The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Flash Cord In The Hands (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magique Hands
View Profile
Loyal user
Lincoln, NE.
247 Posts

Profile of Magique Hands
Hello Everyone!

I have been working on some flash cord (flash string) effects, where the flash cord transforms into a large necklace. Here's my problem:

I can't let the flash cord burn all the way up to my fingers, as to allow the necklace to fall in its place. The final part of the flash cord seems a bit too hot to handle. I've been working on this effect for quite some time now. Although the transformation looks good as I let the tiny bit of flash string go at the very end of the flash, is it possible to handle the flash cord in a way as to allow it to burn all the way to the end, while I'm still holding it between my fingers?

Any and all of your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Magically,
- - Troy
"If you go around sprinkling Woofle Dust on everything... people will think 'My... What an odd character." www.magicmafia.com
Cole
View Profile
New user
Calgary
63 Posts

Profile of Cole
Troy,
I don't know if this will work but it's worth a try. Maybe try wetting the tips of your fingers a little bit before performing the effect. It might help but I am not sure.
Best Regards,
Cole
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
I am not sure of what it is, but if you coat your fingers with a heat resitance substance (sorry for the generality here, I am sure it exists, but I don't have a clue what to call it) that might work. Or it might not.

The problem with holding something that is burning, between your fingers, is that heat has nowhere to go but to your fingers (can you say OUCH?). And a protective coating might not give enough protection from that kind of heat.

So you might be better off, to grip a small piece of something (some kind of gimmick or just a piece of string or something connected to the flash cord, that won't go up like flash cord) That might give you enough time delay, along with the flash and appearance of the necklace, to ditch the gimmick item.

Obviously the handling of it would be determined by how you make the necklace appear. And since I don't know your desired method, it would be hard to be more specific about what to use, or how to do it.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Stephen Barney
View Profile
Regular user
UK
130 Posts

Profile of Stephen Barney
Ouch! Be careful! I had some burn between my fingers and thumb. It hurts.

You could soak the end of the string in water. It will then go out before it gets to your fingers but will leave an end

stephen
KevinHall
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of KevinHall
The necklace itself is pretty heat resistant. See where I'm going?
cheaptrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Wilmington, Delaware
251 Posts

Profile of cheaptrick
I'd try Super gluing a sort of look alike string to the end of the flash string.

The heat resistant stuff that BroDavid mentioned is sold by Theatre Effects

http://www.theatrefx.com

As I recall, it costs about $10.00 for a modest-sized supply.

Smile
"Pick any card. NOT that one!!!"
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
The name of a good fire retardant is Stunt Gel, it runs from $10.00-20.00 USD for 2oz. there are larger bottles but it gets expensive.

I have always relied on letting go by rolling the string off of my fingertips before it reached a hot point.

So as the necklace "appears," I roll my index finger foward, thus releasing the string. People are too busy looking at the necklace to notice that split second move.

:imsick: Hey look this dudes pukin', cool! Never noticed him before.
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
pyromagician
View Profile
Veteran user
Tennessee
312 Posts

Profile of pyromagician
in a word............ gloves
P.S. this is what part of the alphabet would look like if "Q" and "R" were eleminated
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Flash Cord In The Hands (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL