The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Is this ok to ask? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ChessMess
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of ChessMess
Lets say I see someone perform something, a coin routine, and I think I know how they did a particular part. Is it ok to ask in this forum if what I think is the way it was done?

Since I'm new I really don't know what is 'common' knowledge and if I accidently stumble on the solution to a specialty move (though very unlikely).. and I worry if I ask, outlining how I think they did it, it might be frowned upon.

What are the 'groundrules' when asking or outlining how you think a given item in a routine was done?
RandyWakeman
View Profile
V.I.P.
Plainfield, ILLINOIS
1617 Posts

Profile of RandyWakeman
Steve Brooks took the time to post his guidelines- - - - Steve is very clear:

Exposure & Passwords:

The blatant exposure of magic tricks is seriously prohibited in the public areas.

We do, however, have a special section called "The Banquet Room". It is here that you may openly discuss secrets.

Admission to this special area is granted once you have a minimum of 50 legitimate posts on the board.

Please do not ask anyone here for "Passwords" to other magic sites, or for answers to questions those sites may be asking for entrance.

Secrets:

Please do not ask for secrets to the workings of tricks and or effects. Buy the trick, book, or DVD like everyone else.
If you need help with a trick, email or private message the individual.
Chris A.
View Profile
Inner circle
AKA Chris A.
1123 Posts

Profile of Chris A.
Or you can do what I do and just private message that person and ask them. Keeping it private is cooler I think in many circumstances...
AKA Chris A.
Keepin' the Funk Alive
ChessMess
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of ChessMess
Yea, that's what I will do. It's confusing because you see people reference the slieghts used in the routines, but then you're not supposed to ask or say. lol
Darrin Cook
View Profile
Special user
621 Posts

Profile of Darrin Cook
ChessMess,

I think most members would be glad to help you out with a sleight, particularly via private message.

However, if you ask what the Downs palm is, for example, I would refer you to a book. David Roth is certainly going to do a better job of explaining the move than I am, especially with the aid of illustrations or video.
youngdanf
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of youngdanf
O.K. So I have a question then.
I've come up with (or I guess pieced together would be more accurate) a four coins across routine w/out an extra or gimmicked coin. I really would like some opinions and feedback on it, and hopefully ideas for improvements on it.
Where should I go for that? Is there somewhere I can post the routine?
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Chessmess,
You can ask anything you want.
The problem arises with the answer; if it is a move or method, then the answerer should probably not make it public on this board but PM you instead.
Just be careful when, in asking, you don't reveal to much in the question! Smile
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
ChessMess
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of ChessMess
Good Advice Peter, Thanks.

Dan, PM me or, probably better, Dan Watkins or Reed McClintock with the routine (I'm curious, the other two are the expert) and they can give you some good feedback.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Is this ok to ask? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL