The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Creating a routine for the beginner (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Aurelius
View Profile
New user
Oshawa, Ont. Canada
14 Posts

Profile of Aurelius
I would like to creat a routine containing:
1 sponge trick
1 card trick with gaffed/ungaffed cards
1 packet trick
1 chop cup routine (simple for beginner)
1 coin trick
the patter/theme should be light and humorous.
Could you suggest some items for each category, and in what sequence I should perform it? What tricks would give the biggest bang at the start and at the end?
Thanks.
dynamiteassasin
View Profile
Inner circle
Naval Air Facility, Atsugi, Japan
1158 Posts

Profile of dynamiteassasin
I suggest you watch tons of videos then you make your own routine out of it. It works! Plus you can only add the strong stuff. Smile
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
There are a few basic effects in magic that is important in building a routine. There is a very nice thread on this on the Café just search for it.
Use these effects to build your routine.
i.e with a chop cup you are going to vanish things so don't just vanish a coin, a card and sponge ball later it is boring.
You can do a broken and restored coin, a transformation ( I hope I spelled this correctly) effect with a card ie it changes (maybe in a specs hand or whatever) and and then let the sponge balls travel from your hand to a specs hand or from your pocket to your hand (the normal spponge ball routine)
Build your routine around effects not tricks.
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
997 Posts

Profile of Aus
May I refer you to this post of mine that may give some insite to routining: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......1&19

If you can select effect to the steps here you'll know what to look for yourself and wont need to ask this question because you'll know.

Maically

Aus
paulsmagic
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of paulsmagic
Try to create a routine that naturally flows from one effect to the next. for example: professors nightmare rope trick, cut and restored rope trick, production box which produces at least one item that leads to the next trick such as an egg to be used with an egg bag. it goes on and on. also through in a few props for laughs (breakaway wand, breakaway fan). and make sure you have fun
what
View Profile
Special user
Lehi, UT, USA
643 Posts

Profile of what
For a few bucks, Dan Harlan has a simple show planning system. You might want to want to check it out.
Magic is fun!!!
metwin1
View Profile
New user
Singapore
60 Posts

Profile of metwin1
I'm only doing card magic. The only gimmicks I have are the stripper deck and the invisible deck. How many sleights must I get down to pat before even considering coming up with a routine?

How long do you spend practising a routine before you feel confident about performing?
King Of Pop
View Profile
Veteran user
Estonia
392 Posts

Profile of King Of Pop
I agree with you here dynamiteassasin, you can watch lot of different performances in http://www.magicvideodepot.com Smile Great place also Smile
God Bless You, I Love You From The Bottom Of My Heart
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
The effects you mentioned are actually a pretty diversified set...and I congratulate you on that.

Now, your goal is to get those effects to flow into one another naturally. How will you get from the chop cup to the a coin trick, etc...etc.

Make sure they all flow together.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
snap
View Profile
Loyal user
New York, USA
218 Posts

Profile of snap
I've heard it in more than one place, and actually use it myself when planning a show, that you should have your first trick one that's quick and to the point, something with a "wow" factor. your next trick should be something a little more drawn out, that lets the audience get to know you. the third should be something similar to the first (with a "wow" factor), yet not quite as stunning. and, finally, your last trick should be the best one you have, leaving the audience remembering you.
**--snap--**
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Quote:
On 2004-08-29 19:21, Aurelius wrote:
I would like to creat a routine containing:
1 sponge trick
1 card trick with gaffed/ungaffed cards
1 packet trick
1 chop cup routine (simple for beginner)
1 coin trick
the patter/theme should be light and humorous.
Could you suggest some items for each category, and in what sequence I should perform it? What tricks would give the biggest bang at the start and at the end?
Thanks.

Basics;
Coins across effect. Stands alone.

Chop Cup produces a sponge(s). Leave the sponge(s) in view.

Cards. A removing the pip effect producing another sponge.

Packet trick? Your choice.

Do a simple sponge ball routine in the spectators hands.
DJG
View Profile
Inner circle
1296 Posts

Profile of DJG
Nice Jaz, NICE! Oh Oh...me next!
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Quote:
On 2004-11-11 20:44, metwin1 wrote:
I'm only doing card magic. The only gimmicks I have are the stripper deck and the invisible deck. How many sleights must I get down to pat before even considering coming up with a routine?

How long do you spend practising a routine before you feel confident about performing?

With those two gimmicks, you can put together a killer card routine. Look up some of the material on the pitch routine for a stripper deck. Many of the tricks in there are useful and the pitch act for the deck can easily be modified for a show situation. Also look up 25 Tricks With A Stripper deck - it's an inexpensive booklet that has lots of great material in it.

If you want to work ungaffed, you will need to learn some basics - a control, force and a couple of revelations. The J. G. Thompson book The Living End has over 200 card tricks where you know one or two things - name of the card, location of the card or both. he then given you a BUNCH of killer endings from there.

For other materials, like the Chop cup, Brad Burt has a good video on that and he posts to the Café a lot. Coins, well, there's a lot on that - check out J.B. Bobo's Modern Coin Magic. There are several coin acts (combinations of tricks, with presentation) in there that are great places to start.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Creating a routine for the beginner (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL