The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Still using the same effects? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

smacks183
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of smacks183
Just wondering what you guys thought about this. I enjoy putting a lot of time into new effects so they are ready for performance, however I have noticed that despite the vast amount of new material I have been learning that I always keep performing the same 5 effects when asked to do a trick. I understand that different effects play differently for different spectators, and for that matter for different performers, but I seem to be performing the classics; triumph, Biddle, cards to pocket, etc. In other words, out of the last say 5-10 books/DVD's I have purchased I don't think any of the material would result in the reactions from the effects previously mentioned, and, consequently, are not part of my routine. Just wondering what you guys thought about this and if you seem to be staying with these classics despite the new material you are learning. Thanks!
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2240 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
I buy new material over the course of the year, but being a full-time student find it difficult to find the time I'd need to really make new effects presentation-ready. I show half-baked presentations to my close friends who I always bounce ideas and techniques off of, but when it comes time to show effects to laypeople, I still go to the old standbys. I'm trying to break that now and get really solid on some new material. The old stuff is still good though, if it isn't broken, I'm not going to fix it. The new stuff will be for those repeat viewers who have seen a large sampling of my material.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
It all depends. I sit down for a cup of coffee or a beer and someone asks me to do magic I have about 20 effects that I randomly choose 2 from and do them. The same effects over and over.
When I perform a paid gig I usually have a set routine that I stick to and that features new material that I am happy to perform after sufficient preparation.
When I add new stuff to my routine I usually stic to the basics and replace one similar effect with another ie a cut and restored for another cut and restored. It keeps the routine balanced.
Hope this makes sense
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
I named it as 'Ambitious Card Syndrome'.

There was a magician who performed Ambitious Card in a TV program. The reaction was tremendous. When he was asked second appearance, he again performed Ambitious Card in exactly same way he did in former appearance. TV producer liked his Ambitious Card, so he was used in another program. He performed the same routine.

He was asked by other TVs and performed the same Ambitious Card again and again. After he appeared several times in TV programs, he disappeared.

If you can't escape from 'Ambitious Card Syndrome', you won't be able to get better job as a professional magician. (Especially in case of Close up magician who wish to work for TV).

Hideo Kato

P.S.
Above is a true story except the phrase "He disappeared'. No, he has not yet disappeared, but is still performing Ambitious Card!
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
There are some effects that I draw upon when asked to perform card magic without a chance to prepare or rehearse. I can literally do these in my sleep with any deck any time. When I have the benefit of time to prepare a show I usually do a mixture of new and old effects. If asked to perform on the spot say 3 effects totally surrounded with a beat up deck of cards (may not be complete), bad lighting and lots of noise in the background I do the following:
Challenging Aces (my version of Challenge Aces from CUCM)
Specific Gravity (my version of Oil and water)
One at a Time Aces (version of Marlo's Ace Assembly from Tarbell)
Richard Allen
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Richard Allen
I used to do the same thing... and then I'd realize, hey, I know other tricks too!

However, I haven't performed for a few months now. I sold pretty much all my dvds, and now I only have my books and my wits to develop my style.
Fishsticks
View Profile
New user
Greensboro, NC
70 Posts

Profile of Fishsticks
I like to learn new stuff, too. But nothing can replace my Svengali deck. I will always do that one. Always.
Mito
View Profile
Veteran user
Japan
319 Posts

Profile of Mito
I know who you mean, Kato-san.
Five t**t moves in a row!
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Hello Mito-san,

He is my friend, but not intimate enough that I may advice my opinion on his performance directly.

This is a kind of sarcastic post for him, but I believe he need to know how many magicians (and possibly TV people and lay people also) are feeling strange about his recent appearances on TVs.

He is a good magician, and I know he has a wide variety of tricks he can perform nicely. I only hope he will soon escape from Ambitious Card Syndrome.

Hideo Kato
Fayaad Manie
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of Fayaad Manie
Quote:
On 2004-06-16 10:49, Richard Allen wrote:

I sold pretty much all my dvds, and now I only have my books and my wits to develop my style.

You sold your DVD's?
Why is this?
BradleyNott
View Profile
Veteran user
Westwood, CA (UCLA)
351 Posts

Profile of BradleyNott
There aren't many things in videos that you can't learn from a published source, with certain exceptions of course. How much of the stuff you actually use in the videos you buy? I bet you hardly perform a few effects from all the DVDs you own, and if you sold them you'd still have the handling memorized. It's all about priorities.
If you were a hotdog, and you were starving...would you eat yourself? I know I would!
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1484 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
I see quite a lot of new material. In each book/DVD, there is a FEW things I like (with the idea of doing it myself) or nothing at all that I like. In the few things that I like, there are a few for which I say "Yeah, I'll do this one", and amongst them, some finally end in my repertoire. So, it changes quite slowly too. And yes, like you, I have one or two tricks that always pop-up in my mind when asked to perform.
For the moment, it is Arc de Triomphe of Guy Hollingworth.

The advantage of that is that all the things you see and don't select can add some details and give you ideas (move adaptations, or plot) to "improve" the trick you do (when I say "improve", I mean just make them more suitable for you character and presentation.)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Still using the same effects? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL