The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What actor/actress? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Gosh, I just found out Jonathan Winters was Papa Smurf. Tracey says not the "original", though. Smile He's up there with maybe 6, regardless: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001258/

Tony Danza 8 https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001103/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Laurie, You are finding lots of wonderful names, but if you re-read my original post, a lot of them aren't really up for the running.

Remember I said Starring roles, as in present in the opening credits. And show that ran at least one season.

That means that Betty White who has had major recurring and guest starring roles on many shows only gets credit for four or five.
Robert Urich also only five or so.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Do you have access to the opening credits and duration of run, cancellations before end of season? I was going to say that's hard criteria to confirm, so I agree on that point. But I've at least posted reference so they can be vetted, and that's why I posted the imdbs- I figured some may see differently and I might be generous in my numbers which is why I've also occasionally used terms such as "about" and "looks like".

If you've got a way to confirm your criteria and that those posted don't measure, I'd like to see it. I'm interested in the information.

Do you consider a certain number of episodes to fulfill 1 season? Far as I've seen from series tv, I think the number of episodes per season can vary. If you'd like to set a number, such as 14, I might concur on that as a minimum.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Or, feel free to throw them all out, and continue with the one you've thought of who comes in at "6". It's your party. Smile
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Quote:
On Oct 24, 2018, magicalaurie wrote:
Do you have access to the opening credits and duration of run, cancellations before end of season? I was going to say that's hard criteria to confirm, so I agree on that point. But I've at least posted reference so they can be vetted, and that's why I posted the imdbs- I figured some may see differently and I might be generous in my numbers which is why I've also occasionally used terms such as "about" and "looks like".

If you've got a way to confirm your criteria and that those posted don't measure, I'd like to see it. I'm interested in the information.

Do you consider a certain number of episodes to fulfill 1 season? Far as I've seen from series tv, I think the number of episodes per season can vary. If you'd like to set a number, such as 14, I might concur on that as a minimum.

These are good questions Laurie. Certainly worth a look.

My access to the opening credits is nothing stronger than Youtube. You can watch the intro to almost any show there. IMDB lists things such as mini-series (which I am not counting) or season 1 which I might. Example... "Tabatha" was such a terrible show that it was pulled mid-season, (Not a full season) and Robert Urich had not found his niche yet. His talent as skill was wasted there. On SWAT he was third or fourth down but did appear in the opening credits. (As a rather humorous aside, when SWAT went into reruns and Robert was now a big name for "Vegas," The opening credits to SWAT were rearranged to start with "Starring Steve Forrest" and follow that with "And Robert Urich."

I think that Hollywood used to call the break-in period for a new show "13 weeks" if it made 13 it was good and less than that was not a season. This is why Tim Conway had a license plate that read "13 weeks."

I appreciate your adding the "vetting" links, and I've used them too.

Wasn't trying to give you a hard time Laurie, just trying to get to a fun piece of trivia.
Magic is like Science,
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I remember something similar with; “The Green Hornet.” The show would open with; “Van Williams,” his credit would fade and; “and Bruce Lee.” They actually edited two episodes together and released them as a film. (I saw it on 42nd Street, that gives you some idea of how well this was treated!) The “Van Williams” credit was still the same, but they superimposed a red rectangle around “Bruce Lee” to make him stand out!

They re-did “Laugh In,” with Robin Williams (pre-Mork, obviously) as a minor cast member. When it was put in syndication, they made the advertising had “starring ROBIN WILLIAMS” in a star off to the side. I think he sued.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Nice post from Ed about Kato. Yes, my understanding is that most fans used to tune in the Hornet series to see Kato rather than the Hornet. I remember going to see Enter the Dragon and had to stand in a very long line outside the theater. The other time I had to wait in a long line was for the movie, Five-Element Ninja. Remember that one, Ed? First came the Kung Fu craze and then came the Ninja craze. lol
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On Oct 24, 2018, Cliffg37 wrote:

Wasn't trying to give you a hard time Laurie, just trying to get to a fun piece of trivia.

I know, and I think it's an interesting topic. Thanks for starting it and sorry if I've been difficult. Smile
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Oct 25, 2018, Orville Smith wrote:
Nice post from Ed about Kato. Yes, my understanding is that most fans used to tune in the Hornet series to see Kato rather than the Hornet. I remember going to see Enter the Dragon and had to stand in a very long line outside the theater. The other time I had to wait in a long line was for the movie, Five-Element Ninja. Remember that one, Ed? First came the Kung Fu craze and then came the Ninja craze. lol

I saw “Dragon” on cable. I was never a King-fu fan. I did see a documentary about them that showed clips from Jackie Chan’s early work and commented that he was using Buster Keaton and other slapstick comedians as inspiration for his fighting scenes. I’d like to see some of those films.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Buster Keaton or Jackie Chan films?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I’ve seen Buster Keaton. Compilations of his movies are available on DVD, and were in my local library.

Early Jackie Chan, that I haven’t seen.

I did read in his biography, that he’s in the crowd that attacks Bruce Lee in “Dragon.” Lee accidentally, actually knocked him out!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I was doing a radio interview the same day he was a billion years ago. I got to talk to him between his and my interview. What he said helped to guide my development in performance.

What he said was when he was making his move from stunts to the front roll Bruce Lee was obviously setting the standard. He never wanted to be seen as a copy. So where Bruce was serious and looked a certain way when he punched, he would be as opposite as possible. Nobody would ever confuse the two. He added the Buster Keaton sort of style to his ideas. Brilliant.

It made me think about development and how standing out different was important.

If you can find a way to watch "The Fearless Hyena" it is very early Jackie Chan.

"Snake in the Eagles Shadow" is also great. Same director as "Drunken Master" done a little later with sort of the same plot.

Yea get me started on Jackie Chan movies!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I happen to love Jackie Chan's work. I love it on several levels.
If you look at his IMDB page, he has ten movies that are in post-production or in the works.

His film "The Foreigner" did not get the best reviews, but I thought it was a great way to show the career of an action hero winding down.
Magic is like Science,
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Isn't he about 64 or so? I enjoy his work in comedy as much as anything. His Shanghai series as well as Rush Hour series are very funny.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Lucile Ball also starred in her own TV show for 6 seasons.

Other long-running series of more than 10 years (with mostly the same cast) are Frasier, Cheers, and The Big Bang Theory.

Law and Order SVU has been on TV since 1999, with Mariska Hargitay in every episode. Did you know she’s the daughter of Jayne Mansfield?
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
First person I thought of was Bill Bixby - but he's not up with some of the others listed here.

- My Favorite Martian
- Courtship of Eddie's Father
- The Hulk
- The Magician

There may be others, but I don't recall any.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Oct 28, 2018, Cliffg37 wrote:
I happen to love Jackie Chan's work. I love it on several levels.
If you look at his IMDB page, he has ten movies that are in post-production or in the works.

His film "The Foreigner" did not get the best reviews, but I thought it was a great way to show the career of an action hero winding down.

I don't remember everything in the bio, but I do recall, his studio (and in Hong Kong, the studio OWNED you; lock, stock, and barrel) tried to make him into the next Bruce Lee, which of course, he objected to. As punishment for not following the studio lead, they loaned him out to another studio where he made his first "Jackie Chan" style picture. When the head of HIS studio realized that he wanted to do "off beat," "comical" kung fu, they tried to write horrible scripts with leering and sex jokes. Took him awhile to get his style developed and accepted.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What actor/actress? (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL