The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Originality and crediting in mentalism? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ThomasIndigo
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of ThomasIndigo
Hi all, I've been playing with a lot of different concepts and techniques and am considering publishing a book or project at some point in the future. How could I go about ensuring that my creditting is detailed enough?

Thanks for any insight.

Tom Indigo
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2017 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
Tom:

I think that the best answer is to credit sources the same way you would if you were writing a book on any other subject that other writers have already written about. You'd cite your sources the same way that any good source in research for writing would direct you. Barzun and Graff's The Modern Researcher is a classic example.
ThomasIndigo
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of ThomasIndigo
Thanks for the tip, George. I definitely want to make sure others get credit where credit is due.
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
The MLA method of paper writing works well https://www7.esc.edu/hshapiro/writing_pr......_mla.htm
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
Sometimes, depending on the situation, crediting isn't enough and permission should be sought from the original creator.

Best,

Atlas
Cervier
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1275 Posts

Profile of Cervier
Giving proper credits is something that you will find difficult to do by yourself.

The first thing you should do is send your manuscript or questions to some knowledgeable people you know of. There's so much around and so many things are published everyday even that even the most avid readers are far from knowing everything. Still, this is the best way to get the most information.
I'll add you're just supposed to do your best, within reasonnable limits.

You can also check sites such as Ask Alexander, and do some research from there.

Some people you should also ask are those who have put out things resembling what you want to publish. Be aware that some will claim ownership of whatever idea you ask them about, saying that yours is merely a variation of theirs. Your objecting that theirs is merely a variation of someone else's will get you the standard reply "No, mine is totally different!".

But you will also get very kind answers, giving you permission to publish and former sources about the idea.

At any rate, if detailing your idea require that you explain someone else's method, either ask for permission, or don't explain the method (give sources). If the method is a standard one another creator uses in a specific book, feel free to explain the method, but don't mention the book so as not to give away this other creator's secret.
"A friend is someone who know you well but loves you anyway" H. Lauwick
The Lynx Deck, http://jmmaries.free.fr/cervier/
Grapheeteez, on GooglePlay
Telemos the peek envelope, on SkywardMagic
Telemos en Francais sur TheMysteryStore
ThomasIndigo
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of ThomasIndigo
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2018, Atlas wrote:
Sometimes, depending on the situation, crediting isn't enough and permission should be sought from the original creator.

Best,

Atlas

This is actually my main concern. I intend to seek the permission of a big name our two in mentalism. I feel my effects are original enough, but I certainly wouldn't want to infringe upon the people who've inspired me.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Originality and crediting in mentalism? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL