The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Fat magicians in tuxedos (19 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1695 Posts

Profile of Futureal
Quote:
On Oct 13, 2018, Mary Mowder wrote:
Future real, tell Lance Burton that he is out of style.

Burton performs on STAGES. Totally different scenario.

He doesn't turn up to a kid's party in someone's back yard in the middle of the afternoon wearing a tux.
jamiedoyle
View Profile
Special user
Lafayette, IN
619 Posts

Profile of jamiedoyle
Quote:

Burton performs on STAGES. Totally different scenario.

He doesn't turn up to a kid's party in someone's back yard in the middle of the afternoon wearing a tux.

Tell you what - give Lance a call and find out IF he were booked for a kid's birthday party in the middle of an afternoon for a legitimate paying gig, what he would wear and let us know. If you're not going to do that, don't be a pretentious know-it-all.

If you're "entertainment", you wear whatever accentuates your style.
Jamie Doyle
International President - Fellowship of Christian Magicians
jamiedoylemagic.com
amazing eric
View Profile
New user
Amazing Eric
43 Posts

Profile of amazing eric
I totally wear a tux and am...not thin. What's more, I am paid to do so. In addition, I use the classics of magic...INCLUDING Fraidy Kat Rabbit. I make my living doing this and am proud of it. Just sayin my two cents.
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
754 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
Way to go Eric!!!!
Redfoot
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of Redfoot
Perhaps Future real believes suspending yourself in a transparent box in Trafalgar Square for forty days without food should be a rite of passage.
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1354 Posts

Profile of danfreed
The only issue I have with people in tux's for kids parties and events is that they would get way too hot for me (and I suppose most people?), I wear a vest often, but even that often gets too hot and I don't wear it in those cases.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I use to wear a suit to my shows for adults and children. I had a potential client ask, when they seen my promo picture, they ask why I was wearing a suit and not a magician's outfit, formal suit with tails.

You see that is the image many clients have in their mind when they think of a magician and what he should look like. Probably because of the comic strip, Mandrake the Magician. Anyway, the client is who hires you, so it they want you to wear tails, then wear tails if you want to get hired and work.

Suits or formal tails look a lot better then Bermuda Shorts, and hairy legs.

If you are going to bill yourself as a magician, then you should look like a magician, and not any guy off the street. It is part of being in character as a magician.

This is in part, why I created my tag line, "Magic In The Modern Manner".

Oh, and I only work in air conditioned homes and building.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
When I was 16, I bought "white tie and tails". I was trying to be suave and debonair! At 16, I wasn't. Heqq, at 87, I still am not "swayve & deboner"!

When I joined the Navy, at 19, an agent told me that, if I could "make 'em laugh", he would get me lots of work. I dumped the tails!

When I "went" full time touring schools, I wore a "sharp" suit. After a few years, I wore a sport coat and slacks with a black shirt.

Southern schools are not always air conditioned! I sometimes worked in a short sleeved polo shirt, and neat Bermuda Shorts In winter, in North Dakota, I wore black turtle necks with a woolen sport coat and slacks Doing three or more a day, there was no time to change to a tuxedo, and the principals were happy with my wardrobe.

When JAY MARSHALL saw my red plaid jacket, he bought one, too!

I never had a desire to work Las Vegas!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Living in Perth Western Australia
1042 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
There's a magician on my FB page called Mark Comley. He works many fairs and wears shorts, colourful shirt and shoes without socks. He does several hundred shows a year. Kind of says it all. Wear what works for you.
Magic guy in Perth Australia
TomB
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan, USA
330 Posts

Profile of TomB
Just curious Futureal, what should a fat magician at a kids party wear?

Is your issue it is cliche or because you do not feel the style is flattering?

I like suspenders on heavier set guys. For some reason, I think it looks better than a belt.

Kevin James is a heavier set magician. He usually wears a suit. Would that be acceptable in your view?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Fat magicians in tuxedos (19 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL