The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Quarter Pounder by R. Paul Wilson (51 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8
keilunmagic
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of keilunmagic
I used to perform a routine somewhat similar to this one. I stumbled on the hybrid coin around a year ago and immediately made one gimmick with 5 euro cents (extremely easy to make at home). Then I saw Paul’s performance and immediately bought it. My jaw dropped when I received the package Smile Yet I recommend 100% Paul’s routine and I am glad I bought it, because it’s so much better then what I used to do... The US gimmick stays in my drawer but I am so glad he published the routine and happy that credit’s due to the original creators. For anyone interested, I made myself the gimmick in all the currencies I usually perform (Euro, UK and Haitian Gourdes). It’s not difficult, it only takes one simple and cheap tool plus time and patience.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
For anyone “keeping score” there is a great article in the Feb issue of Genii by Jeff Prace about Steve Dusheck’s “Hybrid Coin Routine” using Quarters (no mention at all of “Quarter Pounder” . Amazingly, it sold for $6.50 originally (in the 80’s). The article does however, like past articles on the effect, teaches you how to make a gimmick on your own.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
But comparing the $6.50 price back then to now is really comparing apples to oranges. Even though it may be the same gimmick, it is being produced by 2 different people.
In the same way I may charge a client $25.00 per hour, you may charge them $100 per hour for the same job.

Having said that, inflation probably accounts for most of the price difference. And if you think prices went up a lot from 1980 to present in the US, you should look at other countries where inflation was many times higher.

Okay, enough economics as much as I love it. Back on topic.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9531 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On Jan 19, 2019, Poof-Daddy wrote:
For anyone “keeping score” there is a great article in the Feb issue of Genii by Jeff Prace about Steve Dusheck’s “Hybrid Coin Routine” using Quarters (no mention at all of “Quarter Pounder” . Amazingly, it sold for $6.50 originally (in the 80’s). The article does however, like past articles on the effect, teaches you how to make a gimmick on your own.

Y’know, you can’t make people do the right thing, you can only enlighten the way and hope they do. And hope others see better along their way in this stuff. 🤔 Has anyone noticed the better crediting from R. Paul Wilson promised on this? Even a follow-up of better acknowledgment here from the current makers/sellers would be welcomed.

Anyway, thanks PD, I’m glad this was covered in a larger way with spotlight placed more appropriately on the creator, Steve Dusheck. What’s old is new again primarily because it was such a good idea in the first place some 30 years ago by this genius of a magic creator & magician. I’m glad R. Paul Wilson’s “Quarter Pounder” came out and that people find it so interesting l because it just continues to prove the amazing abilities of Dusheck are lasting ones, that should be respected then & now. This new article in Genii clearly speaks to that and gives credit where it’s due, and allows your better angels as to “Quarter Pounder” to do as well in this New Year of “Magicians Helping Magicians.”

Thanks again PD for keeping your eyes on the ball, your thoughtfulness and great follow-thru here. And though Dusheck is not in a good way now, I’m sure he appreciates your helping people to better remember...I know I sure do. 😊👍🏽
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Jan 19, 2019, videoman wrote:
But comparing the $6.50 price back then to now is really comparing apples to oranges.

I was actually just amazed it was so cheap in the 80's. IIRC, coin gimmicks were not cheap then either. Of course it probably only came with a typed sheet of instructions and not even a trailer to let you see what the effect looked like unless the guy at the shop could demo it.

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Christian Rey
View Profile
Regular user
Magician'y toast...to my
135 Posts

Profile of Christian Rey
I'm a big fan of RPW. I've been performing his, "Crowded Coins" from his DVD Knock Em' Dead that came out eons ago. Its because of that effect I was able to become a member at the Magic Castle. I'm very intrigued by this latest effect from RPW. I was lucky to meet him at the Magic Apple in Studio City once or twice. A pleasure to converse magic with. I'll be looking into picking up this effect for sure! Smile
My first name rhymes with Magician
Christian Rey
View Profile
Regular user
Magician'y toast...to my
135 Posts

Profile of Christian Rey
Just picked up my copy of QP! I'll be posting my review ASAP! Smile
My first name rhymes with Magician
paranormal
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of paranormal
They have a UK one now but looks like its out of stock

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/11667
MrWizard
View Profile
Inner circle
Conjured The Illusion Of
1039 Posts

Profile of MrWizard
It says UK one is in stock now. Smile

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/11667
It's An Illusion Unless I Can't Fix It Then It's A Reality.
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Quote:
On Oct 29, 2018, tbaronio wrote:
The Dusheck coin trick using this gimmick is called "Hybrid Coin" and can be found in his book "Dusheck's Coin Magic" published in 1992 by the American Magic Company. Smile

As seen here- https://www.martinsmagic.com/allmagic/bo......dusheck/
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7530 Posts

Profile of RNK
Love this effect. Only thing is that your audience has to be pretty close to see the magic happening. Not really meant for a large group where your standing more than 3ft away from them.
Check out Bafflingbob.com
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Dec 5, 2018, ted french wrote:
Hey Poof, we know about Steve's effect and we are adding a new video from Paul that credits Steve.

A little over 3 years Plus Steve's passing and yet, still no added credit that I have seen.

Smile Smile
Magic KL
View Profile
Inner circle
2571 Posts

Profile of Magic KL
If anyone wants this, it is buy 1 get 1 free right now.

https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/10761
MonsterMagic
View Profile
Special user
517 Posts

Profile of MonsterMagic
Sadly Penguin Magic have failed to correct their mistake!

Years later, the ad copy still insists it is an original gimmick and effect and the tutorial gives no crediting. Amending this is the least they could do.

I bought this into my shop unaware that it was a copy of Steve's trick otherwise I would have stayed clear. I'm now not sure what to do with my stock of it (answers on a postcard)

As Steve Dushecks Hybrid Coin is still a marketed item I don't believe Penguin Magic or R. Paul Wilson have any right to be selling it, I'm shocked they are putting money before morals.

The original can be found here:
https://airshipmagic.com/store/en/home/3......oin.html
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Thank You for that info. On Airship Magic's site it is good to know it is also available in half dollar size.
On the previous page of this thread, Ted French mentions that Paul added an acknowledgement to Steve.
I am sorry to hear about all that inventory you now have. I hope you get something worked out.
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
On Dec 2, 2023, MonsterMagic wrote:
Sadly Penguin Magic have failed to correct their mistake!

Years later, the ad copy still insists it is an original gimmick and effect and the tutorial gives no crediting. Amending this is the least they could do.

I bought this into my shop unaware that it was a copy of Steve's trick otherwise I would have stayed clear. I'm now not sure what to do with my stock of it (answers on a postcard)

As Steve Dushecks Hybrid Coin is still a marketed item I don't believe Penguin Magic or R. Paul Wilson have any right to be selling it, I'm shocked they are putting money before morals.

The original can be found here:
https://airshipmagic.com/store/en/home/3......oin.html

How many units do you have? I could buy them for my brother and he'll just use the gimmick in Steve's packaging. At least you have the ethics to pull it. That is more than I can say for other dealers of Steve's effects. We keep hearing, "Well Murphys, Penguin sell it, I can't stop it from being advertised in my store." That is complete hogwash.
Licensed Steve Dusheck Manufacturer and distributor visit www.airshipmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Quarter Pounder by R. Paul Wilson (51 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL