The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Dry hands (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Ravenspur
View Profile
Regular user
Granby, MA
167 Posts

Profile of Ravenspur
I don't know if this helps, but here's a list of ingredients from their website. I don't use it. I use Corn Huskers lotion.
https://okeeffescompany.com/products/working-hands

JAR

Water, Glycerin, Stearic Acid, Sodium Hydroxide, Paraffin, Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Allantoin, Octyldodecyl Stearate, Diazolidinyl Urea, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Acrylates/Acrylamide Copolymer, Mineral Oil, Polysorbate 85

TUBE

Water, Glycerin, Stearic Acid, Isopropyl Myristate, Ceteareth-20, Cetyl Alcohol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Sodium Hydroxide, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Paraffin, Dimethicone, Propylene Glycol, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Diazolidinyl Urea
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Special user
New York, NY
595 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Good job Ravenspur. I don;t see formaldehyde, nor would I expect there to be any. It is used to preserve tissue, e.g., for various microscopic procedures. I don't use O'keefe's myself.
So many sleights...so little time.
"Slow...deliberate...natural." Bill Tarr

Cheers,
Teddy
Schlawiner
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Schlawiner
I got my info from amazon when I tried to buy it. In the comments several people mentioned this test:
https://www.oekotest.de/kosmetik-wellnes......7_1.html

English site via google translate:
https://translate.google.com/translate?s......7_1.html

Ökotest is a well-known institut in germany which verifies the quality of products.

In the test they say that the manufacturer doesn't include formaldehyde in the ingredients, but the labor test showed that it's included.
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Special user
New York, NY
595 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Very interesting [although the English translation did not show for me]. I can believe it but it still does not make sense to me. I found this on the web:

"Formaldehyde in cosmetics is widely understood to cause allergic skin reactions and rashes in some people. Although concentrations of formaldehyde in personal care products are generally low, everyday products can contain enough formaldehyde to trigger a reaction in people with formaldehyde sensitivities."

Another article reported:

"But the major concern is that formaldehyde causes cancer. The National Toxicology Program’s June report classified formaldehyde as a carcinogen under conditions with high or prolonged exposure—conditions typical for industrial workers and professional groups, including embalmers and even salon workers. These exposures typically do not occur in cosmetic and personal care products."

The main question should be why it is not listed on a product's ingredient list, unless the level is really very low.

Cheers,
Teddy
Glenn Morphew
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago
486 Posts

Profile of Glenn Morphew
Quote:
On Apr 29, 2021, Rebis wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 28, 2021, mightytimbo wrote:
I Just want to say I am so grateful for this thread. I was so very frustrated working with cards (My primary interest) and ready to give up on any of it, until I found this thread. As the OP mentioned my hands just slide of the cards like they are made of ice, but per the suggestions here I got okeefe's and I can handle the cards with any sleight. (Anyone that I can do anyway).

Other lotions had been greasy and were not a viable solution. The advice here has made a huge difference in my moving forward in magic. Hope bumping this up helps others.

I felt the same; the top card palm (Morphew's way) has been a pain in the **s for a long time, then I stumbled across this thread and... done! Smile

Rebis... the first thing I talk about in my tutorial is "dry skin solutions" and I offer 3 of them. How did you miss it? In any event, I'm glad to hear you have the problem solved now. Doing card magic with dry hands is Impossible at worst and very difficult at best.

Click here and see for yourself
Visit www.povmagician.com for
The Rub-a-dub Deluxe Suite
The Morphew One Hand Top Palm
Bob's 3 Shell Boot Camp and more...
Rebis
View Profile
New user
Verona, Italy
54 Posts

Profile of Rebis
Actually, the solution I adopted was the Glycerine+alcohol+rosewater, and if I remember correctly it's in the tutorial (as well as in this thread).

Of course, after reading this thread I went back to that tutorial and.. as you said, that's the first thing you talk about.

At the time I must have been to excited to get to the "juicy" part.
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Special user
New York, NY
595 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Excellent move Rebis. Inexpensive too!

Cheers,
Teddy
Aintnothingbutachickenwing
View Profile
New user
Dublin Ireland
20 Posts

Profile of Aintnothingbutachickenwing
I use any hand moisturizer I can get my hands on (see what I did there) and this works fine for me
Davina
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Davina
When I attended a convention there was someone with a plain bottle of an amber liquid; I tried it and it was so good, not oily or greasy and it gave me the best grip I ever had. I have very dry hands, chemo and age seem to have affected my touch/skin. Because of out current situation I have not been to an in person gathering lately and I am still searching for that wonderful liquid.
dschmunis
View Profile
New user
Hillsboro, OR
91 Posts

Profile of dschmunis
Hi Davina,

Hard to say but buy the color and feel description I think it may have bee chamberlain golden touch lotion
dschmunis
View Profile
New user
Hillsboro, OR
91 Posts

Profile of dschmunis
Hello all,

The other day, while watching the Jason England’s Penguin lecture, he mentioned that he uses Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Hand Cream. Today, while shopping at my local Fred Meyer I found it on the shelf and got a little tube.

I just applied it for the first time (and I barely put any one) and I have to say that FIRST IMPRESSION is that I like it better than O’Keefe Working Hands one. It seems to absorbe a bit faster and doesn’t feel as thick, greasy, dump in my hands. Will see how it feels when handling props and how long it last in the hands.

Another thing that I started doing before I shower is using a foot file board to scrub my hands. I work out with weights a lot and my hands get extra dry and thick on the top player of the skin. So I scrub them pretty good until they get a bit rosy and soft (don’t draw blood. If you do, you’ve gone too far) and just doing that I could noticed a softness in the skin and a bit more moisture… something to keep in mind.

Best,
D
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1174 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
I have tried all sorts of moisturisers. Including those mentioned above. They help, but not for very long.
At the moment, I just accept that I can do some sleights but not others.
Dale J. O'Neill
View Profile
Regular user
I can't believe I only have
132 Posts

Profile of Dale J. O'Neill
Quote:
On Sep 2, 2021, Davina wrote:
When I attended a convention there was someone with a plain bottle of an amber liquid; I tried it and it was so good, not oily or greasy and it gave me the best grip I ever had. I have very dry hands, chemo and age seem to have affected my touch/skin. Because of out current situation I have not been to an in person gathering lately and I am still searching for that wonderful liquid.

I bought some at Blackpool last year called Drop Stop by Roy Kueppers that matches that description. Amber colored in a little roll on bottle.

It works great BTW.
Twist,

Magically misdirecting you, one effect at a time.....

www.misdirectionist.com
Dale J. O'Neill
View Profile
Regular user
I can't believe I only have
132 Posts

Profile of Dale J. O'Neill
I'm not sure if it has been mentioned but if you make up some magic lotion (Alcohol, glycerin, rosewater) try using the 10ml roller bottles that are usually used for essential oil application. You can find them on Amazon and they are perfect for carrying the lotion as well as applying it in exactly the right amount.
Twist,

Magically misdirecting you, one effect at a time.....

www.misdirectionist.com
bubc
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of bubc
Ive tried all tips of moisturizers and such and they are okay, but the real secret to curing my dry hands was the preventative method, which does also cure the issue. Which is drink more water. Try to drink a bottle of water every couple hours or so, and you will start peeing clear. after this you will notice your hands will be less dry as you are really hydrating yourself sufficiently.

this is the real solution, moisturizers tend to be like having a dagger stabbed you in your leg, and you just take advil to get rid of the pain, instead of removing the dagger itself. weird analogy but I'm sure you get the point
aoakden
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of aoakden
I tried using Octopalm from Jim Bodine. Even though the ad copy said no residue, it stills feels odd to me. I definitely notice it is there.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Dry hands (14 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL