The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » I need advice for my next purchase (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

joethebunny
View Profile
New user
Potomac, MD
31 Posts

Profile of joethebunny
I have been doing magic for a few months. I've pretty much mastered everything in RRTCM with the exception of the pass (I can do one but it is far from invisible).

I've had my eye on two products for a long time: the Street Magic Package from E and volume one of the Art of Astonishment. Which one would you recommend? I'm interested in doing hard-hitting impromptu magic with various objects such as cards, coins, etc.

Does Art of Astonishment contain many tricks of different varieties (cards, coins, etc.), or is it mainly card tricks? Also, how does Recap from AOA differ from the one in On the Spot? I watched the On the Spot demo, and the recap shown in it was amazing. I especially like the part where the pen cap disappeared and reappeared inside his ear. Does the AOA version have this?

Thanks.
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
AOA is simply jam packed with great stuff! It will keep you busy for many months and will be one of those books you go back to for reference over and over again. There are many different types of effects in there, not just cards.

And it's so well written it's actually fun to read (which is hard to say about most books).

My advice for you is to get started on the AOA series. You won't be sorry!
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
joethebunny
View Profile
New user
Potomac, MD
31 Posts

Profile of joethebunny
What about the Recaps? How does AOA's recap differ from On the Spot's?
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
It doesn't. They are the same routine as far as I can remember.
TheCaffeinator
View Profile
Regular user
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
126 Posts

Profile of TheCaffeinator
Art of Astonishment, definitely. You'll get enough powerful, distinctive material to keep you busy for months, if not years.

If you've read Royal Road, you've already encountered at least two of the effects you'll be "taught" on the Street Magic DVD ("Sick Aces" is really "Poker Player's Picnic", and "Trick Switch" is really "Design for Laughter").

You can find "Burned" and "Glass Stinger" in library books. "Chance Zero" is a rip of "Out of This World," and I believe Paul Harris has at least one handling of this effect in AoA. "Voodoo Zone" is a rip of Roy Walton's "Card Warp" -- there are better sources of this effect, and if you like topological magic, you'll find enough alternatives in AoA. The rest of the DVD is not worth $50, especially given the teaching style and overall packaging. But wait -- there are bonuses! Let's see...

"How to do one of magic's most guarded levitations..." Hmmm...type "Balducci" into Google and you'll see how guarded it is these days.

"Incredible card and coin flourishes"...Um, wow---the coin roll, how to fan...OMG!...that spread-the-cards-on-the-table-and-flip-them-over thing!

Incidentally, these "bonuses" are SOLD on other ellusionist DVDs, so if you bought those first then bought the Street package, you didn't actually get any bonuses.

I hope the choice is clear by now.

Oops, just realized I've been talking about the Art of Astonishment TRILOGY, not just volume one. However, AoA 1 certainly contains enough magic to blow the "Street Magic" package out of the water -- "Re-Set," "Las Vegas Leaper," "The Anything Deck," "Ultimate Rip-Off," "Flip Flop Plop," "Vacuum Cleaner Cards"... I could go on.

Also, YES, there's more than just card magic in volume 1 (as well as the entire trilogy), and YES, it's G.W.'s Recap.
jcards01
View Profile
Inner circle
Waterloo, IL
1438 Posts

Profile of jcards01
I always enjoyed Expert Card Technique after RRTC, although I took much longer to understand, let alone master, everything in RRTCM.
Jimmy 'Cards' Molinari
www.jimmycards.com
joethebunny
View Profile
New user
Potomac, MD
31 Posts

Profile of joethebunny
Quote:
On 2004-07-16 16:48, TheCaffeinator wrote:
Art of Astonishment, definitely. You'll get enough powerful, distinctive material to keep you busy for months, if not years.

If you've read Royal Road, you've already encountered at least two of the effects you'll be "taught" on the Street Magic DVD ("Sick Aces" is really "Poker Player's Picnic", and "Trick Switch" is really "Design for Laughter").

You can find "Burned" and "Glass Stinger" in library books. "Chance Zero" is a rip of "Out of This World," and I believe Paul Harris has at least one handling of this effect in AoA. "Voodoo Zone" is a rip of Roy Walton's "Card Warp" -- there are better sources of this effect, and if you like topological magic, you'll find enough alternatives in AoA. The rest of the DVD is not worth $50, especially given the teaching style and overall packaging. But wait -- there are bonuses! Let's see...

"How to do one of magic's most guarded levitations..." Hmmm...type "Balducci" into Google and you'll see how guarded it is these days.

"incredible card and coin flourishes"...um...wow...the coin roll...how to fan...OMG!...that spread-the-cards-on-the-table-and-flip-them-over thing!...

Incidentally, these "bonuses" are SOLD on other ellusionist DVDs, so if you bought those first then bought the Street package, you didn't actually get any bonuses...

I hope the choice is clear by now.

Oop...just realized I've been talking about the Art of Astonishment TRILOGY, not just volume one. However, AoA 1 certainly contains enough magic to blow the "Street Magic" package out of the water -- "Re-Set," "Las Vegas Leaper," "The Anything Deck," "Ultimate Rip-Off," "Flip Flop Plop," "Vacuum Cleaner Cards"... I could go on.

Also...YES, there's more than just card magic in vol 1 (as well as the entire trilogy), and YES, it's G.W.'s Recap.

Hmmm... ah, yes, I remember Poker Player's Picnic. That was the first trick taught in RRTCM I believe. Yes, I was very skeptical when I saw the glass shaker trick. I had known that trick for a long time, having learned it from the Klutz Book of Magic (a children's magic book ). However, I was lured to the package by some seemingly great effects. The effect for "Burned" seems very good as well as the trick in which a chosen card is found missing and then is rediscovered in a random person's pocket.

Also, the bonuses seem to be great tricks. But $50 IS a bit much for a DVD in my opinion, but then again it is the same cost as On the Spot. Right now AOA is looking like a better choice for me.

What book can I find the effect "Burned" in?
blindbo
View Profile
Special user
Bucks County, PA
790 Posts

Profile of blindbo
Quote:
On 2004-07-16 11:55, joethebunny wrote:
I have been doing magic for a few months... I've pretty much mastered everything in RRTCM with the exception of the pass (I can do one but it is far from invisible).

Yeah, my understanding is the pass is a little more difficult to master. You should give it another day or two.
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
The Recap on the video "On the Spot" is a little different than the first version in the AOA book. Gregory Wilson states that he modified it since then, and the one on the video is his current version.

I would suggest you get the AOA volume 1. It is truly a gem and a half to say the least.

I have had the trilogy for about two years now, and I keep referring back to them all the time. There is just too much good stuff contained within the pages.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Doing magic for a few months...

Have a look for the classics. The Paul Harris books are fun and also entertaining. As to being classics, perhaps. You might want to check out his style before going down the path toward anyone's material.

The Classics include the Alton Sharpe books, Expert Card Technique and a few others. You are well advised to start hunting for a copy of the Hofzinser book. That guy invented most of the classics. From there, you might want to learn about Alex Elmsley, Bro. John Hamman. Okay, Dai Vernon and Ed Marlo, too. That should keep you busy for the next month or two. Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
TheCaffeinator
View Profile
Regular user
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
126 Posts

Profile of TheCaffeinator
Quote:
On 2004-07-16 17:37, joethebunny wrote:
What book can I find the effect "Burned" in?

Scarne on Card Tricks is one source that is both readily available and packed with worthwhile magic for someone at the "I just read Royal Road" level. Trick # 138, "Thought Ablaze," is the same effect as "Burned," but with a slightly different setup (same core method, though). As mentioned above, you will also find a version of "Out of This World." "You Do as I Do," also "provided" by ellusionist, is in this book, as well as some material found on the Inside Magic DVD set.

Quote:
On 2004-07-16 17:37, joethebunny wrote:
Yes I was very skeptical...

When it comes to ellusionist, be skeptical. Be VERY skeptical.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I'd get the On The Spot video or DVD. That's what I'd get if I were you.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Vernon and Marlo. A couple of months is too much time to devote to their stuff. Maybe two weekends. Smile Smile Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
trenchant
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of trenchant
Marlo's "The Cardician" is a great place to start with Marlo's work. If you are serious about card work, you simply will have to study Marlo.
bonedaddi
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of bonedaddi
Jonathan nailed it. Keep with the classics. A good starting point would be 'Stars of Magic'. Cheap. Available. Awesome.

Kindly

Bonedaddi
dynamiteassasin
View Profile
Inner circle
Naval Air Facility, Atsugi, Japan
1158 Posts

Profile of dynamiteassasin
Don't get Street Magic Package from ellusionist!
instead get either
Crash Course 1
Crash Course 2
Kard Klub Underground
or Ninja 2

I have all these videos and I personally reccommend these.

Paul Harris AOA is good too,,, Smile
slydini9
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of slydini9
"Trendsetters" by Harry Lorayne is the best book on card magic I have ever read, and theres nothin gtoo difficult in it at all!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » I need advice for my next purchase (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL