The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Strolling Classics (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

SamuelJonesMagic
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of SamuelJonesMagic
Hello,
I've been ito magic for a while now, I'm 16 and am starting to to think about developing a more commercial act so I can maybe eventually make money out of doing magic.
I'm interested in doing some walkaround magic and taking the advice of learning the classics, what practical, classic walkaround effects do you think I should look into?

Thanks, from Sam Smile
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
Hi Sam

There's a huge amount out there, but in terms of practical classics (for performing for pay), you may want to consider effects that are modular, don't need a table, good for pocket space, are not too hard and reset instantly/easily.

A few suggestions -
Cards:
Transposition effects (in the hands is great).
Triumph
Card(s) to pocket
Card to impossible location (e.g. wallet, mint tin, envelope etc.)
Chicago opener/red hot mama etc. (gaff needed)
Color changing deck (gaff needed)
Stand up monte (packet trick)

Coins:
One coin routine
Coins across (gaffed of ungaffed)
Coin bend or transposition

Other:
Sponge balls/bunnies
Rope (professors nightmare, Sands, Sanders fibre optics)
Ring/coin to impossible location (e.g. Nest of wallets)
Ninja rings/Ninja+
Ring & string

Sources:
Paul Green in the Trenches DVD
Magic menu
David Stone (DVDs or book)
RSVP Magic DVDs (Lee Smith, Gary Jones, Chris Congreave, Mark James etc..)
Etienne Pradier (DVDs or books)
Live lectures (downloads e.g. Penguin) David Williamson, Michael Eaton, Mark James, Pop Haydn, Sankey, John Guastaferro...

All of the above is the tip of the iceberg, but should meet your needs.

Its also worth considering the actual art of performing, so consider sources such as Scripting Magic, Strong Magic, Designing Miracles, Tom Stone, Garrett Thomas etc. The business side of magic is also a factor, so things like The Approach (Jamie D Grant), The Real Secrets of Close Up Magic (David Stone) and Kostya Kimlet's live lecture are worth a look.

Good luck
Charlie
Churken2
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of Churken2
Great advice from puggo!

I know you asked about effects, but really look at his first line.

One of the first things I learned when starting out was the lack of table space when performing walk around magic. Rarely do you have space for a tabled ribbon spread, and forget about a close up mat. Pick routines that will allow you to focus on the connection with the audience. Connection and being in the moment is the most important thing in great magic.

You will be interrupted often, prepare for this.

Realize that you have but a few moments between groups so instant reset is vital and great pocket management will keep you looking professional. Also, don't overload on tricks...You don't need to bring everything you've ever learned...a few really strong ones will go a long way.

Back to effects, my advice is to go with what you already perform and get good reactions from. There is no need to learn a ton of new material, just hone what you already love and then slowly add or replace with effects you know you can engage with.
Chamberlain
View Profile
Special user
629 Posts

Profile of Chamberlain
These are my favourite effects that I perform all the time at paying gigs (weddings/parties/corporate events), most of them can be performed strolling without requiring a table (I've * the ones that I normally only take if table hopping)

Props
-Animental*
-Assertive Positive Negative
-Chop Cup/Jiggernaut*
-Crazy Mans Handcuffs
-Extreme Burn
-iCalc (Add a number with iphone calculator)
-Invisible Touch
-Shape of Things to Come*
-Shell Coins Across
-Sponge Bunnies

Cards
-Ambitious Card
-Back in Time
-Be Honest, What is It?
-Biddle Trick
-Chicago Surprise
-Diminishing? Not Likely!
-Multiple Selection
-That's It
-Torn and Restored Transpo
-Twisting the Aces > Daleys Last Trick

Card Gaffs
-3 1/2 Clubs
-Bigger Finish
-Cardtoon
-Color Monte
-Invisible Deck
-Kundalini Rising*
-Mental Photography Deck
-Phil Deck
-Remarkable
-Spin Doctor
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1338 Posts

Profile of imgic
Watch David Williamson’s Penguin Lecture. Some great routines, but even better insight on performing.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hello Sam!

Wonderful! You have matured considerably since your post of several years ago, when you "were somewhat tired of, and bored by practice!" I PMd you then, but, you were unable to read what I wrote.

I'll PM you again, with a few suggestions! I will need you to tell me a bit more about yourself, so that I can better advise you. For example, I need to know what books you have read, what your skills are, and, what your current experiences, performing are. Think about those "things", and, I'll try to PM you, ASAP.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Sam,

Recommend you spend some time around performing skills, not just the tricks. Some resources you might consider:

- The Approach, Jamie D Grant. Takes you from creating your set list to working regularly as a close up performer.
- Suzanne's Castle DVD (forget the name). Suzanne walks through her Magic Castle show and discusses what works and why. Also how she handles audience
- Maximum Entertainment, Ken Weber. How to take your show to the next level. Focused on stage work, but the concepts apply to all emtertainment environments.
- Dan Tong DVD set (title is something like, "Finally after 50 years ..." ). This is Dan's strolling material, so you will get some good routines here. More importantly, he talks about when he performs specific tricks and why. A good cross between a trick DVD and a performance DVD.

Some quick thoughts. I'm sure you will get more excellent recommendations. Just remember that as a professional magician, you are an entertainer first, so don't neglect general entertainment skills.

Hudson
SamuelJonesMagic
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of SamuelJonesMagic
Dick,
Hello again Smile
For books I've read, I read mainly theory as that interests me most, Eugene Burger, Jeff McBride, Devant, Dariel Fitkee, Henning Nelms, Tommy wonder all these guy's books I love, for trick books I've read most of Tarbell, Learn Magic by Henry Hay, Modern Magic Manual and Routined Manipulation. I've amassed quite a collection of magic books but I tend to find trick heavy ones tedious to go through, using them just mainly as reference sources.

My skills aren't bad if I say so myself Smile I'm pretty good at the essential card moves (pass, double lift, pinkie count, false shuffles, top change etc) same with coins.

I perform mainly to family and freinds and anyone who asks, my first what I would consider "real" gig is tommorow at a performing arts festival, they just asked me to do some strolling card magic so wish me luck Smile

Also thanks to everyone who has given suggestions it's really appreciated and is definitely giving me things to look into!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
You have been reading the "right" books! --And, the books recommended by those above, are good, too.

For tomorrow, do "stuff" that you have been doing! I would suggest 3-5 tricks that you are very familiar with. Since you are strolling, you shouldn't need more than that.

If you're outside in the sun, STAY HYDRATED!!! Dress appropriately for SUN, HUMIDITY, etc.

When you finish, make notes on how the "day" went, and, how the tricks played.

We can then do a "post mortem".

Break a leg!!!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
So! How did it go?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Strolling Classics (10 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL