The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Are we living inside of a simulation? (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
How do you prefer to phrase;
What you directly sense of the world,
What you construct as a rule about the world (which you could share with others) and
What you imagine others could have in their sense of the world?
no beliefs instilled, installed or dispelled.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On Aug 2, 2018, Mr Salk wrote:
A belief system. Nothing wrong with The Matrix as a thought experiment. Attempting to actually escape from it is dangerous.

Not share or construct, but escape? The Matrix movies have that hopeful but not directly positive dialogue between Architect and Oracle.
Quote:
Oracle: What about the others?
Architect: What others?
Oracle: The ones that want out.
Architect: Obviously, they will be freed.
...someday? I believe we can do better than pretty imaginary sunrises and "someday".
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Jul 24, 2018, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 24, 2018, stoneunhinged wrote:
...Think of it as some kind of debugging program being run by an extremely sophisticated programmer...

In the language of folks who talk about computers: What if it's time to apply updates to the operating system? Is the anti-virus/anti-malware software up to date? When was the last scan? And what to do with any items that scan turns up? Quarantine? Delete**?

There were some Twilight Zone type show episodes where people wake up to a world that's been updated somehow.

[/quote]

I remember a short story concerning a guy who worked for the Atomic Energy Commission (the story was written, and set in the 50's). One day, none of the isotopes are radioactive anymore. After a few experiments, the other people in the office start asking him what "isotopes" are and why this guy is getting so upset about them. Even the initial of the agency (AEC) now means something else.

Turns out an extraterrestrial agency has decided that we were getting too dangerous with our Atomic experiments and needed a "breathing period" of about twenty five years and then, atomic energy will be "discovered" again and hopefully, we'll be a little more careful with it. The reason the guy (and his wife and couple of other people) still know about these things is the aliens have decided that someone will have to have the knowledge to help mankid rediscover atomic energy.

However, the aliens claim that they are NOT God in any selse of the word, and we're left with the impression that they might be cosmic "veterinarians," coming in our Universe (which they call "the Yard," as in "FARM Yard.") to help the lower animals.

Weird story. But it kinda fits your "reboot" idea.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On Aug 2, 2018, ed rhodes wrote:
... fits your "reboot" idea.

How do you describe the difference between experience and description?

I may have blinked - did the universe reboot a moment ago?
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
The original link is no longer valid. For those that are interested, here it is again: (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pznWo8f020I)

Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

B2B Magazine Test!

Best impromptu progressive Ace Assembly ever!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

@ about 24:00 the model offered as virtual - has consequences. Depending on how efficiently one can compute eight dimensional data - you get something which recalls tales of magic. - spells and odd pictures affecting common reality.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Are we living inside of a simulation? (9 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL