The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Why so much emphasis on everything being "fair"? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Absolutely correct.

If someone has to believe what you say that is one thing. But if they have convinced themselves they will argue the point with others.

The important part in my mind is they convince themselves of the entire story. So when they are telling others they fill in the gaps. When you make them believe you all they have is what you show them.

It is a HUGE difference in the end. Listen to how people describe magic. How many times have you heard them describe things that never happened? This is them filling in things on their own because they are that convinced. It might happen from your proving things yes but not to the degree if they convince themselves.

Just one position, not a law.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Quote:
On May 3, 2018, Dannydoyle wrote:
But if they have convinced themselves they will argue the point with others.

So when they are telling others they fill in the gaps.

I think those two sentences are really a good summary of the concept and motivation.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
Al Schneider
View Profile
V.I.P.
A corn field in WI surrounded by
1080 Posts

Profile of Al Schneider
I open my close up show with a card routine.

My first line is, "This is a trick deck of cards."

They never question me.

Al
Magic Al. Say it fast and it is magical.
magicianbrady
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of magicianbrady
Quote:
On Apr 15, 2018, pegasus wrote:
I have to say that I hate it when performers start to backtrack the whole bloody routine stating how fair it all was. Just get on with it. It simply dilutes the whole routine imo. Specs memories aren’t really that bad you know. Lol.

I agree. It just stretches out the process part when basically everyone is waiting for the magic moment. I recap a trick only when I need to provide some time delay or I want the spectator to have a slight different memory than what actually happened.
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
One of the first rules drummed into me early on was: Don't "say" what you want them to believe. ACT what you want them to believe. Want them to believe the deck of cards is "normal"? Toss out the deck as if it means nothing special and ask them to handle it, shuffle it, etc.

I used to do the Mental Photog deck by taking it out and saying, "Here I have my favorite Trick Deck...." And, then go on to blow them away. People aren't stupid. If you make a deck all blank the way you can with a Mental Photography deck...well, you might as well be up front from the start. The funny thing is, the routine itself is so freaking amazing that folks don't CARE if it's a "trick".

But, saying at ANY time, "Here we have a NORMAL whatever...." is just running when no one is chasing. Why start by putting the idea into the heads of the spectators that there is such a thing as an "abnormal" or "unfair" magic object??? The goofy looking stuff like Chinese Sticks speaks for itself, you don't have to help it along with protestations of "fairness", etc.
Brad Burt
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Why so much emphasis on everything being "fair"? (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL