Completely Mental'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyGhApqnG7I

(Old clip, show has changed quite a bit since then!)

Jazz & Contemporary Musician/Composer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnN3JNmeKns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU_zfOvpneA
underthetree
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of underthetree
I have a tip on close up illusion to share.
Using guarantee joker will be so great to hide the secret.
dj
View Profile
Inner circle
1180 Posts

Profile of dj
Here's another presentation with the Ashamed Card gimmick:
https://youtu.be/W9BroLiZvMg?si=bXXeSSYlHMkq2qU6
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Close-Up Illusion by Larry Jennings presented by Michael Ammar (10 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL