The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Strip out vs push through (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Okay first off, sorry if this is one of those well worn discussion topics that people are sick of hearing. Seems like it would be, but I didn't see much when searching.

Soooo....

I'm feeling pretty happy with my push through and have thought that the pushing action really sells that the cards go all the way square. Then I watched a Darwin Ortiz lecture where he talked about his strip out and it is very good. I do find it's easier to get a smaller brief with the strip out.

Do you think one is more deceptive? Do you use both depending on the situation?
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
cbharrelson
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of cbharrelson
Well ever since John Scarne demonstrators use the push thru the strike bottom and strike second to show their skill at gambling moves. I used the strip out when I played poker all across texas in fact I always did a strip out shuffle whether the deal was fair or not. I played 47 or 58 days a week for 15 years. No one questioned the shuffle because it was my normal shuffle. I hope this helps.
cbharrelson
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of cbharrelson
Oops! that should have been 4 or 5 days.
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Thank you, good to know. Two questions, if you don't mind. How big a brief do you use and when you do the strip out, which fingers do you use?
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
cbharrelson
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of cbharrelson
I use the little fingers to push in and the third fingers to gauge when to stop. A nice video on youtube to watch is Rod the hop doing a stripout mine is like his. He was a master. He was well known in Vegas and taught many things to Richard Turner and other cardmen.
TH10111
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of TH10111
In the right hands I would say they are pretty much equal.

As cbharrelson alluded to, the strip out is less well known, so may be less likely to be detected.

There is an argument that because the packets are seen passing through each other, the push through square up is more convincing. But I think it's more just down to whose performing the move...

When watching magicians, I find the push through can often be identified by the 'v' shape made by the two halves as they are pushed together.

Whereas, with the strip out, the delicate stripping of the two halves with the thumb and forefinger is something I've seen people do, which telegraphs the fact that they are doing a strip out.

For both moves, not covering the ends of the deck, so daylight can be seen between the cards, is also a major tell.
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Quote:
On Sep 18, 2018, cbharrelson wrote:
I use the little fingers to push in and the third fingers to gauge when to stop. A nice video on youtube to watch is Rod the hop doing a stripout mine is like his. He was a master. He was well known in Vegas and taught many things to Richard Turner and other cardmen.

Is this the video you are talking about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Suw-T-Nngc4

Holy moly!

That looks fantastic.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
cbharrelson
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of cbharrelson
Yes that is it. Rod the Hop was a gambler not a magician. He makes it look like a normal shuffle not fancy to look good.
cbharrelson
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of cbharrelson
That shuffle along with the way Fast Jack lays the crimp with pickup and lay stacking will get the money in poker.
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
I just watched that like 10 times in slow motion, amazing.

He does something interesting with the strip out that I've never seen, cutting small packets from the bottom in the middle of the strip. Very deceptive!
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
JasonEngland
View Profile
V.I.P.
Las Vegas, NV
1729 Posts

Profile of JasonEngland
I filmed that video of Rod. That's my voice telling him to turn the top card face up.

He was like a brother to me. Miss him.

Jason
Eternal damnation awaits anyone who questions God's unconditional love. --Bill Hicks
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Really amazing skills. Are there other videos anywhere? I see a 3 card monte video (Nice fanny pack!) but wondering if there are other ways to see him at work.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
cbharrelson
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of cbharrelson
By the way Jason does a nice push thru and teaches it.
Bobbycash
View Profile
Special user
Australia
694 Posts

Profile of Bobbycash
There is footage around of Rod, some of it I don’t believe was with his permission however you can view road doing the S&F faro stack on Lee Asher and Paul Wilson’s “Hit the Road” DVD which of course he his permission. If you are interested in Rod I recommend reading Paul Chosse’s thread on this site about meeting Rod.
Thomas Gilroy
View Profile
New user
Ireland
70 Posts

Profile of Thomas Gilroy
Quote:
On Sep 20, 2018, JasonEngland wrote:
I filmed that video of Rod. That's my voice telling him to turn the top card face up.

He was like a brother to me. Miss him.

Jason

Hi Jason,

I recently re-watched your Penguin Live Lecture in full. Towards the end of the interview, you mentioned the possibility of returning and sharing some of what you learned from Rod in a future lecture, possibly alongside things you have learned from Martin Nash, Richard Turner and Steve Forte. Your dedication of the lecture to Rod was moving.

I don't know if you have any plans to share these things in another Penguin Live Lecture, or in another video project. The quality of your previous projects and the respect and admiration you have expressed for these men therein leaves me convinced that such a project would result in both an excellent instructional resource, and a heartfelt tribute to your friends and mentors.

I would love to see such a project be realized if it's something you would still be interested in making at some point in the future. If you would prefer not to, that's understandable also.

Thomas.
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Quote:
On Sep 21, 2018, Bobbycash wrote:
If you are interested in Rod I recommend reading Paul Chosse’s thread on this site about meeting Rod.

I found this:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=168

and this:

http://themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic......&forum=2

Is there another one I'm missing?
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
Bobbycash
View Profile
Special user
Australia
694 Posts

Profile of Bobbycash
Those are the ones, Last Laugh. A couple of Rod’s touches also appear in Richard Turner’s Science of Shuffling DVD.
JasonEngland
View Profile
V.I.P.
Las Vegas, NV
1729 Posts

Profile of JasonEngland
Thomas,

I'm not NOT doing another Penguin lecture. In fact, I discussed it with Tim Trono at MAGIC Live just a few months ago. But just haven't found the time up to now. Getting schedules to match up is the hard part.

Jason
Eternal damnation awaits anyone who questions God's unconditional love. --Bill Hicks
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
I for some reason had missed that Jason had done a Penguin lecture, just picked it up. Wow, 5 hours!
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
Thomas Gilroy
View Profile
New user
Ireland
70 Posts

Profile of Thomas Gilroy
Quote:
JasonEngland wrote:
Thomas,

I'm not NOT doing another Penguin lecture. In fact, I discussed it with Tim Trono at MAGIC Live just a few months ago. But just haven't found the time up to now. Getting schedules to match up is the hard part.

Jason

Hi Jason,

In that case, I look forward to your schedules matching up.

Quote:
Last Laugh wrote:
I for some reason had missed that Jason had done a Penguin lecture, just picked it up. Wow, 5 hours!

It really is a great download, excellent value for money. I thoroughly enjoyed the performance and interview sections, and Jason's instruction is excellent as always.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Strip out vs push through (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL