The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Spirit Medium Books (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
Arthur Ford was never validated. From Wikipedia, Following her husband's death in 1926, Bess Houdini began attending seances conducted by Ford. Author Andrew Lycett suggests that Arthur Conan Doyle encouraged a "vulnerable" Bess to believe Ford's claims that he could contact the dead in order "to win an important victory for Spiritualism".[5] In 1928, Ford claimed he was able to contact Harry Houdini's deceased mother via his spirit guide "Fletcher." A year later, he claimed to contact the deceased Houdini himself and relay the full text of a secret message Houdini proposed to convey to Bess after his death. Bess initially endorsed Ford's claims, but later repudiated them.[6] Authors William Kalush and Larry Sloman speculate that Bess Houdini was initially supportive of Ford's claims due to the effects of alcoholism, and that she had romantic feelings for Ford. Others such as Milbourne Christopher speculate that the text of the message used a private code between Houdini and his wife that could have easily been broken by Ford or his associates using a number of existing clues.

The magician Bob Couttie has noted that others had known the message so it was not secure.[10] According to skeptical investigator Gordon Stein the "secret" code had actually been previously published in a book on page 105 of Harold Kellock's biography Houdini: His Life Story and it was likely Ford had read it. It was alleged by witnesses that Ford told the journalist Rea Jaure at her apartment that Bess had given him the code.[11] However, Ford denied the allegation and stated that he had been "impersonated" at Rea Jaure's apartment by a paid imposter.

But even if we were to accept Arthur Ford as a personified medium able to contact spirits, why hasn't there been any legitimately testable mediums since his death in 1971. Would in not be reasonable to assume that he would have made himself available for "changeling" all these many years? Also why no answer to my question as to , if the dear departed had messeges for us from the great beyond, why not communicate with us directly?

Having said all this it may seem strange that I would believe in the birth of my God from a virgin mother who died but was reborn. Yes I agree not very logical but He's gotten me through many a time when I should have died and it's just my belief. It's doesn't have to be logical. Of course one could argue that the "spiritualist movement" could claim the same or could they? I've never heard a medium say that the spirits saved them from death.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1740 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
Quote:
On Sep 26, 2018, Senor Fabuloso wrote:

But even if we were to accept Arthur Ford as a personified medium able to contact spirits, why hasn't there been any legitimately testable mediums since his death in 1971.

Many mediums have been tested since 1971 and are still being tested, often successfully. Take a look here, for example http://www.windbridge.org/
and here https://psi-encyclopedia.spr.ac.uk/artic......research

Barry
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Given what we know about how the so called "scientific community" and how it can be fooled (see Banacheck for examples) I don't put much credence in these so called validations. You and others, still haven't answer the basic question of why if contact is possible, would not those who passed contact those they want to speak to, directly WITHOUT a so called medium?

Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Sep 26, 2018, Senor Fabuloso wrote:
Arthur Ford was never validated. From Wikipedia, Following her husband's death in 1926, Bess Houdini began attending seances conducted by Ford. Author Andrew Lycett suggests that Arthur Conan Doyle encouraged a "vulnerable" Bess to believe Ford's claims that he could contact the dead in order "to win an important victory for Spiritualism".[5] In 1928, Ford claimed he was able to contact Harry Houdini's deceased mother via his spirit guide "Fletcher." A year later, he claimed to contact the deceased Houdini himself and relay the full text of a secret message Houdini proposed to convey to Bess after his death. Bess initially endorsed Ford's claims, but later repudiated them.[6] Authors William Kalush and Larry Sloman speculate that Bess Houdini was initially supportive of Ford's claims due to the effects of alcoholism, and that she had romantic feelings for Ford. Others such as Milbourne Christopher speculate that the text of the message used a private code between Houdini and his wife that could have easily been broken by Ford or his associates using a number of existing clues.

The magician Bob Couttie has noted that others had known the message so it was not secure.[10] According to skeptical investigator Gordon Stein the "secret" code had actually been previously published in a book on page 105 of Harold Kellock's biography Houdini: His Life Story and it was likely Ford had read it. It was alleged by witnesses that Ford told the journalist Rea Jaure at her apartment that Bess had given him the code.[11] However, Ford denied the allegation and stated that he had been "impersonated" at Rea Jaure's apartment by a paid imposter.

But even if we were to accept Arthur Ford as a personified medium able to contact spirits, why hasn't there been any legitimately testable mediums since his death in 1971. Would in not be reasonable to assume that he would have made himself available for "changeling" all these many years? Also why no answer to my question as to , if the dear departed had messeges for us from the great beyond, why not communicate with us directly?

Having said all this it may seem strange that I would believe in the birth of my God from a virgin mother who died but was reborn. Yes I agree not very logical but He's gotten me through many a time when I should have died and it's just my belief. It's doesn't have to be logical. Of course one could argue that the "spiritualist movement" could claim the same or could they? I've never heard a medium say that the spirits saved them from death.

There are so many things wrong with your statements I really don't know where to begin .. So much low hanging fruit .... How many things do you want me to prove false before you'll take an honest look at the facts? Smile

How about I give you the first one for free .. There is NO PROOF that Bess attended ANY SEANCES involving Arthur Ford except the one where he revealed the HOUDINI CODE in it's entirety .. So the first sentence is totally untrue!!!!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Slim, the first part of my post is from Wikipedia. If you have issue with it? Your free to go and change it. How about you answer the main question, I keep posting instead?

mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1740 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
Quote:
On Sep 27, 2018, Senor Fabuloso wrote:
Given what we know about how the so called "scientific community" and how it can be fooled (see Banacheck for examples) I don't put much credence in these so called validations. You and others, still haven't answer the basic question of why if contact is possible, would not those who passed contact those they want to speak to, directly WITHOUT a so called medium?

Magicians have been involved with investigating mediums as well as "the scientific community" (and don't use "so-called" - several SPR presidents were Nobel prizewinners).

There's a very simple answer to your very simple question. Any transmitter needs a receiver to send information.
Not everyone is "sensitive" enough to be able to receive communications without the use of the known senses, including all forms of ESP and possible messages from those on the other side (I say possible because ESP can never be entirely excluded). I can't do it, but I've personally known others who can.
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Quote:
On Sep 28, 2018, mindmagic wrote:
There's a very simple answer to your very simple question. Any transmitter needs a receiver to send information.
Not everyone is "sensitive" enough to be able to receive communications without the use of the known senses, including all forms of ESP and possible messages from those on the other side (I say possible because ESP can never be entirely excluded). I can't do it, but I've personally known others who can.

Your not answering the main point of the question which is that the sender and receivers being family or friends wouldn't the spirits, find a way? I'm just not buying the BS. It's like when the psychics say "the stars aren't in alignment for me to receive your thoughts". Really? LOL

Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Sep 28, 2018, Senor Fabuloso wrote:
Slim, the first part of my post is from Wikipedia. If you have issue with it? Your free to go and change it. How about you answer the main question, I keep posting instead?

You are the one trying to fool people with Wikipedia ... Not me .. I stick to facts. There is no proof in the Wiki propaganda... Smile
What really kills me is that magicians seem to always KNOW the powers of the Spirits .. But in reality, they have no clue as to how the Paranormal Entities react with one another. Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

So still no answer to the body of my question Slim? OK no problem. I always suspected that it was all BS. Thanks for validating that for me Smile

Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Senor, I’m not taking a side or making an argument either way right now. But you are making it clear that you have a strong belief that mediumship is false. You are essentially saying “prove to me what cannot be proven and I won’t accept any of your evidence as meaningful.” That’s your right. But don’t imply that you are open minded about it. Is it really worth the argument?

Patrick
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Your right Patrick. I would need verifiable proof of mediums claims to contact the dear departed. I KNOW that spirits exist and that haunting can possess people, places and things but many have seen and experience spirits WITHOUT the help of a so called medium. That's my only point in this thread. That a medium in not needed for contact.

Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Is it really worth fighting about it, though?

Patrick
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Sep 29, 2018, Senor Fabuloso wrote:
Your right Patrick. I would need verifiable proof of mediums claims to contact the dear departed. I KNOW that spirits exist and that haunting can possess people, places and things but many have seen and experience spirits WITHOUT the help of a so called medium. That's my only point in this thread. That a medium in not needed for contact.

If you believe spirits exist than ANY WAY they contact us would be a MEDIUM of contact .. Until they invent a Necrophone, that's the only way...
Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Spirit Medium Books (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL