The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Follow up to Metal Sheep (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I'm really enjoying using Gary Jones' Metal Sheep. In my wallet, I have a little built in coin compartment. Inside of that, I have a few gimmicked paper envelopes. In one, I have the Metal Sheep coins and on the other side of the gimmicked envelope, I have the same configuration of un-gimmicked dimes and pennies, two dimes and five pennies.

I am trying to come up with a really good follow up routine with the un-gimmicked coins.

Any ideas?

KJ
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
Does it have to use all of them, or is a subset OK?

If you keep the gimmicked ones out, you could do some fun inferential stuff that Kainoa likes. Or Coin On Call (https://www.google.com/search?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=coin+on+call&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8)

For ungimmicked, you have the option of coins across or matrix work, and the seven penny trick (from Bobo's, but you could easily do it with fewer).

Those are just some initial ones I have. I'm sure there are many more, though I personally think dimes and pennies are a bit small.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Thanks. It doesn't have to be all the coins. I don't have a problem with matrix with pennies. I realize that common "magician" thinking is that pennies are too small. However, to me, things like matrix are very close up routines and the size of the coin isn't as important. In fact, I think pennies are better than half dollars because they are more recognizable. Also, pennies have a certain charm that other coins don't have. They are like the "baby" in the family. Of course, to each their own.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I am also trying to find something that is unique that would use both regular pennies and regular dimes. Any number would be ok. It could be a single penny and a single dime or several, as long as it doesn't require more than two dimes and five pennies.
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

I think I found the perfect thing for you. It uses most of them, in fact!
How about that old bar-bet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq6JpfgodoE

You could also do one of those "turn around the triangle" type ones, but those tend not to use multiple types of coins.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
If you happen to carry a Dollar sized penny or a regular jumbo penny somewhere on you, J.C. Wagner's "Poor Man's Matrix" is awesome.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
I second that J.C. Wagner effect.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2018, tonsofquestions wrote:
I think I found the perfect thing for you. It uses most of them, in fact!
How about that old bar-bet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq6JpfgodoE

You could also do one of those "turn around the triangle" type ones, but those tend not to use multiple types of coins.

This is really good. I will definitely learn this one. I was thinking that one good option in addition to something like a matrix would be a bar bet sort of thing where they handle the coins.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2018, Poof-Daddy wrote:
If you happen to carry a Dollar sized penny or a regular jumbo penny somewhere on you, J.C. Wagner's "Poor Man's Matrix" is awesome.

Thanks for that. I am going to have to break out the old WGM DVD and re-watch. I have my own matrix that I do with a UFO theme that I really like, but I'll check out Wagners routine again. Thanks.

KJ
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Oh, yeah. I'd forgotten about Poor Man's Matrix. Good suggestion. Though it really wants both extras as the kicker, not just one.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Another one I just found in my "vaults" was Pennies from Heaven by Dean Dill. I am going to get to work on a version without the certain "gimmicks" that he used.
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Another one I thought of today: any of the Scotch and Soda effects, but with Dime & Penny. If you make the dimes disappear, it's a good reason to use the pennies for the coins across. You could even use the gaff as the extra one.

Man, now you have me trying to build up a pennies-and-dimes-only routine for myself! Smile
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
On Feb 28, 2018, tonsofquestions wrote:
Another one I thought of today: any of the Scotch and Soda effects, but with Dime & Penny. If you make the dimes disappear, it's a good reason to use the pennies for the coins across. You could even use the gaff as the extra one.

Man, now you have me trying to build up a pennies-and-dimes-only routine for myself! Smile

LOL

I know most magicians use fancy antique half dollar and dollar coins, but there are some advantages to using more regular coins. First, most coin magic is close up. Most people have no trouble seeing "regular" size coins. Second, there is really something to be said for magic with ordinary items. Even Kennedy halves are not ordinary items.
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

To me it's only partially about the visibility for the spectator, but there's also the impact- a dollar coin does seems so much harder to hide than a dime, because of its size.

That said, even more important is the way it feels to me. Dimes and pennies are small and fiddly. They don't CP well, and to FP one, it requires a pretty big curvature in my hand. It doesn't fit nicely, or look particularly natural. Thus I like the larger coins. It's possible to get cheap foreign coins that are larger, and while there are fewer gaffs, you can play it off as something you picked up while traveling, rather than needing to talk about how they used to be coins, but now aren't in circulation, yadda yadda.

But yes, to each their own.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Very true, tonsofquestions.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Follow up to Metal Sheep (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL