The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Lubor's Dice Shocker (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
I recently was gifted a mint in the package Lubor Fiedler's Dice Shocker. Lubor is of course a favorite creator for many of us here so this is a neat find. The effect is fairly well known and was "adopted" by others over the years. Essentially the dots magically turn white on an unpainted die. I know how it works but would love to track down a copy of the original instructions if anyone has them.

Here is the deal... if someone can send me a PDF of the original instructions I will send them a PDF of an article from an old "Abracadabra" magazine which detailed some cool ways to use these dice.

Below is a shot of the dice in the package..

Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
All I know is that it was marketed under many names like "Shock Dice", "Fiedler-Würfel", "Mirror Dice", "Dice Illusion" or "Lubor Dice".
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Thanks Felix:

Yes was definitely issued under different names... combining with a mirror was a latter evolution not associated with Lubor. I believe John Kennedy was the first to market the effect with the Mirror, though others including Bob Farmer claim to have originated that combination.

I believe this version shown was one of the first put out by Lubor so having a copy of the original instructions would be cool.
Bob Farmer
View Profile
Elite user
Magic Forest
428 Posts

Profile of Bob Farmer
I was the first to use a mirror. Here's the story: at a Ibidem Events convention at the Oban Inn in Niagara On The Lake, Ontario (late 1970s or early 1980s) Mel Stover showed me Lubor's effect. His die was white, as I recall. It looked blank. He placed it in a glass and shook the glass and the spots appeared (the die was also weighted so this could occur).

Mel and I were in my room at the Oban, which was a very old hotel (it's since burned down). The dresser in my room had a glass top with a mirror backing. When I was looking at the die and understanding how it worked, I put it on the dresser and told Mel it was a vampire die because you couldn't see its spots in the mirror.

Mel jumped up, grabbed the die and ran out of the room. Mel was a bit of a madman.

About an hour later, Mel had found a small mirror and was showing everybody.

That's how it started and it went viral from there.
Inert
View Profile
Special user
Babbled incessantly for
683 Posts

Profile of Inert
Super score John-O. There are some old posts on the Café entitled 'Dice Illusion'. Lubor's original is mentioned, recommended & performed by some. Bet you could beg, borrow or steal a copy of the instructions from one of the performers. Worth a shot mate, as it appears you now possess the superior version. Congrats.
Bob_Hummer
View Profile
Special user
842 Posts

Profile of Bob_Hummer
Do you have a reference for which issue of Abra this article appeared in?

Cheers!
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Bob, thanks for sharing the back story, one of those fun magic moments of accidental inspiration sure!

Bob_Hummer, I will see if the Abra issue info is on the article somwehere.

Inert, I will keep searching for the original instructions... thanks for the suggestion.
Inert
View Profile
Special user
Babbled incessantly for
683 Posts

Profile of Inert
Did you make any headway on this Lubor Fiedler quest John?
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Not yet... I hope to make a little video showing the die with a Tenyo prop in action though.
Inert
View Profile
Special user
Babbled incessantly for
683 Posts

Profile of Inert
Good stuff. I'm already wearing the 3D glasses from Flying Carpet in anticipation.
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Thanks to Café member and used dealer extraordinaire Joe Long... I now have a copy of the original instructions! Thanks Joe.

John
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Café power! Smile
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Absolutely! Smile
Mark F
View Profile
Regular user
145 Posts

Profile of Mark F
Wow, this was posted three years ago and I missed it! In 2009 I started a post about this trick and at that time, and for years, there were no photos around of the original Tannen marketed version in the original packaging. Just amazing to finally see it!!! Thank you - 3 years too late.

Back on my original post I listed the various marketed versions. Lubor's original was probably the most "visual" because the die was a little larger but it looks a bit too handmade. Obviously this was not unusual for original Lubor effects. Of all the marketed versions this particular one is the best, in my opinion.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Lubor's Dice Shocker (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL