The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Twenty one card trick (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mysticmelville
View Profile
New user
Scotland
51 Posts

Profile of mysticmelville
I am a semi pro magician who tutors students in Drawing and Painting and confidence building. I have found through working with a young student (who has very poor digital dexterity) that the Twenty One card trick has been of great help. This student loves magic as well as art. He has though, very low self esteem. Through him learning this trick (by getting the spectator to follow instructions as its self working) he is now learning to present himself as confident. He is realising that he is witty and that he interacts well with spectators. Also any understanding by the spectator of how the trick works is "thrown off track" because they have to listen to this young student offering instructions.
Great proof that a lot of good magic is in the presentation.
marc_carrion
View Profile
Special user
638 Posts

Profile of marc_carrion
Dani DaOrtiz has a great presentation for the 21 card trick that does not depend on the secret for the 21 card trick. It uses a totally different principle. Anyone that knows the original will be totally fooled.
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1946 Posts

Profile of Claudio
Interesting post, mysticmelville. Your student might be able to add a modicum of sleight of hand and perform some Marlo's handlings (shown here by Bill Malone). Easy and really fooling!

depeka
View Profile
New user
Germany, Bielefeld
51 Posts

Profile of depeka
@Marc
Do you know how the effect from DaOrtiz is called?
marc_carrion
View Profile
Special user
638 Posts

Profile of marc_carrion
It's called "The 21 Card trick"

It's in the semiautomatic series:
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/8376

Marc
mysticmelville
View Profile
New user
Scotland
51 Posts

Thanks Claudio,
very much appreciate you mentioning the above. I can see why this may be a helpful approach.

best, Dean
Ferry Gerats
View Profile
Regular user
the Netherlands
190 Posts

Profile of Ferry Gerats
For another interesting and above all entertaining version of the 21-card-trick go to: https://www.lybrary.com/scripted-4-the-2......201.html It is free of charge!
mysticmelville
View Profile
New user
Scotland
51 Posts

Thanks for the suggestion. Going to be working with the student today. Great to have a few new avenues to follow.
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1475 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
There is a version of the 21 Card Trick in Asymptotes that most magicians can’t (usually) tell is a version of the 21 Card Trick. It’s going to be republished again with some refinements from some magicians you definitely know. 🙂
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
My favourite can be found in David Solomon’s new book Solomon’s Secrets.
ejohn
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta
723 Posts

Profile of ejohn
Mike Powers published a couple of interesting versions in the Linking Ring in 2012, I believe. Maybe Mike can give us the exact references.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Nov 16, 2018, ejohn wrote:
Mike Powers published a couple of interesting versions in the Linking Ring in 2012, I believe. Maybe Mike can give us the exact references.

One of them is in the new Solomon book.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
I've always enjoyed the version taught by Randy Wakeman on his Lake Tahoe Bar magic set.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Here is a variation from my book "BaseMental"

After the "two" deal-outs into three piles, you spell "this is the card you picked" eliminating one cared each time. The last remaining card is their choice.

The original Effect required three (3) boring dealing out into three piles. You short cut that by having them select a card from one of three pre-dealt piles. Naturally, you place that pile in the middle of the others. Repeat, but you only need two deals. The rest is automatic – the location of the card as the fourth in the stack makes it work. Spell “this” by transferring a card from the top of the stack to the bottom (face down) and place one card on the table while saying “THIS.” Continue the Spelling until “PICKED” which place the penultimate card on the table. Then face the Chosen Card.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
ejohn
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta
723 Posts

Profile of ejohn
Mike Powers’ better (always works), single deal version is 21AGAIN in the February 2009 issue of The Linking Ring, page 89.
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2986 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
Hi ejohn - I think 21 Again is the best of the versions I've come up with. I also taught it in my Penguin Lecture a couple of years ago. It really looks impossible. Also, there is only one deal-through.

Mike
ejohn
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta
723 Posts

Profile of ejohn
It is excellent. Thank you, Mike!
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1475 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
Quote:
On Jan 9, 2019, Mike Powers wrote:
Hi ejohn - I think 21 Again is the best of the versions I've come up with. I also taught it in my Penguin Lecture a couple of years ago. It really looks impossible. Also, there is only one deal-through.

Mike

Color me intrigued!
TimothyMa
View Profile
New user
HongKong
41 Posts

Profile of TimothyMa
There is a fine version in 52 Memories.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Twenty one card trick (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL