The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Catch this if you can! » » Unicycle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

thinkofacard
View Profile
Regular user
UK
178 Posts

Profile of thinkofacard
Anyone got any tips on riding a unicycle?

My friend has just got one and we're trying to get the hang of it but man is it hard!!!

ANY help would be greatly appreciated! Smile

Cheers!

Mark
If you can't stand the blood, get out of the slaughterhouse!
Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
Yep, here ya go... this is quite a long post.

I learned the difficult way, using one hand to steady myself against a wall. There is an easier method and I've used it in workshops. It is based on Jack Wiley's "How To Ride a Unicycle" book - well worth a look, as is Charlie Dancey's "How to ride your unicycle" (the latter is available from Butterfingers). Do a google search on Unicycling and you'll find a good deal of info. There is also a news group: rec. sports. unicycling, or something like that. Use groups. google.com to check out their archive.

Anyway, back to learning to unicycle. The secret is to maintain a balance while in motion. Basically, to go forward, you are leaning forward slightly until you lose balance, and then pedalling forward, or increase the speed of pedalling, to correct yourself.

Make sure the saddle height is correct - when sitting on the seat, your leg should be able to reach the pedal when it is in the down position (closest to the ground).

Try to get hold of two assistants. Get them to stand on either side of you. Put the unicycle between your legs, hold on to the shoulders of your assistants, and hoist yourself up.

Using your assistants for support, lean slightly forward and make a half turn with the pedals forward. Didn't it feel weird? Do it again. And again. Keep practicing the half turn, then a full turn, then a few turns. Next try letting go of one assistant every now and then. Then try without either.

Within a week of pretty dedicated practice, you should be able to maintain a balance fine. Then, by using momentum and upper body, you can try turning etc. This is pretty easy once you can keep a balance. Then try going backwards (you may need the assistants for this). Once you can do this, practice idling; this is where you repeatedly make a forward and backward move, so you stay in one spot. And then juggle at the same time!

If you can't get assistants all the time, try going parallel to a fairly long wall and use it for support.

Also, it hurts like ^&## when the pedal hits your shins (and it will) so consider wearing football shin guards to start with.

Hope this helps

Cheers

ML
thinkofacard
View Profile
Regular user
UK
178 Posts

Profile of thinkofacard
ML

Cheers buddy! Smile

Once again you've helped me out big-time.

Thanx!

All the best..

Mark

P.S. Cheers for the info on the glass. Don't think I'll be trying that somehow!!!
:eek:
Mauro
View Profile
New user
Italy
49 Posts

Profile of Mauro
thinkofacard,
take a look at this site:

http://www.unicycling.org/

you can find some good suggestion about unicycle to buy and how to ride it...

ciao
Mauro

otherwise:

http://www.unicycle.com/

Mauro
thinkofacard
View Profile
Regular user
UK
178 Posts

Profile of thinkofacard
Thanks a lot Mauro! Smile

Cheers!

Mark
Mauro
View Profile
New user
Italy
49 Posts

Profile of Mauro
No problem Mark, if you need some help feel free to drop me a message...

cheers
Mauro
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
Seat height is very important. Try to keep your weight on your seat, not the pedals. and as soon as you can, get away from the hang on to the wall mount and start free mounting.

I start with my left pedal down and back a bit, as I get on this makes the uni. go backwards, which helps your weight move foward. And off you go!! (if you start with the pedal all the way down it is harder to get going.)
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
philipi56
View Profile
Regular user
grand rapids, MI
142 Posts

Profile of philipi56
Try getting between 2 rails and just going slowly back and forth. Eventually, you will be able to go forward for a few feet, then you will learn to turn. This is how I learned. It took about a month. You definitely have to be dedicated.
Philip
The Village Idiots
View Profile
Elite user
Orlando
464 Posts

Profile of The Village Idiots
I learned between two cars in my parents driveway many years ago. I did scratch my moms car, they forgave me.

You can't always find two people willing to help or a good rail system. Two cars are pretty easy to find.

Will
Some are born idiots.

Some are made idiots.

Some have idiocy thrust upon them.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
I learned holding onto a wheelie bin. It was one bruise filled week but I got there
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Catch this if you can! » » Unicycle (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL