The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Chapstick thru bill. (23 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Aug 18, 2018, pegasus wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 17, 2018, kissdadookie wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 17, 2018, pegasus wrote:
This blows the pencil / pen method clean out of the water. Can’t wait to get this.

Different effects. This is a visible melt through being the effect whilst the pen/pencil through bill is a tear restoration.

Oh jeez I give up. Thanks RNK.

You said pen/pencil. Only Misled has a melt through so since you brought up both pen and pencil, it is a safe assumption that you were speaking of just the main effect of pen through bills, the tear restoration.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Watched the short video from magic live, meh.

I'm not a fan of the slide removal. With a pen, you can get away with it using a crease in bill, but sliding a wide chapstick tube through a bill doesn't look believable even at first. The bill is obviously fine and it was never believably penetrated in the first place, so all the heat goes sharp and direct to the chapstick, which would seem to be a problem to me, because the chapstick needs to immediately be hidden under the bill and can't be inspected straight away.

With an effect such as Doug Edwards "Wonder Pen-a-tration", the bill is believably punctured/penetrated. I also know this because I always held the pen longways directly in front of the spectator and pulled it straight out. After the removal and while holding the pen and bill right in front of the spectator, they always went for the bill to look for the hole. Cap comes off, pen goes on the table (if available) and you have a miracle with no running while being directly chased.

The penetration phase is also much more visible and believable, as the pen appears to be poked straight into the bill with force.

This effect seems a good option but it's not an improvement in my eyes.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7527 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Aug 18, 2018, Kaliix wrote:
Watched the short video from magic live, meh.

I'm not a fan of the slide removal. With a pen, you can get away with it using a crease in bill, but sliding a wide chapstick tube through a bill doesn't look believable even at first. The bill is obviously fine and it was never believably penetrated in the first place, so all the heat goes sharp and direct to the chapstick, which would seem to be a problem to me, because the chapstick needs to immediately be hidden under the bill and can't be inspected straight away.

With an effect such as Doug Edwards "Wonder Pen-a-tration", the bill is believably punctured/penetrated. I also know this because I always held the pen longways directly in front of the spectator and pulled it straight out. After the removal and while holding the pen and bill right in front of the spectator, they always went for the bill to look for the hole. Cap comes off, pen goes on the table (if available) and you have a miracle with no running while being directly chased.

The penetration phase is also much more visible and believable, as the pen appears to be poked straight into the bill with force.

This effect seems a good option but it's not an improvement in my eyes.

From the demo it looks like the Chapstick tube comes straight back out of the bill and then all you are left to do is simply Palm the other piece, not a big deal. Again if you're looking for a restoration effect, obviously this is not it. If you are looking through a melt through effect I think this looks awesome.

I do not believe that this effect is meant to build off of other restoration effects since it is a totally different effect.
Check out Bafflingbob.com
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Kaliix is thinking like a magician. Too bad.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Perhaps, but then maybe you're not thinking enough like one, though I can't tell since you didn't include any reasoning in your response. Too bad...
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1262 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
Kaliix, you're confused.

When someone pushes a silk through a mirror do you say "This doesn't look realistic. You can't stab a silk through a mirror."

It's true that a chapstick can't poke a hole in a bill. THAT IS THE POINT OF THE TRICK.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Like I said, he’s thinking like a magician.
CoffeeWithMagic
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of CoffeeWithMagic
Quote:
On Aug 18, 2018, Magicsquared wrote:
Kaliix, you're confused.

When someone pushes a silk through a mirror do you say "This doesn't look realistic. You can't stab a silk through a mirror."

It's true that a chapstick can't poke a hole in a bill. THAT IS THE POINT OF THE TRICK.

I watched the video, and have read a lot of the comments here, I think patter solves this very easily imo.

Is it a different/odd(er) penetration of a bill? Sure.
But, I carry chapstick with me often in the winter months, so that's a plus for me.
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
If I could truly penetrate a chapstick through a note I certainly would not be quickly flashing it and then abruptly sliding it through the paper. I would know that such a feat is astonishing and my motions would be slower and more fluid. At least slide the stick to another position on the note and show it in a new place.

IMHO Sharpie thru Card looks more impossible.
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7527 Posts

Profile of RNK
I agree that the Sharpie through card looks nicer but the moment the Chapstick is removed from the bill is very impressive as well.
Check out Bafflingbob.com
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
The penetration isn't really an issue. A pen through vs. chapstick through is obviously going to look different. I prefer the pen but the chapstick penetration looks magical and is as good as it is going to get.

My main issue is the slide removal and immediate hiding of the chapstick to remove the gimmick. The slide screams magnet to anyone who has played with magnets, particularly strong ones where you can make other magnets move through solid objects. A straight pull out, like I can do with my Wonder Pen, doesn't point straight to the method like a slide out does. This in my opinion makes the pen removal better and the slide removal weaker.

With the chapstick presentation, since the penetration isn't real world believable, it becomes part of the magic effect straight away. The chapstick is now the magic in the presentation. That isn't a problem, per se, but it does mean that all the scrutiny and focus is placed on that chapstick tube from the beginning. I believe the weakness of the effect comes from the ending where you have put the focus specifically on the chapstick, now slide it to the edge (I already discussed my issue with that) and remove it, only to have to hide it under the card to do the dirty work. Unfortunately, there is no reason to be suspicious of the card and the spectators natural inclination and focus at the end will be on the chapstick, which must be hidden and manipulated at the most inopportune time.

If that is thinking like a magician, then I am proudly guilty as charged.

Quote:
On Aug 18, 2018, Magicsquared wrote:
Kaliix, you're confused.

~Daniel J. Boorstin
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Chapstick thru bill. (23 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL