The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Comment some of my sleights (video inside). (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magic-Daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
Denmark
1328 Posts

Profile of Magic-Daniel
Hi,

I have put together a small three-phase ambitious card routine with some sleights I have practiced for a while. The sleights are The Riffle Pass, The Top Card Cover Pass, and
A Small Variation On The Erdnase Color Change.

URL to the file is http://daniel.lvsr.org/ (7.5 MB) Click the link, and then Right click the file and save as.

Just want some critique on the sleights. The routine is just put together for the sake of the sleights.

P.S. Can anyone tell me what the name of the double lift I use is? I have forgotten the source.

Any comments is appreciated.

Thanks.

Daniel
dbiderman
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of dbiderman
I thought the riffle pass was good, and you protected your angles well. The double was good as well.

As for my critiques: the top card cover was kind of obvious (your hand movements were too stressed), and when you lift a single card off of the deck, you should lift it the same way as when you lift the double (or vice versa). Although the double was very pretty, it will be obvious that something is up if you are making two different movements at two different times to produce the same effect
Loempia
View Profile
New user
Belgium
9 Posts

Profile of Loempia
I found your top card cover pass better than your riffle pass. Your doubles were great and your Erdnase color change too. Very good job!
dynamiteassasin
View Profile
Inner circle
Naval Air Facility, Atsugi, Japan
1158 Posts

Profile of dynamiteassasin
Great job! Have you performed to an audience yet? Smile
Magic-Daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
Denmark
1328 Posts

Profile of Magic-Daniel
Thanks for the response.

Actually I'm just coming back from a four-year absences from magic. I have now found the same joy as I did when I started out. Had some issues in my personal life that got me away from magic (and a lot more).

Hmm... dbiderman, don't like my top card cover pass that much, but Loempia thinks it was better than my riffle pass. Smile The thinking with this top card cover pass is the hands stays near the deck a bit long. It can't be performed as quickly as an actual pass. So even though I think it's pretty invisible, it's still clear that something is happening. At least to a magician.

The cover pass I use is one from Larry Jennings. It can be found on his video/DVD "Thoughts on Cards". I will try to make it look more natural, or maybe look elsewhere for a different kind of cover pass.

Dynamite, I did perform a bit for laypeople when I started out in magic, but haven't in a long time. Don't think I will either, but will be a very serious hobbyist (sp).

BTW, have just signed up to the LVMI convention (coming all the way from Denmark!). Would be cool to meet with some of you guys.

Thanks again.

Daniel
dbiderman
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of dbiderman
"So even though I think it's pretty invisible, it's still clear that something is happening."

You are right that the move is pretty invisible as far as being able to see what is happening, but at the same time, like you said, the spectator will know that something is going on. Sort of like with the Erdnase color change, no matter what, the spectator will know that you are making some kind of movement. The key is to make it as smooth and natural as possible.

And again, I hope you didn't miss what I said about the double. While the double was good, try to make the single turnover look the same, or vice versa. While this is just a subtlety (sp?), that is what magic is all about.
Kevin Ram
View Profile
Special user
Travelling through Europe
791 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ram
Well done.
"Your the Italian stallion" As said by my g/friend
Glenn Alloway
View Profile
Regular user
Edmonton AB Canada
103 Posts

Profile of Glenn Alloway
Nice routine.

I really like your riffle pass. The only thing I would change is to simplify the moves. Slow down and make them look as simple as possible. Excessive riffling is not required when you can pass as well as you. Instead I would just do a wrist flick or something simple. All and all a nice ambitious effect.
"This is madness and yet there is method in it." ~Shakespeare
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Comment some of my sleights (video inside). (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL