The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Deck switch? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

pwagorn
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of pwagorn
I really like the 'Invisible Deck' and Svengali. Problem is, how do you throw those tricks into a card routine?

Any good ways of switching decks? I'm not normally wearing any coat with pockets, just regular street clothes.
RandyWakeman
View Profile
V.I.P.
Plainfield, ILLINOIS
1617 Posts

Profile of RandyWakeman
I'm presuming you've not been in magic long. You might want to think along the lines of developing ungaffed magic, and no one will be upset if you dress with a casual sport coat.

There's a certain satisfaction gained when you provide the magic, rather than a 100 year old pitchman's prop doing it for you.

I won't dismiss the use of completely gaffed decks- but, it might be wise to use them strategically.
sweetcarl
View Profile
Regular user
Brussels, Belgium
120 Posts

Profile of sweetcarl
Quote:
On 2002-08-07 01:32, pwagorn wrote:
I really like the 'Invisible Deck' and Svengali. Problem is, how do you throw those tricks into a card routine?

Any good ways of switching decks? I'm not normally wearing any coat with pockets, just regular street clothes.

Good question. As a beginner, I have been asking myself the very same question. So far, the solution I have used is very simple. If I'm having dinner at a friend's house and afterwards, while talking at the table, they ask me to show them something. I simply go get my deck of bikes from my coat (along with my Invisible deck) and leave the ID in my lap under my napkin. I then do a couple of effects with the ungaffed deck, and while they are getting over that I simply case the deck and switch it for the one in my lap. I do not use a "move" as such, as there's no need to. I was very nervous the first time I tried it, but it really was a piece of cake.

I think the most important thing is to create a fun atmosphere where people are talking about what you do and having a good time. That way there is always plenty of built-in misdirection.

I also like the ploy of emphasizing the psychological aspect of the effects I do, treating them more as "experiments in observation and perception". In my very limited experience, I have found that this approach really takes the heat off the cards and also off you. As a result, they are not trying to catch you doing any moves.
Official Translator to Christian Chelman and the Surnateum
Linguanet Quality Translations
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Of course, if you're performing on the street, setting the table up as if for dinner can look a little strange lol.

(just kidding sweetcarl)

But if you're dressed for dinner, you do have your jacket pockets.

Paul.
sweetcarl
View Profile
Regular user
Brussels, Belgium
120 Posts

Profile of sweetcarl
Quote:
On 2002-08-07 15:01, Paul wrote:
Of course, if you're performing on the street, setting the table up as if for dinner can look a little strange lol.

What? Don't you normally take your evening meal sitting at a table for two on the pavement in your coat and tails? Smile

Still, I like the image that conjurs up!
Official Translator to Christian Chelman and the Surnateum
Linguanet Quality Translations
MagiclDave
View Profile
New user
Maryland
50 Posts

Profile of MagiclDave
I wouldn't recomend switching at all just when you are done with the ID just put it in your pocket and take out a trick not involving cards. And the later you can come back to the ordinary deck of cards.

-Dave Smile
bandaid
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of bandaid
Smile Smile no intellect here
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1384 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
This is a bit overkill, but I used to like to make my invisible deck go from invisible to visible by having them toss it into a change bag.
aznviet6uy
View Profile
Veteran user
Santa Rosa, CA
315 Posts

Profile of aznviet6uy
put the cards in the box and say that was your last trick but then when u put it in ur pocket pull out the other deck and say "well maybe one more" thats how you can switch the deck... it would be better if you let them beg for another trick but if they dont then just say "well maybe one more wont hurt" or something like that.

ChriS
shhh..... I see Magicians.....
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
How about "and now let's do a test of imagination...using imaginary cards" as you pocket the deck you've been using. Do the ID routine and, at the appropriate moment, bring out the faked deck.

Logical?

Sid
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Deck switch? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL