The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Draven Reviews: Index Express by Michel (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

William Draven
View Profile
Elite user
Las Vegas, NV
486 Posts

Profile of William Draven
Title: Index Express
Artist: Michel
Producers: Vernet
Link: Available At Your Favorite Murphy’s Magic Dealer
Retail Price: $49.00 USD
Learning Difficulty: Medium
Length of DVD: 25 Minutes
Notes: Also comes with a PDF instruction book too.

I love mentalism and I love utility devices, so it makes sense that Index Express would catch my eye. A smaller, pocket sized, index styled after Annemann’s classic outlined in 13 steps by Corinda. Instead of the usual card loads this smaller index is designed to hold loads made out of coffee shop sugar packets. You just cut open one end, dump the sugar out, write your prediction on the inside, load the index, and you’re solid. The types of reveals are up to you, but the instructions lean heavy on playing cards. Also, like the Annemann index, there’s room for 52 different reveals.

Construction of the gimmick is what caught my attention. I own an Annemann index and it was made from cheap plastic. This gimmick seems to be made from a sturdy card stock that is riveted together. There’s an additional inclusion of a slip of card stock in each of the pockets that helps hold the load in place that my other index didn’t have. I thought that was a nice touch. Unlike other indexes that can get super bulky, Index Express is super thin! It is obvious a lot of care and thought has gone into the design of the product.

Working with the index is fun. Like I said, there’s a wide range of things you can do with it so you’re not limited to just the classic invisible deck, any card named, reveal. If you use the intended loads, coffee shop sugar packets, then you’ll need to purchase a couple boxes of those to get enough to work with. Splenda, and Equal will also work. It just must be those small rectangular ones. Not the straw like ones you’ll see in Starbucks. Alternatively, I suppose you could use small slips of paper cut to the right size too. I’ve experimented with Post A Notes, but I kind of like the sugar packet approach better. I think it feels somehow, more organic.

This is a gem of a find! The price is about right as well. At nearly fifty dollars, it’ll keep the curious away from it and leave it to those who really appreciate what you can do with it. The instructions are either a video download, which comes in just under thirty minutes in length, or a short PDF booklet. I downloaded them both and found them to be useful. More experienced index users will probably prefer the PDF, while anyone new to the utility will find the video explanation’s helpful. Anyone with experience working with indices knows the power these things possess! The learning curve is moderate, it will take some practice to get smooth. Overall a wonderful tool. I highly recommend it!

When I give my product scores below I am measuring them on a scale of 1 to 10. 1 Being absolute the worst score possible, and 10 being the absolute best, making a score of five average. The three points that I grade upon is Product Quality, Teaching Quality, and Overall Quality.

Product Quality: 8
Nicely constructed, will hold together for a long life of use.

Teaching Quality: 8
Video or print, the instructions are clear.

Overall Quality: 8
This is a wonderful find! I love utility devices, and you can’t get much more utility than an index.

Do you have a product you want reviewed? Want to see if it will stand up to the Draven Seal of Approval? Contact me directly at thewilliamdraven@gmail.com to find out how your product could be on the next Draven Reviews! Don't forget to like my blog where all my reviews are posted at www.williamdraven.wordpress.com.
kidnapped1853
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of kidnapped1853
William thanks for the clear and thorough review! I very much like your rating system as well.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Draven Reviews: Index Express by Michel (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL