The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Comedy Book Test by Cody Fisher (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Christopher
View Profile
Special user
531 Posts

Profile of Christopher
I'm a huge fan of Cody Fisher and am considering purchasing the Comedy Book Test. The problem is that I can't use the final gag/word in my venue. There is NO way they would let me use the final word on stage. Has anyone come up with an alternative?
cbguy
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of cbguy
Cody's final word is not dirty or bad in any way...what kind of venue are you working? I've performed in churches, schools, daycares, streets, festivals, fairs, corporate shows, women only groups, family shows, 8-12 year old birthday parties, etc, never had a problem using Cody's final word...All the jokes are built around it.
Christopher
View Profile
Special user
531 Posts

Profile of Christopher
I’ve talked to Cody about it. My venue is very very picky and I’ve already asked if it would be acceptable and the response was “you’re kidding right”. There is no mention of bodily functions in the slightest, no innuendo, we can’t even use the word Dam to describe the actual dam near our venue. I’m just trying to figure out another word to rewrite the material around.
cbguy
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of cbguy
WOW!!! Good news/Bad news If you find another word that you can use in conjunction with all the jokes you'll need to go with it, you will have an effect that no one else is doing.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
As the meat of the routine revolves around a word that when connected to the audience member's innocent answers sound outlandish and 'inappropriate it's hard to see how anything of this kind would fit the requirements of your venue.

Sounds like the wrong premise for you to start with.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1338 Posts

Profile of imgic
May want to consider Shawn Faraquar’s book test “Sheer Luck”
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1226 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
The routine is hilarious, but not for every venue. Is this the only place you perform? I'd still buy it and use it elsewhere.
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
I am in a similar situation as Christopher. And would like suggestions, or perhaps I will have to conclude that this wonderful
book test although hilarious in "most settings" is not for me (or my audiences).

For a conservative group and/or conservative stage persona --one that has fun with the audience, but a stage persona that is not comfortable using the word "fart"... can any other fellow members, based on their actually performance experiences with this book test suggest another word that can effectively be substituted and still generate a strong and humorous impact on the audience?

Although I am not truly familiar with the inner workings and script of this routine, I did see it demonstrated in a performance video, when the key word seemed to be "eat."

Because of this, if the word is Eat, or something similar, I wonder if instead of "Fart," the word substituted could be "Snore?" for example?

Along these lines, if this makes sense... "Do you do this at night? Has any e ever seen you do this? Have you ever done this during the day? Have you ever done this in public? A lot? At work? In a restaurant?"
If not I would be interested to hear some other word(s) that could be effectively substituted, to see if these would fi my playful but more conservative character.

Many thanks!

Jonathan
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
MagicMarcV
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of MagicMarcV
I just bought Cody's comedy book test and now I see what everyone is talking about. I mostly perform in churches, so it will be interesting to see how this goes. Will try it on all but kids. My question is: what other books do you guys use for the first two books? I definitely can't use 50 shades of grey. Would like them to be popular books, but can't think of two books that are in stark contrast to each other. Thanks for any suggestions!
MagicMarcV
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of MagicMarcV
This thread suggested using the word FAIL. http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=16
Not really as funny, but you could still get the double entendre.
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2018, imgic wrote:
May want to consider Shawn Faraquar’s book test “Sheer Luck”

Yes, Shawn's Book Test would be a good (and still funny) substitute for those venues where Cody's might not be appropriate. There is one for sale currently here on the Café

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=76
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
jnork
View Profile
Regular user
Jason Christopher
176 Posts

Profile of jnork
Hey all, I just saw this effect in a show last night. GREAT effect. I'll be buying it. I don't know 'exactly' how the effect works, but I get a pretty good indication (I've been around for awhile) and can certainly do this routine JUST from what I saw last night. I won't be ... I'll be purchasing a copy legit when I'm ready for a new addition to my show, because from what I saw, it plays so good! Plus it's the right thing to do and that's how I operate. So realize that this is just a pure guess on my part. I don't post here often (for specific reasons) and am even debating if I should hit 'post' on this. I tend to be direct. So if that offends you, you can SKIP THE POST.

It also didn't take me long to think of a work-around to Christopher's (and some other's) issue. The performance I saw last night was more hands OFF (really clean) and I cannot 100% verify that it is Cody's version 100% from start to finish. The magician last night did drop Cody's name (which Is why I'm researching it here ... and found this thread) and from some of the info above ... it appears that I saw the full version... I also did a search on YouTube and found another version that was not as clean and further cemented my work-around. Please note I DO NOT HAVE AN ALTERNATE WORD to substitute (read below as to why) so if that's what you're looking for, you can SKIP THE POST.

Also, I'm aware that Christopher is a pro and a top-notch guy from some of his posts. Some of this won't apply to him. Some of this WILL apply to others reading this post. He knows his markets limits and is professional enough to realize that and wants to do a work-around. Part of the reason that' I'm not offering another word is that we, as magicians, need to find out what may or may not work for every venue and sometimes a trick or presentation may need to be altered. (see post a few above for an alternate word). You see sometimes the trick will not fit with your show 'right out of the box'. You have to do 'some' work sometimes. Yes, you should buy a trick 'complete' but what ALSO comes with a trick is thoughts .... ideas.... inspiration ... it's doesn't have to be done word for word. Think a little bit ... allow the creator to inspire you ... to put you on a track you didn't have before. Don't get ME wrong, I do a lot of stuff verbatim in my show ... others tricks and patter I change. What fits YOU? Adapt to what your needs are.

Let me also say, what in the WORLD have we come to that we can't use the word 'fart' . Seriously. Just Seriously. I work pretty conservatively. I don't cuss in my shows (My strongest 'curse' word is 'ticked off' in my show). I work for the corporate market a lot. I work in the school market (all levels). I have in the past worked for churches. I cannot fathom ANY venue where there would be an issue with 'fart'. I could see using even this word in Elementary school shows. YES FOLKS, Elementary Schools. I would use the word 'fart' in an elementary school and it would bring the house down AND I'm pretty sure the teachers would not have an issue with it. The routine is funny because of that word. Sorry but people in general need to lighten up all around. ( I WORK in my shows conservatively, I don't live it -- as you can see...)

Understand that I am in NO way making light of Christopher's situation. It is what it is and if the client vetoed it, he has to deal with that issue -- so let's work with it. Just realize, that sometimes in life, you have to fart LOL.

Now as one may be aware, this is a take off of Wayne Dobson's 'Exchange' which is a trick I personally would NOT use in schools or in the corporate arena, nor churches. So, I think you can see where my 'line' may be that I prefer not to cross.
NOW... the answer. The two books handed out to the audience members don't have to be in any way gimmicked. So, what's the issue here?
Come on ...
think for a moment.
Seriously.

One can't use "50 Shades" ? (a book I honestly don't know if I'd use in the corporate market. For sure NOT schools. Corporate is debatable. They're all adults.)
So, you can't use "50 Shades" Simple ... the top two current NY Times best Sellers are:
" Crazy Rich Asians" (OH MY GOD! I USED THE WORD 'ASIANS' IN A SHOW--yep ... I did ... lighten up and deal with it)
and "Magic Triumphs" so you use those books. Part of the problem solved.

Now we have an issue with the Joke book. Hmmmm. No, there's no issue. A simple page !@#$e does it. What do YOU want to use?:
Becker's Flashback?
A c**n inserted?
A m**sc**l ala Hoy?
A s***t page?
A r***le f**ce?

Now, left over is for one to go out and find 3 books that fit the bill of having good words where you need them.

Sounds like a full day trip to the library and/or Boarders is in store for someone. That the price to pay for NOT using it verbatim. And that price will be so worth it (as noted above) as Christopher will be the ONLY one doing that version and it's going to rock! Not me. I'm going to just buy Cody's version and use it Smile

Jason
Yours in Magic!
Jason
jnork
View Profile
Regular user
Jason Christopher
176 Posts

Profile of jnork
LOL .. I just realized that the system took out some of 'very bad words' and put in **** LOL.
I used D**n and P*SS above. In case you wanted to know.
*sigh* SMH.
Good reason for that deletion though. I approve. People can get testy here.
Jason
Yours in Magic!
Jason
jnork
View Profile
Regular user
Jason Christopher
176 Posts

Profile of jnork
Hey all, I just saw this effect in a show last night. GREAT effect. I'll be buying it. I don't know 'exactly' how the effect works, but I get a pretty good indication (I've been around for awhile) and can certainly do this routine JUST from what I saw last night. I won't be ... I'll be purchasing a copy legit when I'm ready for a new addition to my show, because from what I saw, it plays so good! Plus it's the right thing to do and that's how I operate. So realize that this is just a pure guess on my part. I don't post here often (for specific reasons) and am even debating if I should hit 'post' on this. I tend to be direct. So if that offends you, you can SKIP THE POST.

It also didn't take me long to think of a work-around to Christopher's (and some other's) issue. The performance I saw last night was more hands OFF (really clean) and I cannot 100% verify that it is Cody's version 100% from start to finish. The magician last night did drop Cody's name (which Is why I'm researching it here ... and found this thread) and from some of the info above ... it appears that I saw the full version... I also did a search on YouTube and found another version that was not as clean and further cemented my work-around. Please note I DO NOT HAVE AN ALTERNATE WORD to substitute (read below as to why) so if that's what you're looking for, you can SKIP THE POST.

If moderators feel I gave away too much, feel free to remove.

Also, I'm aware that Christopher is a pro and a top-notch guy from some of his posts. Some of this won't apply to him. Some of this WILL apply to others reading this post. He knows his markets limits and is professional enough to realize that and wants to do a work-around. Part of the reason that' I'm not offering another word is that we, as magicians, need to find out what may or may not work for every venue and sometimes a trick or presentation may need to be altered. (see post a few above for an alternate word). You see sometimes the trick will not fit with your show 'right out of the box'. You have to do 'some' work sometimes. Yes, you should buy a trick 'complete' but what ALSO comes with a trick is thoughts .... ideas.... inspiration ... it's doesn't have to be done word for word. Think a little bit ... allow the creator to inspire you ... to put you on a track you didn't have before. Don't get ME wrong, I do a lot of stuff verbatim in my show ... others tricks and patter I change. What fits YOU? Adapt to what your needs are.

Let me also say, what in the WORLD have we come to that we can't use that word at the end?. Seriously. Just Seriously. I work pretty conservatively. I don't cuss in my shows (no *** or hell or ****--My strongest 'curse' word is 'ticked off' in my show). I work for the corporate market a lot. I work in the school market (all levels). I have in the past worked for churches. I cannot fathom ANY venue where there would be an issue with that word at all. I could see using even this word in Elementary school shows. YES FOLKS, Elementary Schools. I would use the word in an elementary school and it would bring the house down AND I'm pretty sure the teachers would not have an issue with it. The routine is funny because of that word. Sorry but people in general need to lighten the F*@k up all around. ( I WORK in my shows conservatively, I don't live it -- as you can see...)

Understand that I am in NO way making light of Christopher's situation. It is what it is and if the client vetoed it, he has to deal with that issue -- so let's work with it. Just realize, that sometimes in life, you have to let it fly. LOL.

Now as one may be aware, this is a take off of Wayne Dobson's 'Exchange' which is a trick I personally would NOT use in schools or in the corporate arena, nor churches. So, I think you can see where my 'line' may be that I prefer not to cross. Such a shame as THAT is a hell of tick too!

NOW... the answer. The two books handed out to the audience members don't have to be in any way g******ked. So, what's the issue here?
Come on ...
think for a moment.
Seriously.

One can't use "50 Shades" ? (a book I honestly don't know if I'd use in the corporate market. For sure NOT schools. Corporate is debatable. They're all adults.)
So, you can't use "50 Shades" Simple ... the top two current NY Times best Sellers are:
" Crazy Rich Asians" (OH MY GOD! I USED THE WORD 'ASIANS' IN A SHOW--yep ... I did ... lighten up and deal with it)
and "Magic Triumphs" so you use those books. Part of the problem solved.

Now we have an issue with the Joke book. Hmmmm. No, there's no issue. A simple page !@#$e does it. What do YOU want to use?:
Becker's Flashback?
A c**n inserted?
A m**sc**l ala Hoy?
A s***t page?
A r***le f**ce?

Now, left over is for one to go out and find 3 books that fit the bill of having good words where you need them.

Sounds like a full day trip to the library and/or Boarders is in store for someone. That the price to pay for NOT using it verbatim. And that price will be so worth it (as noted above) as Christopher will be the ONLY one doing that version and it's going to rock! Not me. I'm going to just buy Cody's version and use it Smile

Jason
Yours in Magic!
Jason
shooz
View Profile
Loyal user
Mercer, PA
269 Posts

Profile of shooz
Hi everyone,
I agree with Jason's review (Hi Jason) and thoughts on this effect.
I just returned from a magic show in my town, and the performer works cruise ship and corporate mainly. The theatre was a mix of adults, teenagers and kids.
The magician performed this effect using 3 books, including "50 shades". No one was offended and the jokes that went right by the kids...and many of the teens... Rocked the adults. No one seemed offended after the show judging by the long line to meet the magician.
Speaking with the magician after the show, we discussed this exact problem with the effect. He said he has never felt odd using this in a mixed crowd. All age groups were laughing all the way through, but for different reasons.
I have "Exchange" and "Texting" buy Dobson, but will be adding this routine after seeing how well it played.
Just my couple of pennies...
Scott Shoemaker ...Shooz
With you in thought(s)

Scott Shoemaker... Shooz
Christopher
View Profile
Special user
531 Posts

Profile of Christopher
Just to be clear, I have NO issue with the jokes or routine. My theater and production company made it clear that the final word is not to be used on stage under any circumstance. They are VERY conservative and we are not allowed to imply any body function in the slightest. There is no debate or discussion to the contrary and they are the ones that sign my checks. Lol
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Comedy Book Test by Cody Fisher (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL