The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » String Telephone (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Wes Holly
View Profile
Special user
Cincinnati, OH, USA
644 Posts

Profile of Wes Holly
Greetings!
I'm making a large string telephone for preschool shows about sound & vibrations. Perhaps as large as two 5 gallon buckets but could be paint can size. I'd like to incorporate it somehow into a magic routine and looking for ideas to accomplish this. The phone doesn't have to be the magic, it could be used to make the magic happen or as a comedy bit during the routine.
Happily Yours,
Wes Holly
www.wesholly.com
Cincinnati, OH, USA
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
What about using it to move an object from one place to another (for example, a silk in a TT, or candy in a Candy Pan)? Treat it like a teleporter.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Wes Holly
View Profile
Special user
Cincinnati, OH, USA
644 Posts

Profile of Wes Holly
Thanks Donald! It took a bit of swirling around my empty head but the idea of if the string is moving sound from one can to the other, what if it could move something else? 2 sponge balls go in one can and transport to the other can. I like that I don't have to gimmick the cans to make this work. Oh yeah - I'm using coffee cans.
Happily Yours,
Wes Holly
www.wesholly.com
Cincinnati, OH, USA
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Years ago someone sold a package complete with cans, string and other props. Of course, I've forgotten who it was or what the trick was called, but I am certain it was out there... Smile

Julie
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Maybe you're thinking of Can O Corn, from Collector's Workshop.

Here's a variation by the same company.

https://www.vikingmagic.com/product/can-o-peanuts/

https://www.vikingmagic.com/product/can-o-chips/

There are lots of threads on Can O Corn (and other effects of that nature), if you do a search.

Or maybe you're thinking of Phone-Ale, from Wolf's Magic.

http://wolfsmagic.com/A_PhoneAle%202013.htm

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Hello Donald

No, the outfit I'm remembering is neither of those...

Forgetful Julie Smile
jamiedoyle
View Profile
Special user
Lafayette, IN
619 Posts

Profile of jamiedoyle
You're thinking of the effect/routine by Professor Putter (Mike Makman)
Jamie Doyle
International President - Fellowship of Christian Magicians
jamiedoylemagic.com
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
THAT sounds like it. Thanks, Jamie! Smile

Julie
Beowulf
View Profile
Loyal user
Thomas A. Lilly
284 Posts

Profile of Beowulf
Tin-Can Telefax. After first playing with some cans connected by string, you show off your new invention: selected but not revealed card goes in one can and is printed on a blank piece of card stock in the other can...but there's not string.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Add two more cans and link them in a chain to the first two. Now you can have even more fun passing secret messages, or sponge balls, or whatever from can to can to can to can.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On Jun 21, 2018, jimgerrish wrote:
Add two more cans and link them in a chain to the first two. Now you can have even more fun passing secret messages, or sponge balls, or whatever from can to can to can to can.

Perhaps you CAN then slide into Jolly Roger's (remember him?) comedy routine with the passe' passe' cans and peanut butter & jelly. (I've forgotten what that was called, too.)

Julie
ViolinKing
View Profile
Veteran user
a loyal user has no more than
307 Posts

Profile of ViolinKing
Quote:
On Jun 5, 2018, Wes Holly wrote:
Greetings!
I'm making a large string telephone for preschool shows about sound & vibrations. Perhaps as large as two 5 gallon buckets but could be paint can size. I'd like to incorporate it somehow into a magic routine and looking for ideas to accomplish this. The phone doesn't have to be the magic, it could be used to make the magic happen or as a comedy bit during the routine.

Hi Wes:

I was thinking the same thing about a month ago as well. What I came up with was that the rope between cans could be supported on a stand. This could let you do a cut and restored rope. Also, there was a magic trick sold using a can which caused the can to have spots appear or disappear. The joke could be that someone has measles (perhaps a spotted hank) on one end of the line (hank goes into can) and the other can gets the measles. Could be a reference to kids who have chicken pox not allowed near other kids, although that was not the case when I was young, getting chicken pox early was encouraged.
Wes Holly
View Profile
Special user
Cincinnati, OH, USA
644 Posts

Profile of Wes Holly
Quote:
On Jul 6, 2018, ViolinKing wrote:
I was thinking the same thing about a month ago as well. What I came up with was that the rope between cans could be supported on a stand. This could let you do a cut and restored rope. Also, there was a magic trick sold using a can which caused the can to have spots appear or disappear. The joke could be that someone has measles (perhaps a spotted hank) on one end of the line (hank goes into can) and the other can gets the measles. Could be a reference to kids who have chicken pox not allowed near other kids, although that was not the case when I was young, getting chicken pox early was encouraged.

I like it. Why use a stand when you have 2 volunteers holding the cans? Have them a little closer together so the string hangs a loose and easy to manipulate. I don't know if you can let the volunteers hold the metamorpho cans, but you can play around with the idea and probably come up with something.
Happily Yours,
Wes Holly
www.wesholly.com
Cincinnati, OH, USA
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » String Telephone (5 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL