The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » This is pathetic. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicgetsgirls
View Profile
Regular user
171 Posts

Profile of magicgetsgirls
I was looking through a Random House Dictionary today, and the following is the definition for patter...

"Meaningless, rapid talk, mere chatter."
Although many could debate this definition does not depict what we do as magicians,(Wow, that was a lot of "D's"!) I beleive it does. In fact, many otherwise good magicians make me cringe when I see good effects turn to crap simply by the poor way they are being presented. (This obviously includes script.)

In my opinion, anyone who feels that a trick can be turned into a worthy effect simply by "pattering" is cutting themselves short. If you are one of these people, try and put some worthy time into writing your script.

Or better yet, think of a powerful idea / theme, and THEN find a worthy effect. Don't just find an effect you like and blabber about it. After all, magic deserves a lot more credit than "Meaningless, rapid talk."

Best of luck to you all.
Someone who can use his hands is a laborer. Someone who can use his hands, and his mind is a craftsmen. Someone who can use his hands, his mind, and his heart is an artist.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Magic(etc.),
The dictionary definition of patter, and what other magicians mean by the word may be two very different things.

No one would argue that presentation isn't all-important.

And, sometimes, it is "patter" that makes the presentation; that's "patter", the magic definition, not "patter", the dictionary definition.
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
Webster's Magical Dictionary (yeah... I made that up) defines patter as:

pat·ter
1. One side of a dialog, related to the storyline or premise of a routine that aids, contributes to, or strengthens the magical effect in some way.

2. Something that a number of magicians do not fully understand or use properly.

Best,

Mike
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Spoken part of script for peformance of magic trick.

The key to this is the script.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Patter is just a very old term appropriated by Vaudeville performers and used by magicians of that era. It is simply a slang way to denote what is said during the performance and this was understood by those in the business as in "My act has songs, dance and snappy patter."

It should in no way reflect blathering or lack of careful scripting. Mr. Webster does not know all or see all.

Personally I like Wildstones new dictionary entry. By the way here is one more..."the opposite of pitter"

:) Frank
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Frank Tougas writes: By the way here is one more..."the opposite of pitter".

Aaaargh!

BTW, if I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet around my house, I'd put shoes on my cat!

:)
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Dictionary of newspeak?

Pathetic is when the encyclopedia says porcupines can shoot quills.

Pathetic is when people expect those who do a thing to be able to explain a thing.

Pathetic is where sorrow would be wasted.

The Complete Magician's guide to language?
prettylady1990
View Profile
Loyal user
206 Posts

Profile of prettylady1990
I like your Mike. It's funny but true
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
I like my Mike too Smile That's me... funny but true!

Jon - Magicians do have somewhat of a language of their own, not only verbal, but physical as well. When I think and talk with my peers about magic, performance, illusion, etc., it's all in terms of line of site, angles, beats, etc. Do you think a non magician would thoroughly understand what is meant by the phrase, " wait 2 or 3 "beats", and then open your hand...".

After a while we start to think and speak more like philosopher mathematicians than like "normal" people.

Best,

Mike

Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Specialized language serves political purposes.

Those who understand a thing can discuss it in very plain language.

The beat goes on.
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
RE: "Specialized language serves political purposes"

Agreed, it's also indicative of

1. Laziness, as in not working out the proper wording, opting instead to use common lingo and slang.

2. Low Self-Esteem, as in an attempt to make something appear exclusive and more important than it really is. i.e., "Sanitation Engineer vs. Garbage Collector.

3. Weak Social Skills, as seen in many people in my profession (information technology). Able to solve the worlds digital woes in a flash... but cannot carry on a normal conversation to save their lives. "How's the weather?" "Well, I'm not certain at present, but I could create a spanning tree algorithm to compute the probable answers to that..."

It's funny how specialized or cryptic language functions... even funnier how many people use it. I think it must be human nature... at some level.

Best,

Mike

CamelotFX
View Profile
Special user
Minnesota
596 Posts

Profile of CamelotFX
Other than transitions while the crew moves the props, stage magicians (the Pendragons, for example) don't talk. They sort of dance and pose. Mrs. Pendragon looks better in a catsuit than Teller. Hahahaha!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

OMG... the images of Penn and Teller doing the Pendragon act... funny!
muzicman
View Profile
Special user
LaCenter, Wa
989 Posts

Profile of muzicman
All professions have their own lingo and uses of words. It is interesting sometimes to listen to the words my co-workers use from a laypersons perspective. I work in telecom and a very highly technical, leading edge environment. My 10 year old daughter heard me explaining a technical solution to a complex problem to a co-worker over the phone. She said when I got off the phone.. "I have no idea what language you were speaking". It was funny after that to listen to technology lingo conversations in the workplace. All professions have their own lingo, and different meanings of what would be considered ordinary words.

Patter to me is the spoken part of my act. It is not meaningless and presents the verbal images of who I am, and why I'm there. To me, magic without patter is somewhat empty. This is not true for all effects so don't flame me. I just feel that without patter, it just becomes a visual puzzle to the audience. I love patter, as it allows me to transform an ordinary trick into a great effect. Patter matters!
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Don't jump to conclusion magicgetsgirls.
Patter goes much deeper than what you get as a definition out of a dictionary.
Daniel Faith
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
This discussion has gotten into areas which are misunderstood by most magicians.

As magicians, our technical language or "argot," has evolved to contain elements from the different arts and technologies that it encompasses. The definitions for these will not be found in a normal dictionary, unless we look to the third or fourth meaning in a list of definitions. Dictionaries such as the Webster's Collegiate Dictionary or the American Heritage Dictionary are not intended to serve as specialized technological dictionaries. If you look up medical terms in one of these dictionaries, the definition you get will not necessarily be totally accurate. So, let me go a bit further.

For example -- "patter" will have the most basic definition, which has already been given above. However, in musicals, the word "patter" refers to not only some of the scripting, but more often to songs with very fast lyrics, such as "Modern Major General." That's called "a patter song."

As magicians, we have adopted our own argot, or "inside language," not only for the purpose of concealing meaning from the outsiders, but also to make our conversations and our descriptions of things more compact. There is no reason for us to say, "Holding the top two cards as one, in perfect alignment, turn them face-up on the top of the pack," when "execute a double turnover" accomplishes the same thing in about 1/5 of the words.

However, some words also have a negative context, as does "patter." Too often, our scripting is no longer a script, but meaningless babble that serves as a semi-rhytmic accomaniment to equally meaningless movement.

And that is what we should try to eliminate.

Over the past twenty years, I have NEVER referred to the words spoken while performing any of the items I have written up as "patter."
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On 2004-11-10 14:30, Bill Palmer wrote:
This discussion has gotten into areas which are misunderstood by most magicians.
Over the past twenty years, I have NEVER referred to the words spoken while performing any of the items I have written up as "patter."

I suspect your audiences would not hear your presentations as patter.
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2537 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
I never use the word "patter" unless it is preceded by the word "pitter." Smile
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
In England con men often use the term "Patter" It means to talk persuasively. As in “I gave him the patter and he fell for it, hook line and sinker” Or “Be careful, he is good with the patter, he could make you believe black is white” I would not be surprised if the word, in this context, is not centuries old. It is similar to the way magicians use it. It sounds like it comes from persuasive chatter to me. Con men and magicians are both in the business of deception and it makes sense that they might use the same terms. Look at how many terms have come from the card table experts that are now used by magicians and visa versa.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
swiftshifter
View Profile
New user
Philippines
94 Posts

Profile of swiftshifter
Why is it exactly that many magicicans fail to uderstand that though a trick, by itsself, will work and probably even amaze, patter is also a part of the trick? It's like getting a space shuttle into orbit, the slightest speck of dust during construction would lead to disastrous results.

Just some thoughts.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » This is pathetic. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL