The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Looking for thumb tie escape information (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

karvis
View Profile
Regular user
spain
141 Posts

Profile of karvis
Hi,
I am totaly new in escapes, and for a new trick I am developing, I need some information about it. could you tell me books, ebooks, etc where I can learn about methods?
thanks a lot
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On Aug 25, 2018, karvis wrote:

for a new trick I am developing, I need some information about it.

Erm, there seems to be some irony there? Do I mean irony? You are developing a new trick but need information about it? How could we help you with the new trick that you are developing?

Thumb ties - I am pretty sure that if you look through the posts in the section you will find the thread already.

Just to get you started:

Black Tie Kenton Knepper
Poor Boy Zip Tier - could be applied to thumbs rather than wrists.
Chapter in Micky Hades' New Expanded Encyclopedia of escapes
Chapters in Encyclopedia or escapes 2 by McLaury
The Art of Escape Vol 7 The Thumb Tie by John Novak
I think there is some in 33 rope ties and chain escapes by Burling Hull - but can't seem to find my copy to check.

I am sure there are more I just can't think of them off the top of my head.

Oh Yes, Wolflock has a great treatise on ties that include the thumbs.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Oh and I missed out the stuff on Thumb Cuffs. But there are sections in books about the use of thunb cuffs too. Thumb cuffs seem to be readuly available in the UK at army surplus stores.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Thumb Tie Gems. Tarbell.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
The only thing that hasn't been mentioned, is that the THUMB TIE is not "TECHNICALLY", an ESCAPE.

The thumbs are apparently securely tied, and, various PENETRATIONS of rings etc. on to the arms, ETC. are the EFFECT!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
The late Jay Marshall's "Jaspernese" Thumb Tie, gets my vote for simplicity, and effectiveness, although the late Harry Willard (whom I never had the opportunity to see) was probably THE GREAT MASTER of the Thumb Tie.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
It depends on how you look at it. There's certainly a difference between a spirit tie (where one does not overtly escape) and an escape. Most thumb tie material can be handled either way. Some of the earliest recorded escapes were thumb ties.

I prefer to think of both as "mystery arts".
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
There are several versions of the thumb tie - straight escape, a penetration effect or a comedy in again out again effect. I use the Jim Ryan tie for the later, using a pipe cleaner. For a penetration effect, Jeff Hobson's tie and the Jaspernese tie are both excellent.
valery giussman
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of valery giussman
Saludos desde españa.han hablado ustedes de unos libros,tengo el problema del idioma,me gustaria poder comprarlos,pero en formato digital,para asi yo traducirlos.gracias

enciclopedia o escapes 2 de McLaury
The Art of Escape Vol 7 The Thumb Tie de John Novak
DrVG
View Profile
Loyal user
268 Posts

Profile of DrVG
Hi lads, I was wondering if the method in Knepper Black tie (which I own) is similar to Joe Monti original thumbtie (which I may be interested in) ?
thanks
Moxahalla
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
751 Posts

Profile of Moxahalla
"Sixteen Thumb Tie Gems" - Max Andrews (booklet)
MagicByVincent
View Profile
Veteran user
Staten Island, New York
329 Posts

Profile of MagicByVincent
Quote:
On Oct 18, 2018, Alan Munro wrote:
There are several versions of the thumb tie - straight escape, a penetration effect or a comedy in again out again effect. I use the Jim Ryan tie for the later, using a pipe cleaner. For a penetration effect, Jeff Hobson's tie and the Jaspernese tie are both excellent.

Wondering if anyone can tell me where I can learn the Jim Ryan tie mentioned above (I’d like to do a comedy in and out routine and a pipe cleaner sounds like it would fit right in) thanks
Smile Smile Smile Magic is all around us we just have to be willing to see it.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On Oct 20, 2023, MagicByVincent wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 18, 2018, Alan Munro wrote:

Wondering if anyone can tell me where I can learn the Jim Ryan tie mentioned above (I’d like to do a comedy in and out routine and a pipe cleaner sounds like it would fit right in) thanks

I think there may be a DVD of his material - maybe L&L Publishing. You may find an old copy of Jim Ryan's lecture notes, which is how I learned it. Tom Dobrowolski was a student of Jim Ryan, so he may have a write-up of it. PM me if you'd like the scoop on it. Phil Willmarth was the publisher of the notes and he assured me that the tie was very old and in the public domain.
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1339 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
The thumb tie has survived and evolved through the years.
Utilising different methods, tapes, string, pipe cleaner, zip ties, etc.

The talented, articulate stage performer truly makes this exceptional entertainment.
Long live the classics.

WulfieSmith
ajb6864
View Profile
Special user
Greece
637 Posts

Profile of ajb6864
I remember Leslie Melville doing a very entertaining thumb tie routine a few years ago.

The thumb tie is definitely one for the 'performer' though, because without strong presentation it doesn't play well.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Looking for thumb tie escape information (5 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL