The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The June 2004 entrée: Billy McComb » » A historical perspective » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

creesman
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of creesman
Billy
As we come up to the 60th Ann of D-Day June 6th what were you doing that day? An what was that time frame as a performer?
Cheers
reesman
Billy McComb
View Profile
V.I.P.
1922 - 2006
57 Posts

Profile of Billy McComb
I was crming as a medical student with a badge in my lapel which read M.R....Medical Reserve. All medical students had to wear it because they weren't serving. In Belfast (which was part of the United Kingdom we were bombed like everywhere else) and lots of our night were spent hauling dead bodies out of bombed buildings. EVERY night was like 9/11. One time they more or less set the entire center of the Town on fire.
They emptied the municipal swimming pools to lay out the dead bodies and we were there for the relatives to identify them. Half the time was spent persuading folks NOT to do this by the faces (often smashed beyond recognition), rather by rings or whatever, or trying to keep broken legs so's the feet were together and looked normal (we weren't allowed to tie them together). You got a perception of people when they were right down to the wire. No put-ons, no egos, just pure grief and worry. You learn by that. It helps in standing in front of an audience. You realise people are just people the world over.
Someone once said to me "What was the worst part of WW2. ?" I said "People I didn't know trying to kill me by dropping bombs on me" And they said ".....and they hadn't even seen your act !!!!!"
Billy
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
What an amazing story... bless you sir william...
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
creesman
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of creesman
Yes indeed. Thank you for sharing that with us Billy.
creesman
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of creesman
Yes indeed. Thank you for sharing that with us Billy.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The June 2004 entrée: Billy McComb » » A historical perspective » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL