The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Gecko Pro by Jim Rosenbaum (28 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Philippe
View Profile
Special user
776 Posts

Profile of Philippe
Well done JackMagic.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Wizaed Products Reviewed this recently.

Gecko Pro review at timeline 26.24 minutes if you want to jump ahead.

This has a very slick method to obtain the gimmick, according to David, did not mention if that was part of a previous release.
Philippe
View Profile
Special user
776 Posts

Profile of Philippe
Is the Gecko easily transferable from jacket to jacket or is it a pain? Actually, is a jacket necessary or can your outfit be casual?
I’m on the verge of purchasing, just need a nudge.
MurphysNEW
View Profile
Elite user
457 Posts

Profile of MurphysNEW
What is your favorite item to vanish with this?
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
2200 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
Quote:
On Oct 22, 2018, MurphysNEW wrote:
What is your favorite item to vanish with this?

Titana's posts

LOL

Only kidding.
TDJS95
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of TDJS95
Quote:
On Oct 19, 2018, Philippe wrote:
I’m really lost here because I purchased the original and was very disappointed now I’m interested in the Pro version but feel I will be disappointed again, leopard and spots kind of thing.

I promise you, you will be disappointed.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
To the above for postings, as stated this is a pull, therefore, yes you have set it up for your body type and apparel that you wish to wear. If you watch the above review I posted, your questions should be answered by David Penn. If you don't know what a pull is, then ask a knowledgeable magician friend to explain it to you.

The big thing about using any pull is obtaining it easily, and the Gecko seems to have accomplished this with a new method, making it very easy as David Penn explained, and showed the gesture to obtain it. All this does is assist in vanishing a small object. I agree trying larger objects seems unrealistic. I do not own it, but have used many different kinds of pull in the last 62 years I have been performing magic.

That said, all this does is vanish an object. It is up to you where you want to take the effect from there. Vanishing have long been called a bad choice to end a routine or effect on, as it is a shock effect. As mentioned they usually want the item to reappear somewhere.

You might get lucky like me, once I vanished a knife, and an attractive young woman, started to want to know where it vanished to, I did the usually opening the coat, pulling up my sleeves and such. That was not good enough for here, she started to put her hands in my pockets, feel me all over, and pull at my clothing. It was enjoyable until she started getting rough. She actually started to be a little crazy.

As with any pull you will have to spend a few hours working with it, but I don't see that out of order for learning any magic effect. It is not self working or an automatic effect, you have to put the same kind of work and routine handling into this gimmick as with any trick you are trying to learn.

From what was mentioned, that looks like a gimmick that the late great Don Alan devised way back in the 1960's, he would spin a coin on the table, then slap his hand down on the coin. When he lifted his hand, the coin was gone. The problem with it, was you had to palm the gimmick, and it looks like the Gecko eliminated having to palm the gimmick. It looks like it is worth a try, but only for those that want to put time and effort into learning the handling.

As state, this looks like the best method thus far for vanishing a small object.

As for transferring the pull, as with any setup, all cloths are not make exactly the same size or sewing method, so you will have make adjustments. Once you find the proper attachment places for different clothing, just mark the spots or buy several Gecko Pro gimmicks for all your clothing. Remember, you will have to remove the gimmick for laundry of your clothing.

Only you can decide if it is worth the trouble for you use this secret gimmick pull.

You decide, hand remember to have fun.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Just watched the demo video of Propdog earlier in this topic. What is with all the shaking and flailing of the hands and arms. If that is necessary, this is worthless. The smoother this can be performed the better.

I think if you have to do all that shaking, spectators will think there is something wrong with the performer, and walk away because you are scaring them.

The glass vanish was more like how it should be performed, very nice hand action on this, if that is possible to be used as a standard handling.

From the demos it does seem to suggest some form of outer garment is needed.
SmittyWitty
View Profile
Veteran user
Fairhaven, MA
325 Posts

Profile of SmittyWitty
Thanks Bill for your valuable input on this thread. Do you think the Gecko could be used to vanish a silk? I’m familiar with generic pulls but not this particular product. The Pro seems rather expensive if it’s only designed for smaller items.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
SmittyWitty, I do not see how this could be used to vanish a silk. It is for items as used in the demo video.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Oct 26, 2018, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Just watched the demo video of Propdog earlier in this topic. What is with all the shaking and flailing of the hands and arms. If that is necessary, this is worthless. The smoother this can be performed the better.

I think if you have to do all that shaking, spectators will think there is something wrong with the performer, and walk away because you are scaring them.

The glass vanish was more like how it should be performed, very nice hand action on this, if that is possible to be used as a standard handling.

From the demos it does seem to suggest some form of outer garment is needed.

No movements mimicking a seizure is necessary with the Gecko (I've only ever had the original). It's a good pull. There's no way in heck you can vanish anything much larger than a Ericsson T68 (please google this to get an idea of object size) in front of a live audience. I never had the holster that the second version of the Gecko came with but compared to a Raven, the Gecko is easier to get into position. The sound issue I never really had an issue with but it did take a fair amount of adjusting the body hookup to minimize sound (and the body hookup isn't really all that complicated or involved, it's as easy as the Raven IMO). A outer garment is necessary.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Gecko Pro by Jim Rosenbaum (28 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL