The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Gary Kurtz's coin trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
HIDE
View Profile
New user
Japan
12 Posts

Profile of HIDE
I'm looking for the literature of Gary Kurtz's trick that three coins change from silver to Chinese one by one and at once.

Curtis Kam performs the similar effect using the goblet in his DVD and it is so nice.

Could anyone teach me how to get the literatures of Gary's one?

HIDE
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
It is in Gary Kurtz book Unexplainable Acts published by Kaufman and Greenberg as part of the routine called "Trio".

It is also in his Creating Magic video published by A-1 Magicalmedia as part of the routine called "Misty Like a Dream".
Click to visit:
Jason Wethington
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, Fl
615 Posts

Profile of Jason Wethington
The change to Chinese coins isn't in the book. It is only on the video.
Jason
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Ah—you're right Jason—I got my memory confused it with Kurtz Full Frontal Assault manuscript, he teaches a version of Chinese to silver coins at the end of that manuscript.
Click to visit:
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2957 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Misty Like A Dream is on his video Creating Magic.
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Hide,

In all of the changes from silver to chinese that Gary Kurtz has in print, all three coins change at once. You might like his handling of Roth's "Purse and Glass" (no glass) titled "Penny Lane" in Richard's Almanac. There, the changes are one at a time, but not back again, and the overall effect is different from what you're asking about, I think.

I discussed this sort of thing with Gary back in the late 80's and he did do what you describe. However, at that time he was doing David Roth's Edge Grip handling of "Wildcoin". You can find this in "Expert Coin Magic". (the book)
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Chris Toomey
View Profile
New user
Rhode Island
56 Posts

Profile of Chris Toomey
Since this is a thread about Kurtz coin tricks, I was wondering whether anyone knew where I could find Kurtz's handling of two copper one silver. It involves the use of two cards, and has the coins assembling one at a time under the cards, then some standard hand to hand transpotions, and ends with the two foreign coins under the cards. Thanks for any help.
Chris

PS. I was also wondering if anyone knew the name of this routine. Thanks alot.
Chris
LiquidSn
View Profile
Elite user
New York
472 Posts

Profile of LiquidSn
Cjtoomey

that is "trio in three"

great piece of magic.

I think its in his book, but it is in his videos
Blog about magic. by me.

Http://www.doublefacers.com
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
I am pretty sure "Trio in Three" was not in his book, but was on his video "Lets get Flurious".
Click to visit:
Darrin Cook
View Profile
Special user
621 Posts

Profile of Darrin Cook
I just got "Trio in Three" from his "Let's Get Flurious" video. Hocus Pocus magic shop was having a blowout, and I got it dirt cheap. I'm still practicing it, but plan on adding it to my repertoire. The structure of the routine is ingenious.
Chris Toomey
View Profile
New user
Rhode Island
56 Posts

Profile of Chris Toomey
Thanks a lot for the surprisingly quick response. I loved the trick from the first time I saw it performed expertly in the hands of fellow Café member Jason Wethington. It really is a great routine, and now I know where to get it. Thanks again.
Chris
HIDE
View Profile
New user
Japan
12 Posts

Profile of HIDE
Thak you for teaching me,
Mr.Dan Watkins and Jason Wethington.

I ordered the DVD "Creating Magic" from Magic Shop Today. Because I have only Unexplainable Acts and Lets get Flurious.

When he came to Japan, I took his lecture in Tokyo.
But he changed from close-up magician to mental magician. Thus I was not able to watch his "Misty Like a Dream". He showed only one trick to use coins(Coin through the table) in his act.

P.S.
Hello Curtis: Long time is no see. and Thank you for teaching me the detail information. I'll check Richard's Almanac and Expert Coin Magic.
Jason Wethington
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, Fl
615 Posts

Profile of Jason Wethington
You can see my handling of the effect over at http://www.sleightgeek.com. The video is called
"An old Routine of DA' MAN'S!" in the forum called video showcase. Doug Conn and I call Kurtz "Da Man" so it is a reference to that.
Dr.Fate
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Dr.Fate
I really enjoyed your handling Jason...nice.
HIDE
View Profile
New user
Japan
12 Posts

Profile of HIDE
Thank you all. I got the Creating Magic yesterday.

I visited http://www.sleightgeek.com after reading Mr.Wethington's comment.

But I lost my way, and I was not able to find it in that site.
Spydur
View Profile
Special user
PDX, now San Diego...back to PDX
966 Posts

Profile of Spydur
Does anyone in here have Kurtz's "Live in London" tape? I hear that it has some amazing stuff on there. Thanks.

C
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2957 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Jason, I like your touches on the coin handlings. I actually made a new version of it today that I'm happy with, if you're interested pm me.
iamslow
View Profile
Inner circle
Proffessional Slacker
2001 Posts

Profile of iamslow
Reed Mc Clintock and John Shyrock both have handlings of trio in three using the copper silver brass gimmicks instead of the 2 copper 1 silver.. I havent seen reed's, but I have seen john's handling, which is very good... Im sure reed's is very good too...
"Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face" Mike Tyson
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2957 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Iamslow, where are those routines published?
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2004-06-05 23:33, Dan Watkins wrote:
I am pretty sure "Trio in Three" was not in his book, but was on his video "Lets get Flurious".

"Trio" is in the book.
"Trio in Three" is on the Video.

Two different effects.

Frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Gary Kurtz's coin trick (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL